Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
macbook air
CPU
i7
Graphics
intel
Hello, I just bought a Macbook Air 13,3 late 2013 without ssd.
I downloaded high sierra and created a bootable usb from my windows PC
i attach the usb to the Macbook Air and while presing option i go to boot screen, I select the usb
and it pop up the "Clover" ? i press on install mac os ( haven't install yet a ssd I just wanted to see if it proceed)
and on next screen ( black) stack on FakeIDSMCKeystore. When I checked options i saw that lan mac etc aren't defined

Is there a guide on how I can fresh install mac os high sierra on macbook air?

for sure i do many things wrong xD any guide for my situation?

Attachments

• IMG_20180412_224717.jpg
    IMG_20180412_224717.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_20180412_224921.jpg
    IMG_20180412_224921.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 236
thank you for the response I how i didnt brick the laptop :/

immunity,

I have a 2013 MacBook Air on which I am replacing the 128 GB OEM SSD with a Kingston 480 GB SSD. I believe it is very important to stay with the Apple-recommended way of installing MacOS 10.13.6. The Mac boot ROM is needed to make the "Install MacOS High Sierra" USB flash drive bootable. So far, I have:
1. Downloaded "Install MacOS High Sierra.app" from the App Store and created a bootable flash drive per this Apple procedure:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372 -- I think it is also very important to use the Terminal script as shown in this article in order to get a successful bootable USB drive.
2. As a backup, I have also used Carbon Copy Cloner (version 5.1.5) to clone the entire contents of the OEM MacBook Air's SSD to an external USB-connected hard drive. Actually this is my preferred method (instead of the USB flash drive) since, if the new blank 500 MB SSD is visible to Disk Utility when installed in the MBA, I can first format it as GUID, and then use the CCC app on the external HD to simply clone back everything to the new SSD, including the existing apps and utilities.
3. One complication is that the proprietary connector in the MBA is not compatible with standard NVMe SSDs. So an adapter is necessary to convert the interface of the Kingston SSD to the MBA's motherboard connector. The adapter is here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CWWAENG/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 -- and my choice for the new SSD is here:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C8XDV11/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
4. Ordering the above parts is as far as I have gone so far. The critical issues are whether the MBA boot ROM on the motherboard will provide the option to boot on the external install drive with only a new blank SSD in the MBA, and then if so, whether the blank disk can be formatted to a GUID disk (i.e. whether it is "seen" by Disk Utility. Stay tuned!

Update: Checked out the CCC bootable backup on the WD drive as mentioned in 2. above, and it works, but slowly. Ran Disk Utility First Aid on the OEM MBA SSD from the WD backup, and it worked fine. Now waiting on arrival of the new Kingston SSD and Sintech adapter (due in 2 days).

[Edit: Installation of the 480 GB Kingston SSD went smoothly. Even the format was GUID (Mac OS Extended Journaled).Only had to change the SSD's name; computer runs perfectly.]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back