Contribute
Register

Solved > No EFI partition using Unibeast 9.3 for Mojave for SSD but works for HDD (SATA)...Going crazy here

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi,

I did a new fresh install of Mojave multiple times and unibeast 9.3 (has Clover v. 5102) got me through installing Mojave and was able to boot into the installed SSD with Mojave OSX and when I try to look at the disk list...there is no EFI partition. I format and erase the SSD as follow from the installation guide. Has anyone going through this errors? I can't seem to get Multibeast install because there is no EFI partition on my SSD Boot Mojave.

Please help...I'm going crazy. Some people said its a virtual drive but I can't mount it. see my screen shot...I search everywhere!! No solution.
Moderator: Tony...Could it be the Unibeast 9.3 has an error?

I tried loaded the Mojave with the same unibeast 9.3 onto the HDD SATA drive and it works. Can someone help? is it because my BIOS setting is incorrect? I noticed after when I format the SSD drive during the diskutil step it didn't create the EFI Partition when Mojave was installing...why is that? Is there some sort of setting or I need to boot in some way to get it to work? please help. Thanks

Last edited:

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
run terminal with command diskutil list and post screenshot

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Please look at Disk 2 and Disk3. I connected the SSD to an external to my macbook pro. As you can see under Disk2. It created a container but I noticed the identifier is missing disk2s1 (see second attached screen shot). Normally, EFI should be in that disk2 and under disk2s1, correct? But I tried many times reinstalling the Mojave OS and it still format and doesnt create EFI partition. I can't get to format HFS+ when in Diskutil Mojave installer. Only gives me APFS option and thats it. Any ideas

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.51.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 9.51.52 AM.png
    187.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.00.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 10.00.16 AM.png
    83.9 KB · Views: 18

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Please look at Disk 2 and Disk3. I connected the SSD to an external to my macbook pro. As you can see under Disk2. It created a container but I noticed the identifier is missing disk2s1 (see second attached screen shot). Normally, EFI should be in that disk2 and under disk2s1, correct? But I tried many times reinstalling the Mojave OS and it still format and doesnt create EFI partition. I can't get to format HFS+ when in Diskutil Mojave installer. Only gives me APFS option and thats it. Any ideas
Your disk 2 is missing the EFI partition that should be there with the APFS Container. It would seem to indicate the EFI partition is on some other drive than the Mac OS drive.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
How can I retrieve it? I noticed that? what do I do to get it back. I tried so many times reinstalling the Mojave and only connect this SSD DRIVE but no success when installing the Mojave. The EFI partition doesnt get create it any way!! HELP!!!

Going Bald

Motherboard
GA-X58A-UD7-F7
CPU
W3670
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
How can I retrieve it? I noticed that? what do I do to get it back. I tried so many times reinstalling the Mojave and only connect this SSD DRIVE but no success when installing the Mojave. The EFI partition doesnt get create it any way!! HELP!!!
When you boot the Mojave installer and get to the first screen, select disk utility and format the drive GUID / MacOS Extended (Journaled). Exit disk utility and start the install. Select the just formatted drive to install Mojave.
The formatting you just did creates an EFI partition and a single partition HFS+. When Mojave installs, it reformats the HFS+ to APFS and leaves the EFI partition alone.

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
When you boot the Mojave installer and get to the first screen, select disk utility and format the drive GUID / MacOS Extended (Journaled). Exit disk utility and start the install. Select the just formatted drive to install Mojave.
The formatting you just did creates an EFI partition and a single partition HFS+. When Mojave installs, it reformats the HFS+ to APFS and leaves the EFI partition alone.

When I enter diskutil to format during the installer, there is no option for me to format GUID and HFS+. It only allow me to format APFS. anyway to go around it? Or can I do this outside the installer?

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Ok....After so many tries and resintall after reinstall...I found a work around to format my SSD drive.
1. when I boot using Unibeast Installer Mojave and get to the Diskutility, I create a partition from the SSD.
2. this gave me the option to format HFS+. Mac Extended Journal
3. I created a random partition of 50gb from my 256gb SSD.
4. Erase the primary and reformat it as HFS+
5. Revert/restore the 50gb partition back to the primary partition
6. Now, I should see only one SSD 256 partition drive...then reformat to HFS+.
7. Continue with installer by loading the OSX
8. once booted into the Mojave Drive (SSD), ran Diskutil list in Terminal.
I see the EFI PARTITION. The installer change the drive to APFS which is ok cause its Mojave OSX but I'm happy it created the EFI partition for me to install my kext or load the kext with Clover.

YES!!!