Contribute
Register

No hardware acceleration with RX570, random freezes every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the help guys!

My RX560 just arrived today, I bought an ASUS ROG RX560 16CU 4GB, and used @pastrychef 's EFI, it's been 2 hours since it booted, dual monitors and no freezes so far. Hoping it stays solid this time!

I had a kernel panic, and after rebooting, now I see these dots on the desktop:

f51b24d274139ac66d18b38f1daf18ef-png.jpg

2f346237634fb19b1ec36f7b554b6cd4.png

They weren't there before this kernel panic. How do I go about fixing this? I haven't changed anything on my config.plist file, just plain reboot and this happened :/

They weren't there before this kernel panic. How do I go about fixing this? I haven't changed anything on my config.plist file, just plain reboot and this happened :/

Try rebuilding caches. Open terminal and type this:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

I noticed that the artifacts only appear on the login screen and desktop background, youtube videos with hardware acceleration play fine, no flickering on games.. I also tried setting my main display to IGPU on the BIOS, and booted with my monitor plugged into the motherboard, no display on the GPU, and it also had the artifacts. Not sure what to do now :(

When I see stuff like that, the first thing that pops in to my head is dying video card....

When I see stuff like that, the first thing that pops in to my head is dying video card....

Yeah, that's what you told me earlier this week, and it was indeed a dying video card. This card I'm using is a brand new RX560 that arrived this morning :/

I'm fiddling with some settings, and it seems like SwitchResX initial resolution was causing the issue. I'm still not sure, but once I changed the resolution on SwitchResX, the artifacts went away.

Hi,
had these freezes too with my RX580, but for me, Pastrychefs EFI (found it in another Thread) fixed my Problems. (btw Thanks for that) - Maybe the boot args for WEG fixed the freeze Problem. I think I do not even have a platform id injekted.

Greetz Stinger

Nice Stinger22, his EFI has been running solid for me now, I have an uptime of 1 day, 4 hours, 33 mins so far, but have had it sleep 3 or 4 times already, no problems yet. Crossing my fingers! It really looks like SwitchResX was causing my last issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back