Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z170X-UD3 Ultra
CPU
4.01 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 OC
Update & Resolution: The issue was that the fans were running at 100% when the card kicked in. The issue turned out to be a cable had slipped inside the machine and was preventing one of the fans on the card from spinning, likely putting the card into a failsafe mode.

Original post:

Hey all,

First time posting.

I've gone through just about every guide and post and am at a complete loss here.

I am using a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 (the OC model as that's all that was left). No matter how I set up the plist (using NvidiaWeb, etc), I can't get the Nvidia drivers to actually work (again, see below).

It was not loading the drivers at all, then after tweaking the plist to have NvidiaWeb set to true, the drivers loaded and the black screen came up, so I did the AGDPfix, and it worked, but the GPU fans were going at full speed. So I rolled back the AGDPfix, and now I can't (even after applying it again) get the Nvidia drivers to work again.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Web drivers, I've tried rebuilding my clover EFI setup, I've done everything I can think of, and the Nvidia panel says their drivers are being used, but they most certainly are not.

I hope someone has an "ah ha!" moment here... otherwise I'm going to erase the startup drive and start completely from scratch.

Also, anyone know why when it did work that one time the GPU fans were on at full speed? This setup turned out a hell of a lot louder than I was anticipating even when the GPU fans aren't running, and I'm pretty disappointed by that. :(

Thanks!
Arlo

Last edited:
Okay... I wiped everything and started from scratch, and I'm back at the place where the fans are running full-steam on the card. But at least the graphics are accelerated! YES!

Anyone know how to get the GPUSensors.kext to play nice with this card? I poked around and really only see one thread about this, but there was no resolution.

Okay... I wiped everything and started from scratch, and I'm back at the place where the fans are running full-steam on the card. But at least the graphics are accelerated! YES!

Anyone know how to get the GPUSensors.kext to play nice with this card? I poked around and really only see one thread about this, but there was no resolution.

The fans on the card are not controlled by OS X, they are controlled by the vbios on the card.

Post your config.plist and let's keep your post in this thread people aren't replying to you twice.

Here it is... thanks for the help!

Attachments

• config.plist
    5.4 KB · Views: 179
Based on your previous comment, I wonder if I need to update the VBIOS on the card. I'd imagine the Nvidia Web drivers would manage that though, no?

Based on your previous comment, I wonder if I need to update the VBIOS on the card. I'd imagine the Nvidia Web drivers would manage that though, no?

What happens if you change your smbios to iMac14,2?

What happens if you change your smbios to iMac14,2?
Then the Nvidia drivers stop getting used, and I end up where I was at the start of this thread with going back to the current iMac not reenabling acceleration.

I'm not at home to try it, but if you really think that might work, I'll give it a try. I assumed a MacPro setting might work since that's what Nvidia assumes you're using their card with.

I'll report back if that's likely the only solution, but I think that'll set me back at square 1.

I have a GTX 970, I'm using the iMac14,2 definition and with Nvidia drivers enabled I also have the fans at full speed. When disabling the drivers the fan is quiet.

I have a GTX 970, I'm using the iMac14,2 definition and with Nvidia drivers enabled I also have the fans at full speed. When disabling the drivers the fan is quiet.

I'm running a GTX 970 with the iMac14,2 and my fans behave normally. Have also used iMac15,1 without any issues.

Okay, I just switched to both iMac14,2 and iMac15,1 and they both have the fan issue.

So loud... so very, very loud... :) I'm going to try MacPro6,1 and keep my fingers crossed.

Update: MacPro6,1 didn't work either. :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back