Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi all...I've been reading up on this forum for the past two weeks and have been so amazed and inspired that I am going to build my first ever hackintosh, and make it a G5 case mod to boot. This isn't happening until I feel comfortable enough to build it...not likely until I have a week or so off at Christmas time, but in the meantime I've been soaking in all this information.

It seems like the easiest way to do it is to buy a motherboard tray and install it that way. A few questions. If I have a motherboard tray do I screw the standoffs onto the tray and then screw the tray directly onto the back wall of the G5 case? So the motherboard is "floating" on the standoffs and the tray is solidly secured onto the back wall? But I also see many posts about people keeping wires BEHIND their motherboard tray. In that case is the tray screwed onto the stock standoffs and then the motherboard is put on it's own standoffs? Wouldn't that be two wide? Or is the motherboard screwed directly into the tray with no standoffs? I thought the back of the motherboard couldn't touch anything?

I guess I just really need a cross section view, (which I don't think anyone can get a camera shoved in there like that). It's not a double decker of standoffs is it? I hope I'm making myself clear, and don't worry, I won't be building anytime soon :). Consider me in preproduction.

I think most people remove the original standoffs, then glue them in the places their motherboard tray needs them, then uses normal standoffs on the motherboard tray. So it is indeed a double decker of standoffs. However, try asking in someones thread who has actually done it. I know eelhead did it. And i can tell you know he'd be happy to help.

There are two major approaches to the G5 hacks. The first is the "no cutting the rear panel" and using some collection of adapters to get the IO to/through the existing rear panel. The second is to cut away much or the rear panel are and fit a mother board tray with rear panel.

This has been done many times by many hackers. There is a fifty plus page thread on this subject over on Insanley Mac. Many pictures and discussion of the details.

I did a G5 hack, documented on IM and a photo archive at: http://www.1neilhart.com/main-web/index.html

neil

Sorry to go off topic. But neil what is that motherboard in the g4 cube hack. mini itx. what dimensions? I have a zotac mini itx measuring at 17.5x17.5 if i remember correctly. Could it fit in the same layout as you have in your mod?

SPerk15 said:
Hi all...I've been reading up on this forum for the past two weeks and have been so amazed and inspired that I am going to build my first ever hackintosh, and make it a G5 case mod to boot. This isn't happening until I feel comfortable enough to build it...not likely until I have a week or so off at Christmas time, but in the meantime I've been soaking in all this information.

It seems like the easiest way to do it is to buy a motherboard tray and install it that way. A few questions. If I have a motherboard tray do I screw the standoffs onto the tray and then screw the tray directly onto the back wall of the G5 case? So the motherboard is "floating" on the standoffs and the tray is solidly secured onto the back wall? But I also see many posts about people keeping wires BEHIND their motherboard tray. In that case is the tray screwed onto the stock standoffs and then the motherboard is put on it's own standoffs? Wouldn't that be two wide? Or is the motherboard screwed directly into the tray with no standoffs? I thought the back of the motherboard couldn't touch anything?

I guess I just really need a cross section view, (which I don't think anyone can get a camera shoved in there like that). It's not a double decker of standoffs is it? I hope I'm making myself clear, and don't worry, I won't be building anytime soon :). Consider me in preproduction.

I found it easier and future proof for me to use a motherboard tray. The way I have mine secured is only 4 of the small G5 standoffs JB welded to the case and screwed to the front of the mobo tray. The rear section is then secured with little bolts to the rear of the G5. I cut enough of the opening for the fans, PCI and IO ports in the rear so the tray can be bolted nice an tight into place with no worries. So basically the front of the tray is a tad higher then the rear beause the G5 standoffs are a bit taller and the rear of my tray is right against the inside of the case.

Now with this tray in I have access to all 7 PCI openings and can always update my board later on down the road with ease.

If you scroll through the builds here you will see the different options of what and how to do it. You can also ask anyone of us, we are always ready to help out a fellow modder :D

The choice is up to you on how you want to go, cut or non-cut. I know where to get stuff needed for either one so fee free to PM me if you have any questions or post on my build thread as well :D

thank you everyone! I do plan on using a tray because it seems, easier, looks cleaner, and is future proof. I don't have the skills or resources to make the back look stock, and I know if I tried it wouldn't look as good as simply using a tray with back panel attached.

@eelhead, thank you. I actually plan on following your guide quite a bit with my build. Looking at your pictures I could tell the tray was set off of the back panel I just couldn't tell on the motherboard. So because the G5 standoffs are a bit taller the tray isn't perfectly parallel to the back panel? And again, awesome guide. It's bookmarked for sure.

@neilhart, sorry could you give me the link? I didn't find it on insanely mac. Maybe I was looking in a wrong section?

This is all so overwhelming....yet addicting. Within the next week or two I will likely be posting what I plan to buy as far as components. Likely not going to build until my Christmas break (I'm a teacher), but I think I'm going to go all out and do a 2600k sandy bridge.

I purchased the Mountain Mods motherboard tray. I then removed all the stand-offs on the G5 except two, the ones that were perfectly aligned on the end of the tray. I then fit the tray in, and hold it down with those two standoffs on the end. It is EXTREMELY strong this way and the standoffs are not just glued in. I can post more pictures if you want.

Attachments

• Mishoks_Motherboard.JPG
    Mishoks_Motherboard.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 402
Awesome!
Yeah mine where glued do to using them originally as ATX standoffs. So inhad them all removed but if they line up stock that's great!

mishok, you will put again the hd tray or what? I don't if is good idea leave in that part. Really, like a post in another topic, I don't where start. Maybe I don't know what I want :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back