Contribute
Register

New to Hackintosh, will these parts work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GIGABYTE Z490 Vision D
CPU
i7-10700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Hi,

I'm looking at building my first Hackintosh, will this list of parts play nicely with each other?

CPU - I7 9700k - $700
GPU - Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt - $700
MB - GIGABYTE Z390 DESIGNARE -$350
SSD - 2 x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB - $240
PSU - Corsair RMX Series (2018), RM650x - $240
CASE - I'm guessing any ATX case is ok?
RAM - Crucial BL2K16G32C16U4B Ballistix 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 Gaming Memory - $290

Another question i've got is if i've got OSX on one drive and Windows on the other what is the best way to switch between the 2?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds OK.
Here are some of my recommendations with newer parts

CPU - Intel Core i7 10700K or 10700
GPU - The Gigabyte one is fine, but I'd recommend a Sapphire NITRO+ one
MB - Gigabyte Z490 VISION D
SSD - WD Black SN750 500GB x2 (way faster than the 860 EVO)
PSU - Seasonic FOCUS GX-650
Case - Fractal Design is the best, but I'll list other brands below too.
RAM - Looks OK. I would go with 3600 MHz in one of these:
G.Skill Trident Z RGB
Corsair Vengeance LPX
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

Best Case Brands:

Fractal Design
be quiet!
Corsair
Phanteks

I would highly recommend having macOS on one drive and Windows on another, because it is way easier that way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd also lean toward the newer generation of things if you're planning on spending that much money, though there's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting. Much depends on the setup and making sure you've got the right kexts and configuration.

I'm also a huge fan of Fractal Design. I roll with a Define R6. I love it. And it's massive. And I love it. But that's just me. They make seriously good hardware. Their fans are solid too.

Though at your price point, why not grab some NVMe drives? They'll almost always be faster than any SATA drive. Seems a little odd to be rolling that kind of hardware with SATA drives. Again, nothing wrong with it. I have SATA myself.

Also, consider a slightly bigger PSU. Basically you want to be at 60-70% at full load. Extra headroom is nice for expanding, and you'll be a little gentler on the unit itself, so maybe a 750w to be safe. And make sure its Gold or higher. Anything less and you're wasting money on your utility bill.

Just my .02

I'd also lean toward the newer generation of things if you're planning on spending that much money, though there's nothing wrong with what you're suggesting. Much depends on the setup and making sure you've got the right kexts and configuration.

Except that a 10700 and z490 is a better set up because you will have another CPU generation that can be just swapped in next year.

I'm also a huge fan of Fractal Design. I roll with a Define R6. I love it. And it's massive. And I love it. But that's just me. They make seriously good hardware. Their fans are solid too.

Though at your price point, why not grab some NVMe drives? They'll almost always be faster than any SATA drive. Seems a little odd to be rolling that kind of hardware with SATA drives. Again, nothing wrong with it. I have SATA myself.

Also, consider a slightly bigger PSU. Basically you want to be at 60-70% at full load. Extra headroom is nice for expanding, and you'll be a little gentler on the unit itself, so maybe a 750w to be safe. And make sure its Gold or higher. Anything less and you're wasting money on your utility bill.

Just my .02
I totally agree with you.

Oh yeah that things is super pretty. As long as the airflow matches the R6, which the design seems to be based, on it should be a killer box.
I like the RGB strip and the TG or mesh(ish) option for the top. I might want to put like some Corsair QL fans on top with the TG.

I ended up with the white FractalDEsign fans along the top and back and just popped a few of these Phantek Halos one them. Since I've got two FD Ventura's pulling air from the bottom and the radiator mounted in the front pulling in air that way, it balances quite well and looks super clean. Plus the Halos are about $12 each so it's pretty darn affordable option.

Attachments

• HotRod.jpg
    HotRod.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 52
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back