Contribute
Register

New to Hackintosh, will these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,

thanks for your comments. I guess as i'm new to this I was following what had been posted in previous builds but good to know that it's getting kind of old.

I'll go with your suggestion @louiefriesen, might stick to 3200 RAM due to budget though.

I like the look of the Fractal Meshify C.

Any air-cooled recommendations for a heatsink for an i7 10700K?

hi,

thanks for your comments. I guess as i'm new to this I was following what had been posted in previous builds but good to know that it's getting kind of old.

I'll go with your suggestion @louiefriesen, might stick to 3200 RAM due to budget though.

I like the look of the Fractal Meshify C.

Don't sweat being new. With every update, there will undoubtedly be more to learn for everyone around.

DDR4-3200 is still a perfectly reasonable speed. Make sure to set up the proper XMP Profile in your BIOS when you install it to take advantage of its full capability. The difference between 3200-3600 is negligible in most cases and you'll likely not ever notice the difference. Putting your money somewhere you'll feel the difference is good general philosophy.

Meshify C is also a super dope case. Play with your fan settings so it doesn't sound like a jet though. Unless that's your thing ;)

BeQuiet and Noctua are generally seen as the high-end for air-cooling. If you're planning on overclocking though, liquid cooling might be your best bet and will be pretty damn quiet too. I'm not sure about the exact thermal metrics but overclocking usually results in higher sustained temps so that's why I lean toward liquid for that. Air-cooling handles spikes very well but can be loud. I use the Corsair H115i and its been good to me.

I'm not sure the H115i will fit in the case but it looks good.

What about WiFi? I'm guessing I'll need a seperate card for that right?

It's been a while since I built a pc

I'm not sure the H115i will fit in the case but it looks good.

What about WiFi? I'm guessing I'll need a seperate card for that right?

It's been a while since I built a pc
It SHOULD fit in the case. It can hold up to 360mm radiators Front mounted only and 240mm Top and Front. The real question will come down to clearance for your GFX card. It's a longboard you maybe might possibly have issues with clearance. The specs on the cases usually list that kind of info.
"GPU max length 315 mm with front fan mounted" - from FractalDesign.com

As for WiFi, that's a whole topic. From my experience with Hackintosh, and based on the build I'm currently running, here's my recommendation. Take this with a grain of salt.
Grab a motherboard that has a m.2 Type E key slot on it. It it comes with a wifi chip in the m.2 E-Key, awesome.
Find and order a DW1830 WiFi/BT chip online for like $25. Sell the one that it came with and make back that $25.

Drop the DW1830 in the slot and you're off to the races. The Wifi on the DW1830 is natively supported in OS X so you don't have to fiddle too much. Just be sure that when you do order the DW1830 you also grab a couple wire antennas that you can run from your case to either the antenna sockets on the motherboard backplate, or internal antennas to run along the inside of your case. There should be three, two for WiFi and one for BlueTooth.

Wifi on the DW1830s is natively supported so you'll be up and running in no time. Bluetooth might take a some digital jiggly-wiggly voodoo kexting magic to get working, but once you get it, you'll be golden.

In the forums you'll also find about 7234597459834598723498751 threads and posts regarding WiFi (that is an exact number). Start here >>>Network<<<.

i tihnk i'm going to go with the Black Rock Pro for the heat sink and stick to ethernet for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back