Contribute
Register

new video editing hackintosh

Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
19
Motherboard
hack pro
CPU
i7 930
Graphics
nvidia 285gtx
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hey guys,

First post and i'm lookin at building my first hackintosh! I am going to school for film and am needing a good editing computer...(we use Avid at school so i will be using it at home also along with Adobe CS5) I looked at buying a mac pro, but id much rather save money and do a hack... So ive been doing some reading on here and have decided on a few parts, but could still use some help. (I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.) and would like to stay around 1500ish (less would be better! :headbang: )

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU Fan:
Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 Rev.B 5 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Memory:Still need a bit of help on this one... shooting for 12 gigs should i do 6/2gig or 3/4 gig? but from what ive read it seems like
2x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Video card(s):need a bit of help here too. Was looking at the 9800gt fanless, should i go with 2? stick with one? upgrade to the 260 series?
GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Harddrives: can add more later... will be fine for now.
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Diskdrive: couldnt really find it, but is Bluray supported? otherwise
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU: after reading a bit more i came across this one
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Case: again suggestions? would like to keep it professional looking. (no lights or anything) maybe a HTPC case? i have my PC in one and love the way it looks.
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Monitor: For now using my TV/Monitor... a 42in westinghouse 720p... Wanting to upgrade to a 1080p 42in TV/Monitor. should i get a smaller monitor instead? I will be sticking with this one for now.

Networking: Wireless? i dont network with other comps, so just a wireless card will work, right?

Mouse/Keyboard:
any issues with the wireless mac stuff?
Wireless magic mouse and wiresless keyboard

Anything else? please all recomendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Justin

(edited for new parts 10-20-10 10:49pm)
 
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
78
Motherboard
I7
CPU
I7
Graphics
NVIDIA GTS450
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
brawlz33 said:
Hey guys,

First post and i'm lookin at building my first hackintosh! I am going to school for film and am needing a good editing computer...(we use Avid at school so i will be using it at home also along with Adobe CS5) I looked at buying a mac pro, but id much rather save money and do a hack... So ive been doing some reading on here and have decided on a few parts, but could still use some help. (I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.) and would like to stay around 1500ish (less would be better! :headbang: )

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU Fan:
Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 Rev.B 5 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Memory:Still need a bit of help on this one... shooting for 12 gigs should i do 6/2gig or 3/4 gig? but from what ive read it seems like
2x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ

Video card(s):need a bit of help here too. Was looking at the 9800gt fanless, should i go with 2? stick with one? upgrade to the 260 series?
GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Harddrives: can add more later... will be fine for now.
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Diskdrive: couldnt really find it, but is Bluray supported? otherwise
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU: after reading a bit more i came across this one
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Case: again suggestions? would like to keep it professional looking. (no lights or anything) maybe a HTPC case? i have my PC in one and love the way it looks.
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

Monitor: For now using my TV/Monitor... a 42in westinghouse 720p... Wanting to upgrade to a 1080p 42in TV/Monitor. should i get a smaller monitor instead? I will be sticking with this one for now.

Networking: Wireless? i dont network with other comps, so just a wireless card will work, right?

Mouse/Keyboard:
any issues with the wireless mac stuff?
Wireless magic mouse and wiresless keyboard

Anything else? please all recomendations are welcome.

Thanks,
Justin

(edited for new parts 10-20-10 10:49pm)


I just built a similiar system with the same MB. some quick notes.
-MB is fine, CPU is fine no real issues
-CPU cooler is good, make sure you buy a cpu cooler the stock one is a POS.
-vid card 9800gt, this will work for a single card (not sure if SLI will cause boot problems, not sure if it will work in SLI either). There have been mixed reports about getting dual-digital out of this card (DVI+VGA ok, but mixed about DVI+HDMI). GTX260 or GTX285 ok choices (if a little overpriced), Radeon 5770 also a good choice (and i can confirm dual dvi works). why the tv for monitor? Do people really sit in front of 42-inch tvs as a monitor :)


-memory, doesn't matter but if you want to do a lot of mem do either 6 or 12 so you can use triple channel, i recommend Mushkin but everyone has their preference, i just return some Corsair and OCZ (both decent brands) for bad timings so i think memory is a gamble in general.

