Graphics
GTX 760 SC
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I've been through several of the no boot threads, but all state that you should correct something in the kernel or other boot options. I can't even get that far. Here's the run down:

Decided to update to El Capitan and downloaded as directed and created boot USB with Unibeast. The only files on the USB seem to be El Capitan and and empty EFI-Backups folder. My stable Yosemite build will not boot to USB stating "can't find System/Library/Kernels/kernel". The thread solution says to boot into your system and fix. My Yosemite drive won't boot and hangs on start up even using safe mode etc. Chameleon (or whatever the visual boot screen is) no longer shows and only shows text and available drives.

I redid an install of El Capitan using a Macbook and "updated" using the USB and my SSD system drive on a USB adapter. I can read the SSD just as before the update, but now my SSD is in a reboot loop when running on Hackintosh hardware and a black screen when trying to boot the Macbook. I have also lost the System folder. I've read several threads with solutions to each of these problems, but all suggest I boot into my system. Which obviously isn't possible.

All of these issues seem to stem around me going with Clover and the directions aren't very clear in my opinion. I've already deleted the Extensions installed by Multibeast (not that I have a System folder showing and can't seem to "unhide") I have them saved to the desktop as suggested, but that is on a 3.5" HDD that I my adapter won't run.

Should I try a clean install and just save all of my Application files etc. I can't access a backup of my drive. I know there are several issues here, but I'm not sure where to start. My Hackintosh has run flawlessly since I built it nearly 3 years ago until now. Any suggestions are welcome. :|

Wow. Maybe I threw too much out in one post, but not one piece of advice or assistance?

At this point, I'm considering doing a fresh install. I'd rather not, as I have lots of things on my boot drive that I'd like to hold onto. I'm going to have another round of problem solving this afternoon. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have solved several issues. I was not noticing that the UEFI USB was a separate "drive" from the USB or other hard drives attached. Booting into that from Bios got to the Clover drive select screen and allowed me to install El Capitan.

Post install with Multibeast does not allow me to install 3rd Party SATA kext. I haven't noticed an issue, but it might come back at some point.

The only other remaining issue I have is that it will not boot straight to my SSD. I edited the clover.plist with my drive name as directed, but I get a boot error. If I choose my boot device using the EFI USB, it seems to boot fine, but that's a bit of a hassle. I'll keep troubleshooting and searching, but if anyone has any advice, drop it here.

ps ammulder, I don't know if this counts as a bump since I'm posting my resolution to my own issues. Sorry if it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back