CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
K2000, K4000, R9 270x, W5000 & others
Mac
  1. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I'm wondering whether the newer Chimera and any Nvidia driver updates help with running more modern graphics cards with Snow Leopard.

Yes, I know I could run Lion or ML or Mav or Yo but I am asking about Snow.

eg. GT440 will be fine.. GT520? GT620, GT730? The database is ancient and most people have moved on with newer OSX versions. Anyone tried a modern card in Snow?

Someone?

I'm wondering whether the newer Chimera and any Nvidia driver updates help with running more modern graphics cards with Snow Leopard.

Yes, I know I could run Lion or ML or Mav or Yo but I am asking about Snow.

eg. GT440 will be fine.. GT520? GT620, GT730? The database is ancient and most people have moved on with newer OSX versions. Anyone tried a modern card in Snow?

Someone?
The problem there is a lack of driver/device ids in the graphics kext files in S/L/E. Without this support, newer cards are impossible. Now, if you would like to do a little system development and update the graphics kexts for SL and upload them to the net somewhere, I am sure it would make other people happy to be able to use new cards in SL.

Or I could just give in and run newer OSX. Just thought it might be fun to have a multiboot system with Snow, Lion, ML, Mav and Yo on it...

Or I could just give in and run newer OSX. Just thought it might be fun to have a multiboot system with Snow, Lion, ML, Mav and Yo on it...

Any graphics card that came ou before July 2011 would be a good candidate for booting all 10.6 - 10.10 with the proviso that it might have dropped support in 10.10.
Seems the GEForce 8800GT/GS is hanging in there - still there in Mavericks - haven't looked at it for Yosemite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back