-osx does not support blueray playback but you can use it to burn discs

-power supply and case are up to you, i like corsair.

-wireless there are some dlink pci cards which are compatible as well as some USB sticks which will work. another option is to get a mini-pci->pci adaptor and a mini-pci wireless card (for notebooks) which will work natively.

-keyboard/mouse no real problems, bluetooth there are a few bluetooth dongles which work natively i have a kensington and asus one which are recognized natively.
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
2,285
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
brawlz33 said:
Hey guys,

First post and i'm lookin at building my first hackintosh! I am going to school for film and am needing a good editing computer...(we use Avid at school so i will be using it at home also along with Adobe CS5) I looked at buying a mac pro, but id much rather save money and do a hack... So ive been doing some reading on here and have decided on a few parts, but could still use some help. (I'd like to future proof it as much as possible.) and would like to stay around 1500ish (less would be better! :headbang: )
Looks good...

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930
As you will be using less than 16GB RAM, a P55 + i7-870/875 is also a good choice...
Might be cheaper with no performance loss.

CPU Fan:
Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 Rev.B 5 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler
:clap:

Memory:Still need a bit of help on this one... shooting for 12 gigs should i do 6/2gig or 3/4 gig? but from what ive read it seems like
2x G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ
G.Skill is great RAM...
And the G.Skill Eco F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO (2x2GB) is in my opinion the best PC3-12800 RAM.
If you want 12GB, you can take 3 kits of 2x2GB...
OTOH, if you decide to go the P55 way, you'll have to choose either 8GB or 16GB RAM (but not Eco :()...

Video card(s):need a bit of help here too. Was looking at the 9800gt fanless, should i go with 2? stick with one? upgrade to the 260 series?
GIGABYTE GV-N98TSL-1GI GeForce 9800 GT 1GB Silent Cell 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
As long as you need not more than 2 monitors, 1 card will be fine... Anyway, OSX doesn't support SLI.
BTW, I use the GV-N98TSL-1GI and am very pleased with it... Though I'm not a gamer.

Harddrives: can add more later... will be fine for now.
Western Digital RE3 WD1002FBYS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
I'd recommend you the Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB... Very fast, and quiet as a Green one.
Compare:
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd_l ... WD1002FBYS
vs.
http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hdd_l ... NG+HD103SJ

Diskdrive: couldnt really find it, but is Bluray supported? otherwise
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM
Sony-Optiarc... :thumbup:
Bluray is only supported as a "burning" medium... I'd skip it.

PSU: after reading a bit more i came across this one
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Great choice !

Case: again suggestions? would like to keep it professional looking. (no lights or anything) maybe a HTPC case? i have my PC in one and love the way it looks.
SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum front panel, 0.8 mm SECC body LC17-B ATX Media Center / HTPC Case
I think you won't be able to fit the Mugen-2 in this case...
I picked the Antec Sonata Designer 500.
Good looks (IMO) and wonderful noise dampening features.

Monitor: For now using my TV/Monitor... a 42in westinghouse 720p... Wanting to upgrade to a 1080p 42in TV/Monitor. should i get a smaller monitor instead? I will be sticking with this one for now.
Do you plan on using HDMI or DVI ?
HDMI sometimes causes trouble with some monitors/TV-sets.

Networking: Wireless? i dont network with other comps, so just a wireless card will work, right?
See: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1143

Mouse/Keyboard:
any issues with the wireless mac stuff?
Wireless magic mouse and wiresless keyboard
It all depends on the BT dongle you use...
Apparently Asus and Jabra work best, but there are many posts about this in the forum... search.php

I'm using an old one and the only issue I have is I have to replug it after wake-up...
Not a biggie...

Anything else? please all recomendations are welcome.
BTW, consider the Magic Trackpad... I LOVE IT !
Once you use it, you might never want to touch a rodent again ;)

And of course, don't forget your Retail Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD...

Good Luck !
Lnx2Mac
 
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
19
Motherboard
hack pro
CPU
i7 930
Graphics
nvidia 285gtx
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
The monitor situation is kinda funny. i have all my computers set up in my living room HTPC style. (i love being single!) and therefore i only have the one tv/monitor lol...

