Asus Z790-plus
CPU
i7-12700K
Graphics
RX 6900 XT
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Update went fine, except...

HDMI audio, after the 10.13.5 update, is dead. I am testing an XFX Radeon Vega 64, just so you know, and it and HDMI audio was working just fine with 10.13.3 and even 10.13.4. I've tried a new AppleALC, tried to build a new SSDT-HDMI.aml, tried reverting to the previous AppleHDA, tried a bunch of things, and it's a no-go.

Booting back into 10.13.4 and the HDMI audio on the Vega works.....

Update went fine, except...

HDMI audio, after the 10.13.5 update, is dead. I am testing an XFX Radeon Vega 64, just so you know, and it and HDMI audio was working just fine with 10.13.3 and even 10.13.4. I've tried a new AppleALC, tried to build a new SSDT-HDMI.aml, tried reverting to the previous AppleHDA, tried a bunch of things, and it's a no-go.

Booting back into 10.13.4 and the HDMI audio on the Vega works.....

Not sure if its any help, but my Dell 5K won't show up as Sound Device (displayport from Vega56) unless I use "whatevergreen" (I also have Lilu kext). Worth a shot.

Not sure if its any help, but my Dell 5K won't show up as Sound Device (displayport from Vega56) unless I use "whatevergreen" (I also have Lilu kext). Worth a shot.
I have a Dell 5k too. But a GTX 1080Ti. After Update to 10.13.5 my Dell won´t show up as Sound Device via Display Port too.
Smooth Update to me. Except the Sound over Display Port.
Anyone has a solution for me.

I have a Dell 5k too. But a GTX 1080Ti. After Update to 10.13.5 my Dell won´t show up as Sound Device via Display Port too.
Smooth Update to me. Except the Sound over Display Port.
Anyone has a solution for me.

Well, I tried your solution and at first, no change. Then, magically, for no reason and no change on my part, not in the bios, and not in the EFI, all of sudden, it started to work....:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

This also happens with real macs running vega 56 cards (not imac pro), in 10.13.5 (and maybe future updates/betas).

From a Macrumors user:
I figured out which driver isn't loading in 10.13.5 (and 10.13.6 beta) for HDMI audio. It's the AppleGFXHDA.kext. I ran "sudo kextstat" in Terminal.

So you are not crazy.

This also happens with real macs running vega 56 cards (not imac pro), in 10.13.5 (and maybe future updates/betas).

From a Macrumors user:
I figured out which driver isn't loading in 10.13.5 (and 10.13.6 beta) for HDMI audio. It's the AppleGFXHDA.kext. I ran "sudo kextstat" in Terminal.

So you are not crazy.

Well, that's good to know! Thanks for that.

Have you tried loading it after the fact, like with sudo kextload AppleGFXHDA.kext, and then did it load and you were able to use HDMI audio?

Oh wait, I'm guessing that you didn't have the problem, you just noticed this user had issues and posted it? If that's the case, nice!!

Last edited:
Haven’t tried it @mm2margaret - I use my monitor for youtube (via displayport, which now only works with whatevergreen - before it worked natively), and a usb DAC/Headphone amp for music :)

I hope you get it sorted with the kext. Is it possible to throw this kext in clover perhaps, to get it loading?

it's working now....as I mentioned, it started to work without any explanation or intervention on my part....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back