Contribute
Register

No functioning USB ports GA-x79-up4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

Has anybody else managed to install El Capitan on this board successfully? I've managed to install with nvidia drivers however none of my USB ports are working, even mouse/keyboard etc. I've noticed threads about fixing USB 3 but I haven't seen anyone else have none of the USB ports working. Are there any essential kexts I might have missed?

I have turned off USB 3 support in the BIOS but surely this wouldn't turn off all the USB 2 ports?

Thanks.
I got same issue, but I'm just solved it.
Have to fix your DSDT like this.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/175655-cant-update-yosemite-el-capitan.html

For me, at Sabertooth z77, 3 back USB 2.0 doors stopped working with El Capitan.

Solution here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/306777-guide-usb-fix-el-capitan-1011/page-1

I used the method number 3. Just install DummyUSBEHCIPCI.kext in EFI > CLOVER > KEXTS > 10.11 folder and apply this DSDT patch code in Clover config.plist:

Code:
<key>Patches</key>
			<array>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>EHC1 [to] EH01</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					RUhDMQ==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					RUgwMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Rename XHC to XH01 (1 of 2)</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					AhBBcA==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					AllBcA==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>EHC2 [to] EH02</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					RUhDMg==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					RUgwMg==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Rename XHC to XH01 (2 of 2)</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					WEhDXw==
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					WEgwMQ==
					</data>
				</dict>
				<dict>
					<key>Comment</key>
					<string>Windows to Darwin</string>
					<key>Find</key>
					<data>
					V2luZG93cyAyMDEz
					</data>
					<key>Replace</key>
					<data>
					RGFyd2lu
					</data>
				</dict>
			</array>

Apply inside this in your config.plist:

Code:
<key>ACPI</key>
	<dict>
		<key>DSDT</key>
		<dict>
                /// Add code here
                </dict>

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses! I will try out these methods and see what happens. @5star I feel you, I'm thinking of swapping for another mobo if I can't get anywhere. Also had a nice clover yosemite set up so its weird that its really not liking the el capitan. I think it must be something to do with the EHCI/USB Handoff. USB el capitan installer didn't work for me either, tried every bios/flag combo. However you can direct update to el capitan from your yosemite clover but you will probably end up in the same situation as me without any USB. If you try it make sure USB3 is turned off and EHCI handoff=enabled in bios.

I got same issue, but I'm just solved it.
Have to fix your DSDT like this.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capitan-desktop-support/175655-cant-update-yosemite-el-capitan.html

Thank you so much! That solution has given me some working ports! I changed EUSB to EHCI and USBE to EH02 in DSDT.aml Not sure why some random ports are working and other aren't though. Do you have all USB 2 ports working?

Anyway I can live with at least a couple of them working, thank you!

Thank you so much! That solution has given me some working ports! I changed EUSB to EHCI and USBE to EH02 in DSDT.aml Not sure why some random ports are working and other aren't though. Do you have all USB 2 ports working?

Anyway I can live with at least a couple of them working, thank you!
Because I'm using bare platform, so I don't have any front USB.
All rear 2.0 ports works normally.

Also, You can check AppleEHCIPCI.kext inside the IOUSBFamily.kext
MacPro3,1 only have EHCI, didn't have EHC1 or EHC2.
So it's useless to change USBE to EH02, unless you using different machine type.
Maybe you can try MacPro5,1 , this one got EHC1 and EHC2.

Must important is, DO NOT CHOOSE MacPro6,1. Because MacPro6,1 only got 1 USB 2.0 port work.
Is "Port", not "Controller". Remember it.

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses! I will try out these methods and see what happens. @5star I feel you, I'm thinking of swapping for another mobo if I can't get anywhere. Also had a nice clover yosemite set up so its weird that its really not liking the el capitan. I think it must be something to do with the EHCI/USB Handoff. USB el capitan installer didn't work for me either, tried every bios/flag combo. However you can direct update to el capitan from your yosemite clover but you will probably end up in the same situation as me without any USB. If you try it make sure USB3 is turned off and EHCI handoff=enabled in bios.

OK, I'll mess with those settings in Bios tomorrow and see if I can get it going. I know when I figure this out it is going to be a small thing like this. I really appreciate it. I wish there was more support for this board. So frustrating, but works great when it works. I'm thinking the 2011 socket is just not getting a lot of love.

Hi Joetazz,
I know I'm asking a lot, but could you please give me the setting, arguments, you used to install El Capitan on this board (X79-UP4). My specs are a little different, but I can't seem to boot with all the recommended arguments.

Specs:
GA X79-UP4
GEForce GTX 950
16 GB DDr3
Thanks

Never mind I figured it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back