Ok so i did a bit of a revision of parts thanks to the suggestions here and from other places.
-I would like to keep x58 for future proofing (get the 6 core when the price drops)
I went up from the ud3r to the ud5 from a few things i read, will either of those or the ud7 work out of the box?
-I chose the 930 bc it seems to have the least problems from my current research so far (please correct me if im wrong).
-being that i did the x58 i need to stick with a triple channel memory set up right? so i did a 6 gigs 3/2 set up.
-I decided to spend a bit extra on the gtx 285 bc as much as i dont need to, i catch myself gaming in my free time lol
-i tossed in a couple 320 gig drives for system and dual booting. and went with the samsung brand since it was recommended by lnx
-psu 620 is plenty right? even if i want to add raid later? or should i bump up to the 750?
-as for the case i like the one lnx recommended, but i would like it in black since everything else electronic in my livingroom is also black.

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU Fan:
Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 Rev.B 5 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Memory:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ

Video card:
GIGABYTE GV-N285UD-1GH GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Harddrives:
2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (system drive dual boot)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (storage drive)

Diskdrive:
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mouse/Keyboard:
any issues with the wireless mac stuff?
Wireless magic mouse or magic track pad... or both and wiresless keyboard

Misc:
SL retail disc
Bluetooth dongle


So what do ya think, any issues?

thanks for all the help so far,
Justin
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
2,285
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
brawlz33 said:
The monitor situation is kinda funny. i have all my computers set up in my living room HTPC style. (i love being single!) and therefore i only have the one tv/monitor lol...

Ok so i did a bit of a revision of parts thanks to the suggestions here and from other places.
-I would like to keep x58 for future proofing (get the 6 core when the price drops)
:thumbup:

I went up from the ud3r to the ud5 from a few things i read, will either of those or the ud7 work out of the box?
-I chose the 930 bc it seems to have the least problems from my current research so far (please correct me if im wrong).
-being that i did the x58 i need to stick with a triple channel memory set up right? so i did a 6 gigs 3/2 set up.
-I decided to spend a bit extra on the gtx 285 bc as much as i dont need to, i catch myself gaming in my free time lol
-i tossed in a couple 320 gig drives for system and dual booting. and went with the samsung brand since it was recommended by lnx
-psu 620 is plenty right? even if i want to add raid later? or should i bump up to the 750?
-as for the case i like the one lnx recommended, but i would like it in black since everything else electronic in my livingroom is also black.

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU:
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601930

CPU Fan:
Scythe SCMG-2100 MUGEN-2 Rev.B 5 Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

Memory:
G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9T-6GBNQ
You probably want a PC3-12800 (or faster) for a bit more performance, the price diff should not be very significant.

Video card:
GIGABYTE GV-N285UD-1GH GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Not sure how noisy it is... Or how much faster than the 9800.

Harddrives:
2x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3R HE103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (system drive dual boot)
I have no experience with this specific model...
What lead you to pick this one ? Did you find any serious reviews of this one ?

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD322GJ/U 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive (storage drive)
Note that this is a "short-stroked" drive for performance...
I guess you chose it not for "Storage", but as your Scratch disk...

Diskdrive:
Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - OEM

PSU:
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Case:
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Mouse/Keyboard:
any issues with the wireless mac stuff?
Wireless magic mouse or magic track pad... or both and wiresless keyboard

Misc:
SL retail disc
Bluetooth dongle


So what do ya think, any issues?
:thumbup:

All in all, a very nice build ! :headbang:
 
Joined
Aug 29, 2010
Messages
78
Motherboard
I7
CPU
I7
Graphics
NVIDIA GTS450
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
-the x58-udr3 will work fine so no need to go ud5 unless you want the upgraded board.
-for mem you don't have to do triple channel you could just do 4gb if that's all you need for now, you lose a little performance.
-i'm using a i7-950 (was only a little more expensive then the 930) and it works fine too, any of the i7s are ok.
--gtx260 has a pretty sizeable fan, if you're looking at that also consider the gigabyte 5770
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
hey everyone, i'm brand new to this site as you can see. I'm thinking of building a computer very similar to brawls. I will be using it for editing high definition video so i want it to be pretty powerful. The setup i have now just doesn't cut it. it will be my first hackintosh. Just had a few questions regarding the video card & a few other things. which video card did you end up going with brawls? Here's what i have so far in terms of set up:

mobo: GA-P55A-UD4P paired with an i5 760 OR GA-X58A-UD3R w/ i7-930

Ram: 6 or 8 depending on which mobo i get. what brand is recommended?

