GT 740
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
HI!
I'll be building this:
MOBO Gigabyte X97A-UD7 TH
CPU Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz, 8MB Cache-BX80646I74790K
RAM Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)
EVGA 02G-P4-3744-KR GeForce GT 740 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 Video Card (I've built a Hack for a friend using this card ant installed ML, Mavericks and Yosemite with no problems).
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E250B/AM)

Will it run 10.8.5?
Will everything work (it's important to me to have Spdif Out Audio working)? What will not work?
Any drawbacks?
Thanks in advance.

Is this a typo? "MOBO Gigabyte X97A-UD7 TH" as I do not find this motherboard in a web search.

Good modding,
neil

HI!
Finally I assembled this build.
Couldn't make Mountain Lion run, no without lots of problems.... I've read somewhere that it could run but you would have to touch lots of things, and I don't like it, I like to keep my hacks as vanilla as I can.
So I went to Mavericks 10.9.5... I hate it, but It was pretty easy the usual, Unibeast/Multibeast, way.
Maybe if I have some spare time I will try ML again or even check if Yosemite worths the price, and if everything I use works flawlessly on Yosemite.
One final important thing: my mobo is v1.0 and came with BIOS F4. I have some random freezes and I could not track them as it could run without any problems for one day and a half and suddenly one freeze after another (obviously the only way to get out of the freeze was reset or turn off).
Last night I was in desperation and noticed that there was a F5 BIOS that brings support to 5th generation processors.... so update. It's been running without freeze for more than 20 hours now.
Hope it keeps this way!
And I hope this post may help somebody with the same Problem.
Cheers.

PS: Suddenly, freeze came back.... I've found that BOOT OPTION on BIOS has to be on Legacy if using Chimera. I discovered it cos I've been playing with Clover and left it on UEFI ONLY, and then when came back to Chimera put BOOT OPTION on UEFI AND LEGACY. So either choice that includes UEFI brings FREEZE.
Otherway the hack is Nicely Stable.

PS2: I've been experiencing TP-Link WDN4800 drops.... and read somewhere that I had to disable WAKE ON LAN at the BIOS.... But started to experience OS FREEZE again! Reverted to Enable and the system does not freeze anymore, and curiously the wifi worked without any drops since this morning!

Soon I'll post a guide to install Clover. I've done it today after a couple of days testing and so far so good!

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back