Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX1070
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello All

After years of toying with the idea of building a Hackintosh I am finally ready to take the plunge. I have been reading many build posts and build guides from this site. I have a question concerning the Motherboard and CPU.

First let me start off by saying I am using the Hackintosh for Music Production. I will be doing little video editing but 95% of use is music. Currently I use a MacBook Pro which is doing a great job but as my AU, AAX and VST plugs keep getting better and my Midi devices like the Role Seaboard keep getting better the machine is starting to race and run hot.

So it's time to build a CustoMacPro. My questions may be covered in a Nov build thread but only going off Oct here are my questions.

1 - The Asus ROG Maximus IX Hero is the latest motherboard listed in the Asus family. I am finding that this board is hard to come by online. So I started to look at the Asus ROG Maximus X. I see that the minimum requirement for CPU is a i7 8700.

If I was to purchases the Maximus X and a i7 8700 chipset will that work with building out the rest of the machine?

2 - Will Maximus X and i7 8700 have any issues with a Windows and OS X Sierra boot?

I know the cost on the new motherboards and chips are a bit higher but if I am building I would like to build a machine that will kick @$$ for the next couple of years.

Any thoughts or considerations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Building with newer MBs and CPUs will be future proof. It can last you for years. I would go with Kaby Lake for now as Coffee Lake(8000 Series CPU) are not available in any Mac and thus no support. There are other brands of MB that are compatible as well if you are having a hard time finding an Asus board. Gigabyte boards are very good too. You can wait it out to see when the newest Macs are released with the new Coffee Lake chips. But if you need one now then go with Kaby Lake.

Building with newer MBs and CPUs will be future proof. It can last you for years. I would go with Kaby Lake for now as Coffee Lake(8000 Series CPU) are not available in any Mac and thus no support. There are other brands of MB that are compatible as well if you are having a hard time finding an Asus board. Gigabyte boards are very good too. You can wait it out to see when the newest Macs are released with the new Coffee Lake chips. But if you need one now then go with Kaby Lake.

Thank You Aztlan78. all and any info is very helpful in my research. I appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back