Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have my system set up as Mac Pro 3,1 - but I've noticed a lot of folks with graphics cards have gone the way of iMac (12,2).. any reason for this?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

I use 12,3 (12,2 is similar) because I have an ivybridge processor (same as yours) and wanted CPU power management to work. I couldn't use the Macmini6,1 because I have a discreet GPU but an imac does.

this doesn't effect the OpenCL bug either way you choose :(

The fix worked for my MSI GTX 760 on 10.9.1 perfectly, too (which have the GK104 type like the GTX 670).
I tested it with Quicklook and Preview and the Freqs don't stuck at a high value; it go up and down like it should (see the screenshot).

On my H1 Hackintosh I have exactly the same issue.
OSX Mavericks 10.9.2 on mob GA X79s UP5, core i/ 3930k, EVGA GTX 760.
NOTE: either if you have the NVIDIA web driver or if you use stock OSX driver, it won't make any difference.
I just tested the thing in borth configurations and it works in the same way.
I also noticed Davinci Resolve Lite works way better with Mavericks stock driver than web driver, so I just forgot the web drivers for now, keeping the CUDA core up to date and active in case I need it to kick in during specific tasks (After Effects for instance).
I have put the graphics card in the ADOBE Premiere Pro/After Effects list, and I have the gpu acceleration active on both applications.

On a basis of dozen of tests here's what happens.
Boot from off, the GPU clock sit on 125 mhz, barely active:
GPU1.jpg

If I click on HWMonitor menu, nothing happens.
Gpu clock stays on idle, fresh, inactive.

It stays that way, being able to clock up and down, if I run Cinebench, for instance.
It throttle up to 1.10 or more, and once Cinebench ends the benchmark the clock slows down towartds the minimum.
It goes up to 1.25 ghz, with a optimum performance:
GPU2.1.jpg

Once is finished, it sits back to idle (purple line).
GPU2.jpg

The temperatures follow the rendering performance, going from 24 celsius to over 40, and then reducing again the temp to a decent minimum around 25 celsius.
Just a perfect power management.

If I go for Davinci Resolve lite, it's exactly the same story.
If I use my DAW (DP8) with dozens of plugons for a scoring project (including video sync) it works like a charm.
No issues.

As soon as I start using itunes, for instance, or preview, or quick look in finder, the gpu jumps to 1.07 ghz, wit themperatures around 35 celsius, and simply won't get beck to idle, no matter what:
GPU3.jpg

Is works the same if I use Final Cut Pro X 10.1.
Same thing if I go for Premiere Pro.
Same if I launch any OPEN CL benchmarks apps.
The clock goes to 1.07 ghz and simply won't get back to the minimum, loosing some of the power management features (it will be able to rise to 1.25 ghz again on a load of work and reduce again to 1.07 ghz, but it won't get back to its original idle status anymore until reboot).
Again, it seems the issue is with applications that uses OPEN CL.
Once enabled, the engine won't allow the gpu to get back to its idle status.

I was also considering the MacAndor fix:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards-19.html
but assigning the OPEN CL computation to the CPU it's not my cup of tea, because I prefer to get all the video load on the GPU, since I'm using CPU for other tasks (READ: complex audio computations in film-scoring sessions).

NOTE: after rebooting, the issue disappears and you can reply this fix a limited amount of time.
If I re-boot too many times in a row (let's say 6 to 10 times) the GPU clock won't reset anymore and I have to shut the machine down completely.
After I shut down the Hack and boot again, the clock is completely reset, and it sits at its original clock of 125 mhz, cold and silent.

So here's my guess: what if I install a GTX 680 instead?
On the Apple Support there's a list of graphics card supported, maybe it will make any difference using a different Graphics card?
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4664
What if I install a Evga Geforce Gtx 680 Mac Edition, for instance?
http://www.evga.com/products/Specs/GPU.aspx?pn=da5dc70b-d8b1-4f97-8dd9-1f71e3fa1308
Maybe this is a known issue that occurs only with some GPU cards?
Any clue?

Cheers mates.

Same here with real Mac Pro 3,1 with GTX690 after open OpenCL apps. im stuck to 914mhz :problem:

10.9.3 is out today or tomorrow because the beta in mac dev is remove.

Same here with real Mac Pro 3,1 with GTX690 after open OpenCL apps. im stuck to 914mhz :problem:

10.9.3 is out today or tomorrow because the beta in mac dev is remove.

Not yet available.
I'm just wondering if this issue is present even on Radeon cards, like R9 280x for instance, that it's supposed to be the brother for full HD screens in AMD world of GTX 770 or similar.

I also experience the issue with the GPU not going back to idle.

Xeon, GA-Z87MX, MSI N760 2GB, MAvericks 10.9.2.

It seems to be a Mavericks-related bug.
M-LION didn't have this issue with GPU PM.
Let's see if they can solve that at Apple with the next update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back