Contribute
Register

No hardware acceleration with RX570, random freezes every few minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll look for crash logs this next time it freezes. I can still move the mouse, but nothing else works. I haven't tried iMac 18,3, can I just write iMac18,3 on SMBIOS and regenerate serial numbers?

I'm using this rx570 mainly because of the dual monitor, I couldn't get them to work properly with my IGPU only. Without it, it seems to be a lot more stable.

If you had stability without the RX 570, you may be right in suspecting a defective card... The pixelated image you showed in post #1 is often a symptom of a failing card. Do you know how hot the card runs? Maybe you can replace the thermal compound on the GPU die...

If you had stability without the RX 570, you may be right in suspecting a defective card... The pixelated image you showed in post #1 is often a symptom of a failing card. Do you know how hot the card runs? Maybe you can replace the thermal compound on the GPU die...

What is the power supply rated at?

If you are familiar with clover configurator app it is real easy.

To use it first download then open it and select mount EFI. Once mounted select open and a EFI folder will appear. Open the folder then open the clover folder and right click on the config.plist. ( actually drag a copy of the config,plist to your desktop as a backup) right click on config plist and open with clover configurator. Now you can easily edit the plist. Go to Symboos and on the right side there is a set of arrows click on them and a list of definitions will appear. Select the iMac 18.3. Then use the SMUUID and generate a new one and the serial generate a new one. Click those a few times to get a new number. Peruse the other editing options and familiarize yourself with them. This app is great for quick editing of your config.plist. Close app and save th changes. Reboot and check it out. As long as you don’t change anything else it should boot normally.

Have you tried running an install of Windows on your system to see if the graphics card is defective ?
If not install the Nvidia drivers for Windows and see if all the graphics glitches occur there too.

Have you tried running an install of Windows on your system to see if the graphics card is defective ?
If not install the Nvidia drivers for Windows and see if all the graphics glitches occur there too.

It’s AMD RX 570, you mean the windows AMD Drivers?

Thank you for the help so far guys. I've tried iMac18,3 definition but still have random reboots. The RX570 runs fine on Windows, I don't get the pixelated image or reboots. I can't see how hot it runs on OSX but I'll run a benchmark on Windows now. I also have a GTX1070, I tried using it on Mojave but the 2nd display wouldn't work (I installed high sierra nvidia web driver).

Will run a benchmark on the RX570 now and will let you guys know.

Thank you for the help so far guys. I've tried iMac18,3 definition but still have random reboots. The RX570 runs fine on Windows, I don't get the pixelated image or reboots. I can't see how hot it runs on OSX but I'll run a benchmark on Windows now. I also have a GTX1070, I tried using it on Mojave but the 2nd display wouldn't work (I installed high sierra nvidia web driver).

Will run a benchmark on the RX570 now and will let you guys know.

You have web drivers installed were these before the RX 570 was installed?

@Gigamaxx I had webdrivers but I uninstalled them

Well turns out my RX570 was defective after all :( It looks like it was used for mining before I bought it, the BIOS was modded, I flashed the original BIOS on it but it didn't help. I booted on Windows and it ran fine, but then I ran the Heaven benchmark, and there were artifacts/glitches everywhere, it crashed shortly after.

I have a gtx 1070 but since there are no drivers for Mojave, I can't use it. I'm thinking about buying an RX560, it should work out of the box, right?

Is this the cheapest card that can work OOB with 2 1440p monitors? It seems that the GT710 can't support 1440p @ 2x/retina.

Thank you everyone for the help so far!

Well turns out my RX570 was defective after all :( It looks like it was used for mining before I bought it, the BIOS was modded, I flashed the original BIOS on it but it didn't help. I booted on Windows and it ran fine, but then I ran the Heaven benchmark, and there were artifacts/glitches everywhere, it crashed shortly after.

I have a gtx 1070 but since there are no drivers for Mojave, I can't use it. I'm thinking about buying an RX560, it should work out of the box, right?

Is this the cheapest card that can work OOB with 2 1440p monitors? It seems that the GT710 can't support 1440p @ 2x/retina.

RX 560 is good but don’t get XFX 460-560 models they are the only TX cards that don’t work. Also the RX 570-580 are selling at discount now so for $30-$40 more you can get about 2X the performance. Check out Newegg deals.

Yes, I think the RX 560 is the lowest end card you can buy new now. I got one a few months back for about $110 after rebate. I just plugged it in and it worked. I already had Lilu and WhateverGreen installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back