Contribute
Register

new video editing hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
brawlz33 said:
Yeah haha I do too! Lol I guess if it doesn't well then I'll learn my lesson lol

And thank you, I think I'd like to keep the build as vanilla as possible, but I'm willing to do some work also

What do you mean?

yeah i guess that doesnt make a whole lot of sense... sorry! haha i was half asleep when i wrote it.

What i meant to say is... while i would like to keep the install vanilla (working right out of the box, correct?) i am willing to do some coding or hacking if i have to. does that make more sense?

brawlz33 said:
yeah i guess that doesnt make a whole lot of sense... sorry! haha i was half asleep when i wrote it.

What i meant to say is... while i would like to keep the install vanilla (working right out of the box, correct?) i am willing to do some coding or hacking if i have to. does that make more sense?

It makes sense, I just wasn't sure how it pertained to my comment. :)

oh haha thats just me thinkin to many thoughts at once... I thought I had read somewhere that iBoot supported was the most vanilla of the three. so thats why when you said i could use it i responded with that lol

J

brawlz33 said:
... As for memory for now, im not editing such huge files so ill start out with 3x2 gig sticks and if need be up it as i go.

Same with the harddrive, i have a 1tb in my current comp that will move and then ill add the new one and raid when i need to. ...

With 6GB RAM you won't get far with CS5 in video editing. You might only be able to play back a couple of seconds, then CS is rendering again, playback 2 seconds, render, playback, render.... it drives me bananas (8GB here). There are a lot of situations where you want to work with full res footage. The more RAM you have the more fluid you can work.
Don't work with video files from the system drive - slows you down.

And multiple drive setups: I don't know if that problem is solved in SL, but OS x normally likes it when you give your drives similar names (eg, video1, video 2). Sometimes it mixes up the names. Give the drive distinct names (your kids, girl friends,...)

Did you get the bt211 working? I have one and I can't seem to get the compy to identify it...

yeah i figure since im still pretty new at this i can start out with smaller stuff, and work my way up. For now i think 6 will be enough and if not ill add another 6 and work from there. besides since a hackintosh cant support 64 bit fully yet, the programs wont fully use over 4 gigs right?

As for the BT i havnt gotten all the parts in yet, should be in tomorrow. ill let you know then.

Justin

brawlz33 said:
besides since a hackintosh cant support 64 bit fully yet, the programs wont fully use over 4 gigs right?
I don't have any experience with Hackintosh yet (mine ist still on the drawing boards), but to my understanding the 64 bit is depending on the GPU. If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to correct me.
As you plan to build a CS5 video editing machine, you'd need a specific nVidia card to get the most out of it. Otherwise, I'd suggest Final Cut Pro. It still is a 32 bit app :( but runs perfectly on my under-equipped iMac.

I have been testing After Effects on a C2D iMac (9400 whatever GPU) and and on a 4-core Mac Pro (GT120). Both aren't really race horses with the CS5 video applications. It seems they are even slower with CS5 than with CS3.

Yeah, im still a bit confused by the 32/64 bit thing myself. Haha, i would like to get running in all 64 bit though. one step at a time...

I am posting from my freshly built hackintosh though! most everything is running, ethernet, audio, 6 gigs of ram, all harddrives... Graphics are being stubborn i think, (i get 1366x768 as my largest setting on a 1080i TV is that right?) and i messed up in ordering my bluetooth dongle... i got the bt-211 not the bt-21 like i was supposed to.. oops... well i do believe that everything is working otherwise... i still need to optimize my BIOS and get a cpu monitor software and check to make sure everything is going good. after that is all said and done im gonna dual boot windows 7 also. well if anyone has any advice for the GFX id appreciate it

thx,
J

brawlz33 said:
Graphics are being stubborn i think, (i get 1366x768 as my largest setting on a 1080i TV is that right?)
thx,
J

Search is your friend:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5906&p=40969&hilit=gtx+285#p40969

Nvidia has a recent update for 10.6.4 it seems. The gtx 285 should work very well. You may have to install the CUDA drivers separatly... check first. I myself am still using a gt9800.
Are you using the 64-bit plist from Multibeast-Advanced menu? If not, you should definitely be running in the 64-bit mode, it makes things sooooo much faster for video editing.

BTW, my experience with CS5 is fanatastic, I find it quicker than FCP and adds AVCHD "native" support... no need to transcode to ProRes. Very smooth, very fast... the whole suite. I have none of the playback/rendering kinks that were mentioned at an earlier post.

good luck, ninetto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back