Contribute
Register

Next Gen Mac Pro Intel Ice Lake Xeon W 3300 CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The “Ice Lake Xeon W-3300 Workstation family will offer support on the LGA 4189 socket platform with up to 270W TDP CPU support, 64 Gen 4 PCIe Lanes, and 8-channel DDR4-3200 memory with up to 4 TB capacities.”

A massive amount of high speed PCIe lanes and ram for the heaviest of workloads. This is the "Mack Truck" of Mac desktops. Good news if it's really true. Sure the single core performance won't likely beat even an M1 Mac but in Multicore this will be awesome.

The “Ice Lake Xeon W-3300 Workstation family will offer support on the LGA 4189 socket platform with up to 270W TDP CPU support, 64 Gen 4 PCIe Lanes, and 8-channel DDR4-3200 memory with up to 4 TB capacities.”

A massive amount of high speed PCIe lanes and ram for the heaviest of workloads. This is the "Mack Truck" of Mac desktops. Good news if it's really true. Sure the single core performance won't likely beat even an M1 Mac but in Multicore this will be awesome.

4189 pins in a socket though ... Things are getting complex. I thought LGA 1200 was bad enough!

4189 pins in a socket though ... Things are getting complex. I thought LGA 1200 was bad enough!
As I said this is a Mac Truck and not a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla. It's going to suck a lot of electricity from the wall but that's the price you pay to get the big jobs done. One of these Maxed out MPs will cost as much as a Tesla Model S Plaid. It's for big companies with big budgets.

Screen Shot 5.jpg

Last edited:
As I said this is a Mac Truck and not a 4 cylinder Toyota Corolla. It's going to suck a lot of electricity from the wall but that's the price you pay to get the big jobs done. One of these Maxed out MPs will cost as much as a Tesla Model S Plaid. It's for big companies with big budgets.

View attachment 525544
Okay, I'll skip the Intel CPU and take the Tesla instead. It probably sucks less electricity from the National Grid than the CPU would. Although having said that I see the Tesla is "overclocked" somewhat ... 200MPH is too fast for my taste.:thumbdown

Although having said that I see the Tesla is "overclocked" somewhat ... 200MPH is too fast for my taste
The Mack Truck is for you then, all the power and 0-60 in a comfortable 29 seconds. No whiplash. You can expect to pump a lot of diesel fuel though. They get around 6-7 MPG on average. Pain at the pump.

1627336362519.png

Last edited:
Excited to see the updated full size refresh. Very excited about the 1/2 size version especially if they end up using intel cores. Half size form factor hopefully has a smaller than $5999 entry price point would be very attractive to many pro users.

Speaking of Mac Trucks - recently got a used 2009 Mac Pro (12 core, 64GB RAM) for $500 USD, and put in a 4 x NVMe m.2 card into it. It's getting 3GB r/w on boot drive, and 5GB r/w on storage drive. Also put in a RX 580 and getting some very impressive geekbench scores. It runs like a clock - an amazing value for the price, being over 12 years old its the older generation Mac Truck. Even if something goes wrong with one of the parts can just swap it out. Expect to get another 10 years out of this one.

Last edited:
Looking at the cost of ram for the 7,1 Mac Pro, 2TB (128GB DIMMs) costs around $40,000 so the Intel MP 8,1 Refresh could possibly cost $80,000 just to max out the ram to 4TB.

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Very excited about the 1/2 size version especially if they end up using intel cores. Half size form factor hopefully has a smaller than $5999 entry price point would be very attractive to many pro users.
From what I've read the smaller model will be Apple Silicon only. This makes sense because the Apple SoC uses a lot less power and runs much cooler than any Intel Xeon. The small chassis couldn't hold a big enough PSU or enough fans for cooling the Intel CPU/Chipset.

Last edited:
Looking at the cost of ram for the 7,1 Mac Pro, 2TB (128GB DIMMs) costs around $40,000 so the Intel MP 8,1 Refresh could possibly cost $80,000 just to max out the ram to 4TB.

View attachment 525766
Nice considering the 1/2 size version with 1 TB SSD - unless they allow user to upgrade Boot SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back