Contribute
Register

New To System Building... Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
damndoe said:
Get 3x4GB. No point to buy 2GB modules. Only so little more money.

I'll second that (I guess), knowing that this particular motherboard can do Double Channel with two matched memory modules or Triple Channel with three matched memory modules. (so that's odd). (these are speedups for matched sets)

I didn't know it did triple - just got 2x4 and am happy with my RAM, but it's nagging at me to go get a 3rd while it's most likely it'll be the "same".

Construction is now soon to be underway... :D

The final cost of components came out to only $1235, which includes the core i7 970 with six cores, which I just happened to spot briefly in Amazon's marketplace for just under $500... new! (This is around $85 less than the lowest price I've found anywhere else, including ebay.) I should have it in hand around the middle of next week. With the exception of the tower case and the 10.6 install disc, the remaining components were purchased through newegg. (Newegg offers some pretty good discounts at purchase, saving me about $135.)

Assuming the build goes smoothly, it'll have cost me $220 less than I initially estimated.

Thanks again for all the help! I'm sure you'll hear more from me later after the components arrive.

Construction complete!

The OS install was pretty easy using the iBoot/Multibeast combo and the DSDT file from here for my motherboard.

With the exception of sleep, everything seems to be working. There are a few gaps of info about the system in System Profiler though, but nothing too critical.

The best part of this build... it over-clocks unbelievably well! I've been able to sustain 4.5GHz on air cooling alone. I was intending on 3.8GHz-4.0GHz as my original target range, but I must have gotten one of those flukes of manufacturing where all the components are perfect.

(I may still pull it back to 4.3GHz, just to be safe though...)

see my signature

Wow... sorry about getting back to you.

Here's a rough rundown:

- intel Core i7 970 (6 core @ 3.2GHz)
- Gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r motherboard
- Gigabyte 1GB Radeon 5770 video card
- antec 300 mid-tower casing
- Corsair H50 liquid cooling kit
- 6GB RAM (3x2GB triple channel 240-pin DIMM kit)
- 1TB hard drive
- 60GB SSD
- 24x DVD/CD burner
- 850 watt power supply
- USB wifi and bluetooth dongles

frankpro.jpg

Besides the apple stickers the case looks awesome ;-)
What score on Novabench, Cinebench? i7 970 awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back