Video Card: here is where i need the most help. any recommendations would be great.

PSU: 700 W

CASE: Auzentech GMC R-3 Corona Case - Black

HD: Samsung Spinpoint 1tb( already have one and i'll get one more)
Samsung spinpoint 500GB( for OS. Wanting to dual boot windows 7 & snow leopard. is this possible?)

Thanks in advance.
 
Joined
Oct 21, 2010
Messages
19
Motherboard
hack pro
CPU
i7 930
Graphics
nvidia 285gtx
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
molokoplus said:
hey everyone, i'm brand new to this site as you can see. I'm thinking of building a computer very similar to brawls. I will be using it for editing high definition video so i want it to be pretty powerful. The setup i have now just doesn't cut it. it will be my first hackintosh. Just had a few questions regarding the video card & a few other things. which video card did you end up going with brawls? Here's what i have so far in terms of set up:

mobo: GA-P55A-UD4P paired with an i5 760 OR GA-X58A-UD3R w/ i7-930

Ram: 6 or 8 depending on which mobo i get. what brand is recommended?

Video Card: here is where i need the most help. any recommendations would be great.

PSU: 700 W

CASE: Auzentech GMC R-3 Corona Case - Black

HD: Samsung Spinpoint 1tb( already have one and i'll get one more)
Samsung spinpoint 500GB( for OS. Wanting to dual boot windows 7 & snow leopard. is this possible?)

Thanks in advance.

well im still workin on it myself, but i went with G. skill ram, heard a lot of good things. for the video card, the 9800 fanless or the GTS 260 ive heard a lot of good things. i went with the GTX 285 because i tend to play games lol. psu should be fine. as for harddrives, i believe you have to have 2 seperate harddrives for dual boot.

someone please correct me if im wrong on any of those points, haha im still pretty new, but i learn quick.

As for lnx, i wasnt sure about the ram, i was originally gonna get the 1600 speed, but saw that it wasnt supported by the board? would you still advise to get it? for the video card i heard some good things about it. As for the 2 smaller drives, i went with your recommendation on the samsung and thought that those were smaller versions of the same type of drive, i guess the PC in me is showing. I like to install my OS on a smaller faster drive and then have programs on another drive and then storage drives... i dont know how that would work for a mac. TBH i dont know a whole lot about the scratch drives, i just went with the bigger drive as a storage drive. If you have an idea for me for that id love to hear it.

Thx,
J
 
Joined
Oct 22, 2010
Messages
3
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
thanks for the reply brawls, i'm gonna probably go with g. skill ram. one more thing, i'm playing on running a dual monitor setup, should i get two video cards? or just one that can handle two monitors?
 
Joined
Mar 11, 2010
Messages
2,285
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD4
CPU
i7-860
Graphics
9800 GT
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
brawlz33 said:
As for lnx, i wasnt sure about the ram, i was originally gonna get the 1600 speed, but saw that it wasnt supported by the board? would you still advise to get it?
Yes, should be OK.

for the video card i heard some good things about it. As for the 2 smaller drives, i went with your recommendation on the samsung and thought that those were smaller versions of the same type of drive, i guess the PC in me is showing.
The shortstroked F4 should be a bit faster than the 1TB HD103SJ, but at its price, you might as well consider getting an SSD.

I like to install my OS on a smaller faster drive and then have programs on another drive and then storage drives... i dont know how that would work for a mac.
See: http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2010/09/mov ... ition.html ;)

TBH i dont know a whole lot about the scratch drives, i just went with the bigger drive as a storage drive. If you have an idea for me for that id love to hear it.
But you picked the "smaller" one (F4 320GB) for "Storage", and 2 * HE103SJ for "system" :?
 
Top