Motherboard
Nothing yet
CPU
Nothing yet
Graphics
Nothing yet
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys! I am planning to build Hackintosh PC.
I would like to build a dual-boot Windows 10/MacOS Catalina ON 2 separated SSD(500gb each) and an external HD for storage.
My main goals is Photo editor(Photoshop/Lightroom) and development using virtual macchine so I need Ram 32gb, no edit video.
Secondly, Probably gaming online call of duty but it’s not important to have high resolution.
I’d prefer have a small PC case e few headache please, i am not to expert with MacOS :)

Hey,

I'm new as a contributor to this forum (even if I have been reading a lot on Hacks from this forum).

I think you should take a look at the Golden builds (https://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/golden-builds.87/) page. You will find the most compatible components to use for your build.
If you're like me and you want to use Intel 10th gen, then take a look there.

Good luck to you !

Cheers,

M.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to build a dual-boot Windows 10/MacOS Catalina ON 2 separated SSD(500gb each) and an external HD for storage.
My main goals is Photo editor(Photoshop/Lightroom) and development using virtual macchine so I need Ram 32gb, no edit video.
Secondly, Probably gaming online call of duty but it’s not important to have high resolution.
I’d prefer have a small PC case e few headache please, i am not to expert with MacOS :)

So I'm glad to help you, just tell me what your budget is.

Also, do you want your computer to be really quiet (max. 30dB)?

One more question: are you OK with no/not much expansion, or do you want some?

Here are some parts that I've gathered so far:

Motherboards:

Asus ROG Strix Z490-G (mATX)

Gigabyte Z490I Aorus Ultra (Mini-ITX)
Asus ROG Strix Z490-I (Mini-ITX)

Processors (non-K ones can't be overclocked [and have slower base clocks], but I don't think you would be OC'ing):

I chose these ones because you said you are going to be using a virtual machine, and these have a good core count.

10th gen i7s have 8c/16t
10th gen i9s have 10c/20t

Intel Core i7 10700
Intel Core i7 10700K
Intel Core i9 10900
Intel Core i9 10900K

Cases:

Corsair Crystal 280X (mATX)
Fractal Design Meshify C Mini (mATX)
Fractal Design Define C Mini (mATX)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX (mATX)

NZXT H210 (i or nono-i) (Mini-ITX)
Fractal Design Era ITX (Mini-ITX)
Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX (Mini-ITX)

Graphics Cards:

(resolution and framerate based on Call Of Duty)

1080p 100FPS
AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
AMD Radeon RX 5700

1080p 120FPS
AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

I can help you decide on what card to get after you diced on one of the above

SSDs:

WD Black SN750 500GB - 3470 MBit/s read, 2600 MBit/s write
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB - 3500 MBit/s read, 3200 MBit/s write

These are both solid SSDs, and trade blows. The WD one is cheaper.

I can help you further when I get your budget.

thanks for replay...
I was thinking to this configuration before your second replay:
- ASUS PRIME H470-PLUS, Scheda madre Intel H470 (LGA 1200)
- Intel Core i5-10600K
- MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
- Samsung 970 EVO SSD MZ-V7E500
- Corsair VS650

i think i will go to update somthing...in particulary to have a mATX.
My budget 1300€ :)

thanks for replay...
I was thinking to this configuration before your second replay:
- ASUS PRIME H470-PLUS, Scheda madre Intel H470 (LGA 1200)
- Intel Core i5-10600K
- MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC
- Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
- Samsung 970 EVO SSD MZ-V7E500
- Corsair VS650

i think i will go to update somthing...in particulary to have a mATX.
My budget 1300€ :)

What I think so far:

Motherboard: Good. You could try to get a Z490, because otherwise your memory with the CPU you have would be limited to 2666MHz (maximum), and you wouldn't be able to use the full 3200MHz. I can send you a video that addresses this problem.

Processor: Great. If you don't require the extra clock speed, you could get the i5 10400. The K-series processors are only overclockable on Z490 boards though.

Graphics: I would highly recommend getting a card from another brand that has better compatibility (so all the HDMI, DVI and DP ports work), so I would try to get a Sapphire (best), Asus (great) or Gigabyte (good) card. Also AMD MSI cards tend to not have very good cooling.

