Contribute
Register

No GPU Power Managment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also thought that SpeedStep would not work but then I tried that tool and looked at the power consumption i put my computer into. It showed that there were more than two states and the Intel tool proved me right.

I just recently installed Mavericks 10.9.1 over a Lion Installation on a spare partition to test compatibility of applications.
Reading through this discussion I thought I'd do some test myself on my Sandy-Bridge System with NVIDIA GTX 650Ti and compare those with the behaviour on 10.8.5 which I still use day to day.

I have not changed the AGPM-kext and I am still using MacPro3,1 as a system profile on both versions.

Luxmark 2.1 freezes clock rate on both systems to maximum level, FCPX works well on both system and VLC and Quicktime also play back without hiccups at lowest GPU clock for a H264 576x768 video.
The only difference I could detect so far is that 'Preview' freezes the GPU clock at its highest level on 10.9.1 when displaying JPG, while it does keep GPU clock at lowest level using 10.8.5. PDF-files are not causing this freeze.

SpeedStep on CPU works great on both (I am using Chimera 2.2.1 with "Generate P-States"=YES and "Generate C-States"=YES and a DSDT for my motherboard)

Please see details in the attached file.
I should mention that I am using the latest HWMonitor under 10.9.1 while under 10.8.5 I am using the version from Mulitbeast 5.5.5.

So my conclusion is that there are still issues with the OpenCL implementation (probably carried over from 10.8) and that modifying AGPM-kext has no effect at least for my GTX650Ti regardless of OS X version.
While I can live with the Luxmark issue, let's hope Apple fixes the issues with 'Preview' in 10.9.2.

[EDIT] Please see also my experience with AGPM under 10.8 here:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-hardware-discussion/75540-gtx-650-ti-thread-8.html#post539800

Attachments

• GPU Power Management.pdf
    20.5 KB · Views: 316
Thanks for the advice I will try the Intel's gadget out, but for p states I am using DPCI manager and it reports the same values as HWMonitor does.

Edit: I tried it out and if the values Intel tool shows are accurate it looks like we are having a better CPU power management than HWMonitor shows..

My p-states didn't show properly until I created a DSDT. I forget the thread on here, but I followed the steps it outlined.

My AGPM gets loaded fine,
but with unkonow plattform.

Does anyone have a edited version of
AppleGraphicsPowermanagement for a GTX770,

By the way i´m using smbios MacPor5.1

Greets
Schimmi

where can i download the latest beta (13C39)?

Well, it's true there is still a bug. But for the system I am running, the improvement is huge.

For others, well..your mileage may vary.

I updated to the latest beta, thinking nothing was fixed and I experienced the same problem when using HWMonitor. But the problem was HWMonitor. Now after using another temperature monitor the GPU scales back how it should, but clocks right up when preview app is opened

I updated to the latest beta, thinking nothing was fixed and I experienced the same problem when using HWMonitor. But the problem was HWMonitor. Now after using another temperature monitor the GPU scales back how it should, but clocks right up when preview app is opened

What temp. monitor are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back