Core i5 7500
Graphics
Intel HD630
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi. As a first-time builder I'm looking for guidance on a suitable approach to create a reliable, robust, economic Hackintosh desktop to take over from my ageing Macbook Pro (mid 2010) as my main day-to-day computing platform.

My goal is to have a fast and reliable machine running Sierra, and which is easily upgradeable to High Sierra and beyond. Ideally I'd like my first build to be trouble free in terms of the OS installation - I've gone through a lot of the extensive troubleshooting information on this site, and I'd much prefer not to have to go there if possible. Is that realistic, or should I assume that I'm going to end up in the weeds, and need to set aside a significant chunk of time just to get things working?

My plan, such as it is, is for a full size ATX board, a Skylake i5 chip, no graphics card to begin with, instead investing my limited budget in RAM and SSD. As budget allows I'd like to upgrade to a graphics card at a later date (I'm not into gaming particularly and as I understand it the onboard Intel graphics performance is respectable). Does that approach make sense? Is it straightforward to add a graphics card post-install or would that entail doing a whole new reinstallation of the OS?

I'd appreciate any guidance on motherboard and other components that experienced folks know to be trouble-free, reliable and economical.

I'm not interested in bells and whistles. A rock solid workmanlike build is my goal. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

I would go with a kaby lake I5-7500 CPU and an ATX H270 motherboard from Gigabyte or Asus. That combo of parts will have support in High Sierra. No reason you still have to go with Skylake and H170 at this point. Yes you can add a graphics card very easily later on. Won't have to reinstall the OS. Buy and build now, install Windows and burn it in and test the hardware and by the time you're done with that, 10.12.6 with Kaby Lk. support should be available.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/special/early-adopters-guide-kaby-lake-200-series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back