GA-Z97X-Gaming 7
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,

There's this one little mystery I can't figure out. I get to the BIOS and my key input works but the screen remains black. I can then continue booting to Clover and osx by pressing Enter. I had more issues with Windows (updates changing boot) then Mac in the past so I removed my Windows install and used the SSD drive as a working drive in mac. As far as I can remember I had occasional issues with this before, BIOS showing up whenever it felt like. I am using UEFI setup for BIOS and drives.

Before I try to reset CMOS do you guys have any idea what could cause this?
Thx in advance!

After A LOT of trial and error I have found the culprit...

The mDP to DP cable! That as far as I can remember came with the monitor, go figure.
I found out that pin 20 on a DP cable should not be wired to avoid issues with the GPU: Link

Besides BIOS screen not displaying I also had issues with the monitor not waking up after sleep and had to re-plug power cable.

These issues have disappeared after buying a proper DP to DP cable which was a DeLock in my case that specifically had the pin 20 not connected.

NOPE! I was wrong...

Turns out a cold boot brings back the issue. I can't be bothered at the moment but I will try a factory reset of the monitor and re-plug it from GPU and power.
I am out of ideas though. This is clearly a power issue since it happens before the bootloader.

Later...

any update on this? I seem to be having the same issue, my monitor says "no input detected"

it then stays that way but recognizes my input presses from keyboard

I have windows and Mac on separate drives so I have to press up and down arrows to hope I get to either windows or Mac depending on what I need

I'm using an HDMI cord

I've switched HDMI cords it doesn't work with either

Ouch it has been too long since it happened so can't remember exactly.
Occasionally I will have the wrong (lower) resolution in bios and boot loader and have to reboot but my BIOS always shows up.

I bought another DP cable but it was the same issue.
Maybe because I removed Windows? Do you dual boot? Windows always got messed up and I had to repair to where it eventually stopped working altogether. I got fed up and removed Windows and used the small 128GB SSD drive in my laptop to speed things up.
I think Dual boot might be the issue mate so look into that! Disconnect Windows drive and try a few boots. I know dual boot shouldn't affect BIOS but try anyway.
If you run single boot then get back to me and I'll try to remember other things I've tried.
Good luck!

ps. I missed the part that you said you were running dual boot, brainfart!

Last edited:
its the monitor or settings around that because when i connect it to my tv it works fine

i recently upgraded monitors

P2715Q? other 4k monitor?

Na I was on a 32” curved Samsung I went to the 27” acer nitro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back