Contribute
Register

No Hardware Acceleration RX 6900 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
@CaseySJ

I think submit a question to technical staff.

One last thing:
in your opinion, given my configuration and for better experience with the RX &900XT it is better to use SMBIOS iMacPro 1.1 with WEG or SMBIOS Mac Pro 7.1 without WEG?

Thanks for support

@CaseySJ

I think submit a question to technical staff.

One last thing:
in your opinion, given my configuration and for better experience with the RX &900XT it is better to use SMBIOS iMacPro 1.1 with WEG or SMBIOS Mac Pro 7.1 without WEG?

Thanks for support
Does WhateverGreen reduce GPU speed? I have always had WEG enabled; I have one system using iMacPro 1,1 and two others using MacPro 7,1.

I would personally not use iMacPro 1,1 on new systems as it might get discontinued from macOS support starting next year.

When using MacPro 7,1 we should use CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider, both of which are in the EFI folder for this build (Asus ProArt Z690-Creator).

Does WhateverGreen reduce GPU speed? I have always had WEG enabled; I have one system using iMacPro 1,1 and two others using MacPro 7,1.

I would personally not use iMacPro 1,1 on new systems as it might get discontinued from macOS support starting next year.

When using MacPro 7,1 we should use CPUFriend and CPUFriendDataProvider, both of which are in the EFI folder for this build (Asus ProArt Z690-Creator).
Thank you @CaseySJ

Ok, if I understand correctly better to use MacPro 7.1 with WEG, CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataPower. The latter two Kext are compatible with TSCadjustreset.kext or this must be removed?

Thank you @CaseySJ

Ok, if I understand correctly better to use MacPro 7.1 with WEG, CPUFriend, CPUFriendDataPower. The latter two Kext are compatible with TSCadjustreset.kext or this must be removed?
I would suggest running GeekBench CPU benchmark (a) without CPUFriend and then with (b) with CPUFriend. Might be best to copy EFI folder to EFI partition of. uSB flash disk, make the changes there, and boot from the USB flash disk. Once you have found a good working combination, copy the EFI folder back to internal EFI partition.

On my Gigabyte Z390 Designare with i5-9600K (6 core CPU with iGPU) and AMD RX 580, I just downloaded and tested VideoProc:
  • macOS: Ventura public beta
  • Installed Intel Power Gadget v3.7.0 for Mac to monitor iGPU utilization
Here's what I found:
  • While converting your .mpv video to HEVC, there was no activity on iGPU even though we see this:
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 3.46.56 PM.png

Below we can see iGPU idle, but CPU is fully loaded. So this doesn't look good.
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 4.09.10 PM.png

• To verify that Intel Power Gadget is properly reporting iGPU usage, I downloaded and played back the Sony 4K Camp video, and sure enough iGPU got used:
Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 4.11.17 PM.png

Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Very good test, I wouldn't have gotten there...:clap:

So it can be deduced that it is a problem due to VideoProc...

EDIT
I noticed that some users of 6800-6900 use an ad hoc SSDT for the video card in order to have this situation that I show you in the screens (I'm showing you this to ask if it may have anything to do with my video working properly)

Attachments

• screenshot_12.png
    screenshot_12.png
    196.3 KB · Views: 56
  • screenshot_13.png
    screenshot_13.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
@CaseySJ

Mmmm....I have reproduced the conditions of your test. But this time I used Davinci Resolve 18 for the test. My system is liquid cooled, the ambient temperature here is over 30 ° C and judging by the Intel Power Gadget and the CPU temperature during the test it seems that the AMD hardware acceleration is not working even with DR 18: as you can see the rendering is also quite slow.

Attachments

• 2022-07-25_09-51-46.mkv.mp4.zip
    24.8 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Interesting. I can test that method later today. If it works I’ll modify the SSDT for your system.

On my system GFX0 is present by default, but VideoProc does not use the AMD GPU.

Screenshot 2022-07-25 at 9.04.35 AM.png

Nevertheless, feel free to try the attached SSDT, but it may need one or two revisions. After installing the SSDT and rebooting, let's take a look at the same PC02.BR2A.SL05 section in IORegistryExplorer, but simply scroll (not 'search') down to that section and post a screenshot.

Attachments

• SSDT-BRG0.aml
    108 bytes · Views: 32
Load your SSDT, but seems to have no effect

Attachments

• screenshot_15.png
    screenshot_15.png
    94.8 KB · Views: 42
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back