Graphics
EVGA nVidia GTX 960 4GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Windows Phone
Hi I just got my hands on a Dell Precision T5500 machine. I created an installer with clover. For some reason none of my HDDs and SSDs have not been showing up in Disk Utility. People have reported that this is a common issue with this machine and it has to do with the AHCI not loading/or not being supported. I was wondering if any of you had any idea's for as to what I can do to fix this. Should I buy a RAID card or something to get the volumes to show up?
Thanks!

Often your BIOS has a setting for SATA drives/controllers offering options such as ATA, AHCI, and/or RAID. You want to set that to AHCI and save/reboot and try again.

Hi thanks for the quick reply! AHCI is enabled in the BIOS and still nothing.

I think it is also worth mentioning that this computer runs on the Intel 5520 chipset. Would creating a RAID volume fix my issue of the detection? Are there any kexts that I could try to fix this?

Typically El Capitan cannot see RAID volumes created with the BIOS RAID features.

I have no idea whether there's something available to enable support for that board. I'd search the site for the board or chipset or things like that.

If all else fails, you might try a PCIe SATA card that's supported in OS X, though it's possible that would just turn up other problems. If you have two USB drives you could try installing from one to the other just to see if you're able to get through the install and activate any hardware you particularly require.

Ok thank you! I will keep the thread updated.

Ok so I bought a RAID SATA III card from newegg which came in yesterday. It has the Marvell 88SE9230 chip on it. I'm having the same issue as before. No hard drives showing up in disk utility. Would I need to create a logical volume on the card before trying to install os x to make it detect the hard drive + SSD? I can currently access the HDD and SSD on the card though Windows without creating a logical volume. Thanks.

Hi there, do you managed this issue with hdd on disk utility ?

Today I got a Dell T5500 and have the same issue.

regards,

No i have not managed to fix the issue. It seams as if the AHCI chip on the pci controller I bought does not support El captain. I haven't played around with it much but if you get somewhere let me know. I would really like to get this beastly machine running os x.

Found yesterday these threads which may help us to install osx on dell t5500:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/300572-hp-z600-workstation/page-3
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/305822-help-with-hp-z600/

the hp z600 is the same as dell t5500 is, so we can go with these instructions very well.

For test, I've got installed EC on external Usb Hdd and it work, all cpu works, graphic card works but no AHCI to find the sata hdd works. So I will find these kexts soon (kexts for sata hdd mentioned in these threads) to see if I get this work. Attached are the screen shots running EC on external usb hdd.

Will keep updated this as I will manage this to work properly.

Screen Shot 2015-12-30 at 06.36.26.jpgScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 06.36.34.jpgScreen Shot 2015-12-30 at 06.36.48.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back