Contribute
Register

Newbie question: which version of OSX to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
hp probook 4540s
CPU
core i7 3632QM
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I have a shiny new 4540s that I want to hackintosh. I hope to follow the quad-boot installation on RehabMan's blog (Win7,8, ubuntu, OSX.). I have exactly zero hackintoshing experience (except for reading some posts) and nearly zero Mac OS experience. I also have access to a friend's Mac with which to buy OSX and prepare a thumb-drive.

I know there is an update to ML recently released. 10.9 will be releasing soon (perhaps this month).

1. Is there any time sensitivity on my purchasing OSX and preparing an OSX installation thumb drive? Is this driven by what version will be available in the Mac App store? If multiple versions are available, which one should I buy?

1. a. I remember reading that one of the install tools will only install the most recent release of OSX. Is this pertinent? And is this at time-of-install, or time-of-tool-download?

2. I know that Mavericks does some things better than ML, particularly with multiple monitors. Am I better off waiting for Mavericks, or installing ML and taking advantage of the knowledge base (the $20 to upgrade the OS later doesn't mean that much to me) given that I'm such a newbie?

Thanks.

I have a shiny new 4540s that I want to hackintosh. I hope to follow the quad-boot installation on RehabMan's blog (Win7,8, ubuntu, OSX.). I have exactly zero hackintoshing experience (except for reading some posts) and nearly zero Mac OS experience. I also have access to a friend's Mac with which to buy OSX and prepare a thumb-drive.

I know there is an update to ML recently released. 10.9 will be releasing soon (perhaps this month).

1. Is there any time sensitivity on my purchasing OSX and preparing an OSX installation thumb drive? Is this driven by what version will be available in the Mac App store? If multiple versions are available, which one should I buy?

Currently only 10.8.5 is available. No one knows when 10.9 will be released. And no one knows if 10.8.x will be available when 10.9 is released. These are all future Apple decisions that the public is not privy to.

1. a. I remember reading that one of the install tools will only install the most recent release of OSX. Is this pertinent? And is this at time-of-install, or time-of-tool-download?

I'm not sure what you're referring to...

2. I know that Mavericks does some things better than ML, particularly with multiple monitors. Am I better off waiting for Mavericks, or installing ML and taking advantage of the knowledge base (the $20 to upgrade the OS later doesn't mean that much to me) given that I'm such a newbie?

That you can only answer for yourself. It is personal preference.

Thanks.

go with mountain lion, current version of writing is 10.8.5, read the guides in this sub forum to get your experiment setup and maybe after a couple of fresh installs trying to get osx to work on your probook, you'll build up your os x experience.

Saw that. i'll be purchasing 10.8.5 in a few days. And my compatible wifi card is in the mail, along with a caddy for a cheap SSD in the optical bay (eventual upgrade). I can't wait to see how creatively I can break this while convincing myself I'm following the directions to the letter.

Also, the guides and FAQ seem very good, RHM. Thanks for all your effort.

I can't wait to see how creatively I can break this while convincing myself I'm following the directions to the letter.

LOL!

Also, the guides and FAQ seem very good, RHM. Thanks for all your effort.

Hope they work out for you...

Hype sells in consumer market.

My new wifi card just got here, the Broadcomm 4322AG. My Win7 connectivity is actually much better with this card than with HP's original Atheros.

But it looks like I no longer physically have bluetooth on the machine. I must have overlooked that in my rush to get this card.

Would an an external (USB) bluetooth adapter be subject to the same sleep/wake/reboot problems that the internal ones are?

Nevermind. The internet told me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back