Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people have reported that disabling OpenCL for GPU fixes the issue.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards.html

EDIT : It works ! I've been opening and closing quick look for the past 5 minutes and the GPU core speed goes down everytime. Sometimes, it doesn't even moves. I've noticed that sometimes the GPU Memory clock get stucks at high frequency but only for 30 seconds or so.

Screenshot : graph when opening and closing quick view around 10 times.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 6.11.50 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 6.11.50 PM.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 830
Some people have reported that disabling OpenCL for GPU fixes the issue.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards.html

EDIT : It works ! I've been opening and closing quick look for the past 5 minutes and the GPU core speed goes down everytime. Sometimes, it doesn't even moves. I've noticed that sometimes the GPU Memory clock get stucks at high frequency but only for 30 seconds or so.

Screenshot : graph when opening and closing quick view around 10 times.

Second this! I am running on a gtx 760 and clock run up and down like they should. (especially when using quicklook and preview for pictures)

wow, cool to hear about this message! Means that, our Mavericks systems have no disadvantages in contrast to ML builds? Everything works like it should?
If yes, I want to know, how you do it. Like described in the thread of the guide?

wow, cool to hear about this message! Means that, our Mavericks systems have no disadvantages in contrast to ML builds? Everything works like it should?
If yes, I want to know, how you do it. Like described in the thread of the guide?

This is a workaround, and no it's not fixed. For those of us who don't need GPU OpenCL, it would seems like its fixed. But for people using OpenCL application like some adobe applications this will cause other troubles.

I only make music production with OSX and I game with Windows 7 so I really don't have a problem disabling that.

If you want to apply the fix, you just need to do what is said on the guide. However, you don't need Xcode. When creating your certificate, OSX will tell you that it's missing a plugin and will download it.
I would suggest however to repair your permissions prior to the reboot.

Did anybody tried this with GTX 670 (GK 104 ?) ? Or is this just for GK 110b-cards ?
And does this means, photoshop won't work anymore or will crash ?

Did anybody tried this with GTX 670 (GK 104 ?) ? Or is this just for GK 110b-cards ?
And does this means, photoshop won't work anymore or will crash ?

Yes, it worked with my 670. See my post in the other thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/122777-fix-opencl-crash-gk110b-based-cards-5.html#post751819

Apps continue to work. OpenCL code can be run on the CPU or on the GPU. Running OpenCL code on the GPU seems to be responsible for causing the GPU clock to get stuck. This patch basically forces OS X to run all OpenCL code on the CPU, and the bug with the GPU doesn't get triggered.

Second this! I am running on a gtx 760 and clock run up and down like they should. (especially when using quicklook and preview for pictures)

The fix worked for my MSI GTX 760 on 10.9.1 perfectly, too (which have the GK104 type like the GTX 670).
I tested it with Quicklook and Preview and the Freqs don't stuck at a high value; it go up and down like it should (see the screenshot).
I tested the power consumption of my whole system, too and it was around 65 Watts like in Windows 7. The temp of the GPU is around 29°C and the fans of the card is around 1020rpm in idyle.

gpu.png

No.

opencl still leaves card at full stock throttle. It's interesting that it leaves it at stock throttle though. My gpu sits at 979Mhz when full throttle is 1.1Ghz.

Personally this is a much better bug than the "B" card bug i spent months with. At least now GK110B are now right there with the "A" revs and earlier nvidia cards with the full throttle bug instead of crash bug :) That's once you take the opencl lib out of R331 package and replace the one in 10.9.2's geforceGL kext.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back