Contribute
Register

No administrator account after install (can't run MultiBeast)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-H77-DS3H
CPU
i5-3570K
Graphics
Gigabyte HD 6450 1GB
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Performa
  6. Power Mac
  7. SE
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is weird, has anyone else run into this?

Finished up my ML installation, got past the setup screen, and noticed I couldn't run MultiBeast because of security settings. I went to go change the security settings to allow non-App Store apps to run, but it wouldn't take my login as an administrator account.

Apparently, it seems like ML set up my new user account as a standard account without the permissions of an administrator account. I can't use sudo su or single user mode to set a password for the root account or anything like that. How am I supposed to get past this?

Strangely enough I removed my HD 6450 for installation and all was fine... :thumbup::thumbup:

Just in case someone else stumbles across this. I have had this happen to me on plenty of real Macs over the years.

If you boot from the installer open the password reset utility. Reset the password on the System(root) account. Reboot off the internal HDD. Login as root. You can then change passwords, create accounts, upgrade accounts etc from there.

Mark

I'm getting a similar issue with Mountain Lion. When creating an account all I have is a standard account, which means that I am unable to install anything. Tried pulling out my graphics card and running with the integrated graphics to no avail...

Edit: There is no root account in the installer for me to change the password of.

First off. My board is a MSI Z77MA-G45. If this is not your board, this may not be the same issue.

Okay.. that was a fun experience. The problem I had was related to not having a valid system UUID. From the bootloader, I typed the command option "SystemId=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX" where the "X"s were a number from UUID (GUID) Generator on the WEB

So, for example, your command might look like "SystemId=a4bc784a-c5e2-4ec6-9478-965ba1aa9d0b".

If you see something along the lines of "UUID parse error" at the beginning of your verbose output, this might be your issue. Afterwords you'll want to edit your /Extra/org.chameleon.boot.plist file to set this for you. You'll want to add a new setting that looks like this:

<key>SystemId</key>
<string>a4bc784a-c5e2-4ec6-9478-965ba1aa9d0b</string>

Make sure to use the same UUID you used to boot.

Hope that saves someone some trouble.

Should the quotation marks be included in what you typed?
"SystemId=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX" or SystemId=XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX

Great, worked also for my nvidia 570hd!

Did anyone ever figure this out? I am having the same issue.

I had the same problem, and fixed it, though I didn't sort out the details.
I cleared out my old Applications, Library, System, and User folders before ML install. Was surprised when I found that my previous user accounts were listed in the new install. I found out that there were some hidden files that kept info on the previous Lion install.

You can fix it by enabling the root account password in the Mountain Lion installer/recovery (terminal>resetpasswd) and using root to change the administrator account to admin rights.

But the other way to fix it would be to delete those hidden files. I cleared out usr, and bin and and that seemed to do it.

did anyone ever solve this?

I am unable to reset the root password through the reset password utility or through the terminal when booting in single user mode.

In the utility, there simply is no Root account.
In the terminal when I try "passwd root" I get a "Unknown user 'root' "
When I delete the AppleSetupDone, and create a new account. That user is only given Standard access.

edit:
Ok, here's a solution (as best as I can remember) that worked for me:

1)$ boot into single user mode
2)$ /sbin/mount -uw /
3)$ launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.opendirectoryd.plist
4)$ dscl -f /var/db/dslocal/nodes/Default
5)> append Local/Default/Groups/admin GroupMembership <username>
6)> exit

I apologize if this instructions aren't totally complete, since I didn't write anything down because I was on the verge of giving up. The gist is correct though. I entered dscl and appended myself to the admin group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back