Contribute
Register

New XPS 15 (9560) compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I did. It doesn't work for the 9560 all that well. At the very least, it could be a LOT better.
Jonny4911 on page 5 of this thread has a better guide (don't use pandora! Use RehabMan's guide instead!). But even that build has a lot of unnecessary fluff. Like, a LOT of it.

So, I've got a 9560 (4K Touch, 1TB with Toshiba XG4 set to 4k sectors, 32GB RAM) that I'm about 75% done with at the moment. Battery life is >6Hrs, NVidia GPU can be selectively enabled with an SSDT for CUDA purposes, brightness works (almost; gotta figure out why it's getting overridden on reboots), and sleep works (it actually just "Power Napped" behind me). Still need to get USB working (will do with modifying USBInjectAll; I already know it does work--even Type-C hotplug to a limited degree--using Jonny4911's stuff from that same thread) and hdmi/regular audio. I've been basically building this thing from scratch at this point (the Clover wiki kind of sucks, so I've been reading the source code to figure out how it works), and I hope to be more helpful when I'm finished. It'll probably take several more days, though.

Oh, and System/Library/Extensions so far is completely vanilla. In fact, with a swapped Wi-Fi card (I recommend either the Dell DW1560 or DW1830, the 1830 only if you're willing to hardware hack a little bit and add a third antenna), I am of the mind that this laptop can be made nearly perfect. So here's your success story. :p

OMG MacOS on a 4K 100% AdobeRGB display. On a 15" Laptop. WITH A TOUCHSCREEN!!

Thanks a lot for the update, that sounds pretty promising, I've got the exact same model btw, and unclear documentation is something that prevented me from actually trying a tutorial so far, and as much as I've got some coding skills I don't have the time to go down the rabbit hole just now. So sharing your experience is highly appreciated here, and hopefully, someone will write down a comprehensive tutorial for 9560 soon. Cheers!

Hi, I did. It doesn't work for the 9560 all that well. At the very least, it could be a LOT better.
Jonny4911 on page 5 of this thread has a better guide (don't use pandora! Use RehabMan's guide instead!). But even that build has a lot of unnecessary fluff. Like, a LOT of it.

So, I've got a 9560 (4K Touch, 1TB with Toshiba XG4 set to 4k sectors, 32GB RAM) that I'm about 75% done with at the moment. Battery life is >6Hrs, NVidia GPU can be selectively enabled with an SSDT for CUDA purposes, brightness works (almost; gotta figure out why it's getting overridden on reboots), and sleep works (it actually just "Power Napped" behind me). Still need to get USB working (will do with modifying USBInjectAll; I already know it does work--even Type-C hotplug to a limited degree--using Jonny4911's stuff from that same thread) and hdmi/regular audio. I've been basically building this thing from scratch at this point (the Clover wiki kind of sucks, so I've been reading the source code to figure out how it works), and I hope to be more helpful when I'm finished. It'll probably take several more days, though.

Oh, and System/Library/Extensions so far is completely vanilla. In fact, with a swapped Wi-Fi card (I recommend either the Dell DW1560 or DW1830, the 1830 only if you're willing to hardware hack a little bit and add a third antenna), I am of the mind that this laptop can be made nearly perfect. So here's your success story. :p

OMG MacOS on a 4K 100% AdobeRGB display. On a 15" Laptop. WITH A TOUCHSCREEN!!

KNNSpeed - thank you for sharing your findings.

On a 9560 (4k touch, 1Tb 960 EVO) @ about 50% functionality with the github install variant - but too many items non ideal.
Not working: screen brightness control, audio starts (then cuts out until reboot), display redraw issues, no webcam, etc.. the usual.
Trackpad, Touch display do work fine though. Using Asus USB wifi with Edimax drivers until I get the wifi card replacement.

Will try your suggested route, but with El Capitan ... Sierra kills too many apps I need to have working and I'm not ready to fork out $1500+ for software upgrades just to have Sierra compatibility.

Delete

Last edited:
Keep up the good work guys! I was introduced to the hacking community late 2016 and built a great Hackintosh desktop but I'm really missing the portability of a laptop. Apple's offerings are too expensive for what you get, and I want the ports, contemporary hardware, but not the gimmicky touch bar. The XPS has the features that I wanted (love that infinity screen) on a current MacBook but it's really difficult to abandon MacOS.

Any updates since the last barrage of posts in this thread? Has anyone got it working satisfactorily?

Last edited:
If you still have the Killer card, yeah, an external/USB wifi module would be a good idea. Suitable internal replacement cards are the DW1830 and DW1560 (see build for more details).

Yes. All handoff and continuity features work 100% for me. (Though I suppose it depends on which wireless card you use: I'm using a DW1830 with a 3rd antenna installed.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back