Contribute
Register

new video editing hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh shoot, your completely right, haha i just saw the f3 and f4 and didnt even pay attn to the sizes, musta gotten them mixed up when i was writing it... oops lol. Do you have a recommendation for a smaller drive? would a SSD work? last time i checked (been a several months) SSD's didnt work that well. If they do now i might be interested in getting one for the OS Drive. would that make sense? haha sorry for all the newb questions, and i really appreciate you helping me out with this. As for the memory, ill bump it up the the faster speed. Other wise i believe im almost ready to purchase.

Thanks again,
Justin

Ok after more research and looking around, i think ive finalized my build. Let me know what you think.

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950

CPU Fan:
Scythe Mugen Mugen 2 CPU Cooler - Processor cooler - ( Socket 478, Socket 754, Socket 940, Socket 775, Socket 939, Socket AM2, Socket AM2+, Socket 1366 ) - aluminum with nickel plated copper base - 120 mm

Memory:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Video Card:
GIGABYTE GV-N285UD-1GH GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

SSD/HDD:
2x OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (OS Drives dual SL and 7)

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (Storage)

Disc Drive:
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Misc:
SL install disc
Scythe Twin Mounter 2.5 Rev.B - Storage bay adapter - 2.5" - 3.5" to 2.5"
ASUS USB-BT211 USB 2.0 Mini Bluetooth Dongle
Apple Wireless keyboard/trackpad or mouse

See anything else i missed? again let me know if you see something that doesnt look right, i value everyones opinion.

Thanks,
Justin

Justin,

This build looks wonderful ! :headbang:

Enjoy it ! (I'm sure you will)

Lnx2Mac

thanks lnx i really appreciate your kind words and help. I plan on purchasing it tomorrow or the beginning of this week. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Thanks,
Justin

I only can talk about RAM here: If you really want to edit with CS5, add as much RAM as possible, so go with 4GB sticks and load the board to its limit. Premiere and After Effects run beautifully with 24GB.

Harddrives: I assume you edit HD. Get two storage drives and build a software RAID for speed (OS X let's you do that easily - no controller needed).

I'm also gonna pick up a Scythe Big Shuriken cpu cooler as well as the mugen, because id really like to keep my current case if possible and then the contents of my current case go in the new case... then which ever cooler doesnt fit will go into the new case with what ever parts lol...

As for memory for now, im not editing such huge files so ill start out with 3x2 gig sticks and if need be up it as i go.

Same with the harddrive, i have a 1tb in my current comp that will move and then ill add the new one and raid when i need to.

Looks like im gonna order today. hopefully everything comes in quick!

J

I hope I'm not too late, but I'd recommend going with different SSD.

As far as I can see (only after brief research), the OCZ SSD that you chose don't have the Sandforce controller, which means that you will see degradation in performance in your drive, since there is no support for TRIM in SL.

Personally, I'd go with 2 of these for the same price:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal ... _State_Pro

I bought my SSD before I knew about the lack of support for TRIM in SL, and that the Sandforce controller handled it via hardware, so it solves that issue for SL users. Luckily I got my drive super cheap, so I'm really not at much of a loss if I need to upgrade it later.

P.S. - SSD as OS boot drives are awesome. :)

Well, just ordered everything and according to newegg and amazon it should all be here in about 3-4 days :D

So once i get it all and put it together, i'll probably use iboot-multibeast method. Would i be able to use the iboot supported since im using the i7? it didnt specify so i thought id ask. anyways ill let you guys know how the build goes.

Thanks,
J

After a bit of research i found several sites that say it does infact have the sandforce 1200 controller.
http://www.pc-waves.com/index.php/en/we ... 2-2vtxe60g
there is one, ill keep doing a bit of research and let you know more as i find it.

brawlz33 said:
Well, just ordered everything and according to newegg and amazon it should all be here in about 3-4 days :D

So once i get it all and put it together, i'll probably use iboot-multibeast method. Would i be able to use the iboot supported since im using the i7? it didnt specify so i thought id ask. anyways ill let you guys know how the build goes.

Thanks,
J

After a bit of research i found several sites that say it does infact have the sandforce 1200 controller.
http://www.pc-waves.com/index.php/en/we ... 2-2vtxe60g
there is one, ill keep doing a bit of research and let you know more as i find it.

That's interesting. I hope it has it! :D

You can use iBoot supported.

Yeah haha I do too! Lol I guess if it doesn't well then I'll learn my lesson lol

And thank you, I think I'd like to keep the build as vanilla as possible, but I'm willing to do some work also

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back