Memory: Great. Corsair tends to have great memory compatibility, especially with the Vengeance and Dominator lines, so I can assure you that this will work. Good latency (C16). My only concern is that since H470 motherboards don't support XMP, you'll be stuck at somewhere between 2133 and 2666MHz. My memory on my Z390 motherboard,, before I turned on XMP, it ran at 2133MHz, and now it runs at 3600MHz after I turned it on.

SSD: Good. If you can spend a bit more, you could get a Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and if you want the same speed at a more affordable price, you could get a Western Digital Black SN750.

Power Supply: Okay. It is a reliable brand, but I personally would try to get a semi-modular instead of a non-modular power supply from a brand like Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA.
I would recommend something like a Corsair CX650M, it is semi-modular, has an 80Plus Bronze rating, has black cables, and is reliable.

ok i've changed configuration after reading you advices...
Is it necessary to have a specific monitor to install a hackintosh or could any one be fine?

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-G Gaming, Chipset Intel Z490 LGA 1200 micro ATX Gaming
Processor: Intel Core i5-10600K or Intel Core i7-10700K
Graphics: Sapphire PULSE RADEON RX 5600 XT 6G GDDR6
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 3200MHz C16 XMP
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus or Western Digital Black SN750 - 500gb x2 (Windows/Hackintosh)
Power supply: Corsair CX650M
Cases: Corsair Case Crystal 280X Micro-ATX

I will wait a little while to buy the components in order to get a better price, let me know if i forgot something or something it's wrong. :)

Is it necessary to have a specific monitor to install a hackintosh or could any one be fine?

Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-G Gaming, Chipset Intel Z490 LGA 1200 micro ATX Gaming
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus or Western Digital Black SN750 - 500gb x2 (Windows/Hackintosh)

I will wait a little while to buy the components in order to get a better price, let me know if i forgot something or something it's wrong. :)

Looks really good!

You might want to add a Wifi card into there, like the Fenvi T919 (I personally have one), if you want Wifi and Bluetooth to work in macOS.

The only thing which I see missing is a CPU cooler (Tower or AIO), so I can help you find compatible ones. Would you prefer liquid or air cooling, or does it not matter?

Also, is your case the RGB or non-RGB version?

I would highly recommend liquid cooling, due to the air cooler height restrictions of the 280X. Here are some really good options:

Corsair iCUE H100i Pro XT - Great all-around cooler. Only RGB on the block.
Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum - Same as the H100i Pro XT, just RGB fans too.
Corsair Hydro H100i Platinum SE - Same as the H100i Platinum, just white.

What I think so far:

Motherboard: Good. You could try to get a Z490, because otherwise your memory with the CPU you have would be limited to 2666MHz (maximum), and you wouldn't be able to use the full 3200MHz. I can send you a video that addresses this problem.

Processor: Great. If you don't require the extra clock speed, you could get the i5 10400. The K-series processors are only overclockable on Z490 boards though.

Graphics: I would highly recommend getting a card from another brand that has better compatibility (so all the HDMI, DVI and DP ports work), so I would try to get a Sapphire (best), Asus (great) or Gigabyte (good) card. Also AMD MSI cards tend to not have very good cooling.

Memory: Great. Corsair tends to have great memory compatibility, especially with the Vengeance and Dominator lines, so I can assure you that this will work. Good latency (C16). My only concern is that since H470 motherboards don't support XMP, you'll be stuck at somewhere between 2133 and 2666MHz. My memory on my Z390 motherboard,, before I turned on XMP, it ran at 2133MHz, and now it runs at 3600MHz after I turned it on.

SSD: Good. If you can spend a bit more, you could get a Samsung 970 EVO Plus, and if you want the same speed at a more affordable price, you could get a Western Digital Black SN750.

Power Supply: Okay. It is a reliable brand, but I personally would try to get a semi-modular instead of a non-modular power supply from a brand like Seasonic, Corsair or EVGA.
I would recommend something like a Corsair CX650M, it is semi-modular, has an 80Plus Bronze rating, has black cables, and is reliable.

afaik the Prime H470-plus has XMP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back