CPU
10400F
Graphics
Radeon
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi all, after being a short time lurker, I thought I would join this great forum. Now i was originally considering purchasing as 2019 / 2020 iMac for my Photo & Video editing, (Creative Cloud & Final Cut Pro) but then I started reading about Hackintosh dual boot and figured that I could build myself a all in one system, which also allows me to play sone games in Windows as well. I have an idea for a base setup and was wondering if this would do the trick ?.

Motherboard : Gigabyte Gaming X Z490
CPU : i5 10400F,
Ram HyperX fury 32gb 3200
Graphics a choice between Radeon 580 or Radeon 5500
HDD : Samsung 970 Evo

What I was wondering is the Gigabyte Gaming X motherboard has the highest success rate for Hackintosh or is there a better board to use Gigabyte or other ?.

Many thanks

Have you searched the site yet with the name of that board ?

Screen Shot 3.jpg

Also note that it's nearly impossible to get an RX 580 or 5500XT graphics card at normal retail prices.
You may want to get a CPU with supported Intel graphics.

Have you searched the site yet with the name of that board ?

View attachment 506031

Also note that it's nearly impossible to get an RX 580 or 5500XT graphics card at normal retail prices.
You may want to get a CPU with supported Intel graphics.
Thank you for that I did do a search on the board but was just wondering if that was the best one to get. Oh I didn’t know that about the Radeon, here in the UK there are quite a few companies selling them for under £300.

just wondering if that was the best one to get.
In terms of detailed OpenCore Big Sur guides for that board I haven't seen any posted here. It's not widely used. That doesn't mean you can't use it. You could try it and figure out how to hackintosh it by studying the Dortania guide and other Z490 guides on this site.

The normal RX 580 prices should be under 200 pounds so you'd still be paying an inflated price for a 4 year old graphics card.

In terms of detailed OpenCore Big Sur guides for that board I haven't seen any posted here. It's not widely used. That doesn't mean you can't use it. You could try it and figure out how to hackintosh it by studying the Dortania guide and other Z490 guides on this site.

The normal RX 580 prices should be under 200 pounds so you'd still be paying an inflated price for a 4 year old graphics card.

thank you for the information on what guide to look at. In all honesty I haven’t used Radeon graphics cards since the late 90’s, so am completely out of whack with ones in more recent years, especially as my laptop has a Geforce 1060 onboard which unfortunately isn’t supported by Apple. So have been looking at similar priced Radeon cards for the build.

thank you for the information on what guide to look at. In all honesty I haven’t used Radeon graphics cards since the late 90’s, so am completely out of whack with ones in more recent years, especially as my laptop has a Geforce 1060 onboard which unfortunately isn’t supported by Apple. So have been looking at similar priced Radeon cards for the build.
You could use a Nvidia Kepler for the short term until AMD Polaris cards come down in price again. You can get by until then with a GT 710 or GT 740 card in your hackintosh.

Easy motherboard to Hackintosh depending on your needs/add-ons. I built mine last summer.

Anyway, I am running i7 10700 with Sapphire RX580 and Big Sur for many months now without issue. I do have one comment on your list , which is I am not 100% sure about using an F processor. I am not an expert on that, it should work but this is Hackintosh.

Also there are variants of the motherboard with or without wifi, BT, USB-c etc. Choose what you need. I a have the plain Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X ATX (which dose not have those 3 features).

Follow the Dortania's OpenCore Guide, honestly I only use 3 ACPI files and the basic kexts to have it running.

Last edited:
You could use a Nvidia Kepler for the short term until AMD Polaris cards come down in price again. You can get by until then with a GT 710 or GT 740 card in your hackintosh.

Thank you for the information regarding the GT
Easy motherboard to Hackintosh depending on your needs/add-ons. I built mine last summer.

Anyway, I am running i7 10700 with Sapphire RX580 and Big Sur for many months now without issue. I do have one comment on your list , which is I am not 100% sure about using an F processor. I am not an expert on that, it should work but this is Hackintosh.

Also there are variants of the motherboard with or without wifi, BT, USB-c etc. Choose what you need. I a have the plain Gigabyte Z490 Gaming X ATX (which dose not have those 3 features).

Follow the Dortania's OpenCore Guide, honestly I only use 3 ACPI files and the basic kexts to have it running.
That is brilliant to know thank you, my main needs are some gaming in Windows when the missus is hogging the TV, but the Mac side of things will be Lightroom / Photoshop with Sidecar to my iPad Pro & video editing using FCP X. In regards to Bluetooth I have seen a Hackintosh expansion card on Amazon which apparently adds WiFi & Bluetooth support without issues, so the plain board would be fine.

For bluetooth I have heard a lot about Fenvi cards which run about $40 USD and are plug and play... so that is what I would get if I needed it. I think the model is the Fenvi FV-HB1200, look it up and check with others to make sure.

Unfortunately, I have not worked with Sidecar to give feedback.

F processors work just as well as non-F processors for MacOS. I use a F CPU myself in my main system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back