Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a (maybe) stupid question:

Are GTX-680-cards also affected by that OpenCL-Bug (stuck at high frequencies) or do those cards run well ??? I am asking because those old drivers from nvidia do support gtx-680-cards ! If this question is absolutely stupid, forgot it, i was never in here before :) !

Just a (maybe) stupid question:

Are GTX-680-cards also affected by that OpenCL-Bug (stuck at high frequencies) or do those cards run well ??? I am asking because those old drivers from nvidia do support gtx-680-cards ! If this question is absolutely stupid, forgot it, i was never in here before :) !

If I am not mistaken, you should be able to install FakeSMC + Plugins + HWmonitor and see if your GPU is stuck at a higher frequency or if it throttles down. My 760 was stuck at 1006Mhz after using anything OpenCL related. With Macandor's patch, it idles at 135Mhz. I don't use the nVidia drivers as they added nothing.

Hope this thread is not completely dead
I hope this information might help one of us with this issue, to resolve it.

So I have MSI GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5 with Asus Z87-A motherboard. Now I have tried some options and found that when using GraphicsEnabler=Yes, which in my case unfortunately means losing HDMI Video and sound because only 2 screens work after when this is used. But the Graphics Card itself works as it should, clocks up and down no problem, temp are about 26c. I haven't don't much testing yet. When using no boot options for Graphics all my connections work including hdmi video/audio, but get minimum of 679MHz and GPU Heat stays around 34c. Most of the time gets stuck at 1.02MHz and never comes down.

So hope this information helps some that has more skills then I do at checking IO and drivers.

For my config: GA-Z87X-UD5H, Asus GTX760 DCII OC 2GB, chimera 2.2.1, I don't get any changes when GE=Yes. Same 1Ghz stuck when using quicklook.
GPU at 44C at the moment..

Tested a little further and at one point mine also gets stuck at 1.02, depends on which application I'm using. So might be something that is in your starting up and getting it stuck there. So Yes GE=Yes makes no difference in the long run either way.

Thanks

You need to edit the thresholds for G-states of your card.

The section of macmodel i'm using (for me it's iMac12,2)
GTX570 - DeviceID1086.
Code:
<key>iMac12,2</key>
            <dict>
                <key>Vendor10deDevice1086</key>
                 <dict>
                     <key>Heuristic</key>
                     <dict>
                         <key>ID</key>
                         <integer>0</integer>
                         <key>IdleInterval</key>
                         <integer>150</integer>
                         <key>SensorOption</key>
                         <integer>1</integer>
                         <key>SensorSampleRate</key>
                         <integer>4</integer>
                         <key>TargetCount</key>
                         <integer>5</integer>
                         <key>Threshold_High</key>
                         <array>
                             <integer>55</integer>
                             <integer>75</integer>
                             <integer>100</integer>
                         </array>
                         <key>Threshold_Low</key>
                         <array>
                             <integer>0</integer>
                             <integer>87</integer>
                             <integer>95</integer>
                         </array>
                     </dict>
                     <key>LogControl</key>
                     <integer>1</integer>
                     <key>control-id</key>
                     <integer>18</integer>
                 </dict>
                 <key>default-control-id</key>
                 <integer>18</integer>
            </dict>
For GTX570 there are 3 PM states ("Threshold_High/Low" sections). For any other card the number of states may differ.
I dont know how to find out the number of states at the particular card.

I have my system set up as Mac Pro 3,1 - but I've noticed a lot of folks with graphics cards have gone the way of iMac (12,2).. any reason for this?

I guess I would have to change my system definition regardless - as the MacPro3,1 doesn't seem to appear when opening up the AppleGraphicsPowerManagment.kext/Contents/Info.plist with TextWrangler.

Oh yeah I'm using a fresh install of 10.8.5 with a GTX570, Z77 UP5 TH & i5 3570K.

Last question - if this build is to be used mostly for video editing, is it really that beneficial to have GPU Management? I would like to get the most performance out of the system by running it in a 'high performance mode' and have tweaked the computer's power options so that sleep is disabled, disks never sleep etc...

I must mention that the machine will be used for music as well, but currently it is not too loud (louder than my personal tastes, but my DAWs don't have graphics cards), when running the graphics card with no power management.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Why are there so few people who can read and use this ability?
Changing the agpm.plist does not change anything, the clock bug is only related to the badly implemented opencl - the power management does not have to do anything with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back