Contribute
Register

No Dual Monitor GTX 950/i3 4170/ASRock H97M?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock - H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150
CPU
Intel - Core i3-4170 3.7GHz
Graphics
EVGA - GeForce GTX 950 2GB
i've been tinkering with this for over ten hours (not continuous) at this point from getting things fired up to trying to get the video card (GTX 950) to show up. have scoured the web for this answer but it seems i am alone on this island running this exact setup. can someone confirm to me that i will NOT be able to run extended desktop on my setup (ASRock H97M/i3-4170/EVGA GTX 950)? with that confirmed, does anyone know if I can run it on a later version of OS X?

I am running the Unibeast/Multibeast install of 10.9.5 and can get one or the other monitor to work, but not both. my card shows up as something like 'Nvidia Graphics 3 (or 7) MB' even with the web drivers installed. i don't think i can even boot when set to Intel video in the BIOS. i have 'nv_disable=1' on my config file otherwise, no boot. i've tried Clover (with various config files) to install Mavericks but I can't even get the installer to run off the USB. I get to the drive selection, then it boots to the Mavericks installed on the internal HDD. when setting to onboard video in the BIOS it goes to a black screen after selecting Clover installer.

at this point i've tried so many configurations, changing one little thing at a time, that i think i've restarted my computer more times than all my computers combined in my lifetime. to be honest, though, there are times i can recall not having restarted my Macs in months even with daily use. maybe for fear of them not powering back up ha ha.

any suggestions? thanks in advance...

i've been tinkering with this for over ten hours (not continuous) at this point from getting things fired up to trying to get the video card (GTX 950) to show up. have scoured the web for this answer but it seems i am alone on this island running this exact setup. can someone confirm to me that i will NOT be able to run extended desktop on my setup (ASRock H97M/i3-4170/EVGA GTX 950)? with that confirmed, does anyone know if I can run it on a later version of OS X?

I am running the Unibeast/Multibeast install of 10.9.5 and can get one or the other monitor to work, but not both. my card shows up as something like 'Nvidia Graphics 3 (or 7) MB' even with the web drivers installed. i don't think i can even boot when set to Intel video in the BIOS. i have 'nv_disable=1' on my config file otherwise, no boot. i've tried Clover (with various config files) to install Mavericks but I can't even get the installer to run off the USB. I get to the drive selection, then it boots to the Mavericks installed on the internal HDD. when setting to onboard video in the BIOS it goes to a black screen after selecting Clover installer.

At this point i've tried so many configurations, changing one little thing at a time, that i think i've restarted my computer more times than all my computers combined in my lifetime. to be honest, though, there are times i can recall not having restarted my Macs in months even with daily use. maybe for fear of them not powering back up ha ha.

any suggestions? thanks in advance...

Your graphics card requires the Nvidia web drivers to work fully, and these drivers are only available starting with Yosemite.

So if you want to use your graphics card fully you will have to upgrade to Yosemite or later.

Your graphics card requires the Nvidia web drivers to work fully, and these drivers are only available starting with Yosemite.

So if you want to use your graphics card fully you will have to upgrade to Yosemite or later.
thanks. that's what i thought. will get to upgrading and see how it goes...

welp, looks like Yosemite and El Capitan are no longer available unless they were purchased prior (which i did not). i have nothing to lose by going up to Sierra so i'll try that. correction, i have a license for Adobe CS 5.5 Master Suite which is the sole reason i'm doing all this. if this doesn't do it, i hope hope hope Adobe lets me transfer my license to Windows.

welp, looks like Yosemite and El Capitan are no longer available unless they were purchased prior (which i did not). i have nothing to lose by going up to Sierra so i'll try that. correction, i have a license for Adobe CS 5.5 Master Suite which is the sole reason i'm doing all this. if this doesn't do it, i hope hope hope Adobe lets me transfer my license to Windows.

You can still download El Capitan from a link in this document : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back