It can be frustrating getting audio recognised and if I get a problem I usually try to revert AppleHDA.kext and remove the RealTek kext, then re-run MultiBeast (if you are still on HFS file system after the upgrade. AFS is not yet supported) The rename patch is needed so that's ok. If MultiBeast fails, then just "Show Contents", pull out the CloverALC1150 installer package and run it from the desktop.
Basically what I'm suggesting is go minimal in your install, i.e before you run @toleda 's script. The chipset has not changed and it needs a driver. High Sierra has changed though. Don't try too much at once. Check at each stage if you can see any devices...
Ready for 10.13 since Public Betamaybe they need to be updated for High Sierra
Self inflicted: remove Rouge Amoeba/Instant On. Not ready for 10.1, kills coreaudiodlooks like it's trying to start the audio device for around 30 sec's, and then gives up
Hi, thanks for your reply.
I've reverted AppleHDA.kext/deleted realtekALC.kext many times, and used toledo's script again, with no success.
I'm on APFS now so I can't use MultiBeast, but I extracted Clover-ALC1150.pkg and Clover-100-200-HDEF-Patch.pkg and ran them from the desktop. Still no luck. (But maybe they need to be updated for High Sierra).
When the computer was just built, and before I got sound to work in 10.12 via MultiBeast, this was the icon in the menu bar:
View attachment 281555
But now with the issues I have in 10.13, this is how the icon looks when I start the computer:
View attachment 281556
If I hover the mouse, a spinning beach ball appears. And after around 30 sec's, the icon turns to this:
View attachment 281559
It looks like it's trying to start the audio device for around 30 sec's, and then gives up. It doesn't matter if I have an untouched AppleHDA.kext, or using CloverALC or AppleALC - always the same behaviour. Something in the High Sierra installation is different from Sierra.
I've tried so many times to revert/patch and also the AppleALC method. Always with the same result.
I will wait for the updated Multibeast and try again. If it doesn't work I need to do a clean High Sierra install and start over.