Contribute
Register

New to Hackintosh,wanna fire off some questions(Mojave)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
laptop idk
CPU
i5 i dont feel like checking that **** rn
Graphics
1050ti
First off, I've been reading and watching content about hackintosh pcs for the past couple weeks and I have a few questions. Also I am not looking to make a beast of a pc with this one. I would like to use an i5 6600k since I already have one I do not use, although it is not a big deal if I cannot use that on mojave.

Something I have not been able to figure out is whether my choice of power supply, hard drive, and cpu cooler make a difference, if so I am open to anyone's recommendations. I am pretty set on the rx 560 since from what I've seen it is supported. I would also like to have wifi and bluetooth but I am not sure about which cards are supported with mojave so I would love to hear recommendations for that as well.

I am pretty much looking for a build that is mid tier and will not cause too many issues for setup. I am very open to suggestions and would love to hear your opinions/thoughts. Thanks

First off, I've been reading and watching content about hackintosh pcs for the past couple weeks and I have a few questions. Also I am not looking to make a beast of a pc with this one. I would like to use an i5 6600k since I already have one I do not use, although it is not a big deal if I cannot use that on mojave.

Something I have not been able to figure out is whether my choice of power supply, hard drive, and cpu cooler make a difference, if so I am open to anyone's recommendations. I am pretty set on the rx 560 since from what I've seen it is supported. I would also like to have wifi and bluetooth but I am not sure about which cards are supported with mojave so I would love to hear recommendations for that as well.

I am pretty much looking for a build that is mid tier and will not cause too many issues for setup. I am very open to suggestions and would love to hear your opinions/thoughts. Thanks

Do you have a compatible motherboard for your 6600K?

The RX 560 (except XFX) is natively supported on Mojave.

Choice of power supply and CPU cooler is up to you, as long as the system can power up it is fine.

Do you have a compatible motherboard for your 6600K?

The RX 560 (except XFX) is natively supported on Mojave.

Choice of power supply and CPU cooler is up to you, as long as the system can power up it is fine.
Actually i don't have a mobo for it. Is there a list of compatible parts for mojave? If so would you mind sharing a link? I haven't been able to find it if there is one. Thanks for the reply!

Actually i don't have a mobo for it. Is there a list of compatible parts for mojave? If so would you mind sharing a link? I haven't been able to find it if there is one. Thanks for the reply!

You don't have a motherboard? Now that can be a problem. The 6600K is not compatible with the current 300 series motherboards based on the Z370 / Z390 / H370 / B365 / B360 / H310 chipsets. It requires the older 100 or 200 series motherboards, which supposedly have been phased out.

For a series of compatible 200 series motherboards see here :

100 series motherboards see here :

But beware, many of them may no longer be available new.

You don't have a motherboard? Now that can be a problem. The 6600K is not compatible with the current 300 series motherboards based on the Z370 / Z390 / H370 / B365 / B360 / H310 chipsets. It requires the older 100 or 200 series motherboards, which supposedly have been phased out.

For a series of compatible 200 series motherboards see here :

100 series motherboards see here :

But beware, many of them may no longer be available new.
I will see about getting one of those boards although depending on pricing I might just get something newer if its not too much of a price difference. Thanks so much for the help.

Check out my secondary system build in my signature below. It is pretty easy to find this motherboard, or one of the other Gigabyte Z270X variants, cheaply on ebay, craigslist etc and they are also still available "new" from old stock. I am running the latest release of Mojave and it works very well. I added a Fenvi T919 card to give me WiFi and Bluetooth. I did not have to do anything other than plug it in to have it work seamlessly. I eventually removed this card because the one I had shipped new with two faulty antennas and I now use a $5 Bluetooth dongle.

Using this motherboard you do not need to add a graphics card for general use as the built in HDMI work well with a 4K monitor. The only thing I needed to do to get the graphics to work correctly with the CPU's integrated graphics controller (HD 530) was to set the platform ID in config.plist using clover.

I have also tested it with a RX580 graphics card and it was seamlessly discovered and worked well.

By way of contrast, my primary system, based on the ASRock Z390, has been a lot of work and frustration to get it running and to keep it running after updates.

Check out my secondary system build in my signature below. It is pretty easy to find this motherboard, or one of the other Gigabyte Z270X variants, cheaply on ebay, craigslist etc and they are also still available "new" from old stock. I am running the latest release of Mojave and it works very well. I added a Fenvi T919 card to give me WiFi and Bluetooth. I did not have to do anything other than plug it in to have it work seamlessly. I eventually removed this card because the one I had shipped new with two faulty antennas and I now use a $5 Bluetooth dongle.

Using this motherboard you do not need to add a graphics card for general use as the built in HDMI work well with a 4K monitor. The only thing I needed to do to get the graphics to work correctly with the CPU's integrated graphics controller (HD 530) was to set the platform ID in config.plist using clover.

I have also tested it with a RX580 graphics card and it was seamlessly discovered and worked well.

By way of contrast, my primary system, based on the ASRock Z390, has been a lot of work and frustration to get it running and to keep it running after updates.
Well I bought that mobo on amazon just now so it better work lol. I'll definitely be doing that fenvi since it sounds like a breeze to install. I plan on doing some gaming in 2k so I'll probably still end up throwing in a graphics card, maybe an rx 570 just because I feel like I might thank myself for the higher frame rate later on. Thanks for all the help. Its made this build much less stressful to think about.

One last question. You say that your system has been frustrating to keep running after updates. With the simple build I'm doing that seems to have mostly compatible parts as far as I know, would that be as much of a problem?

Well I bought that mobo on amazon just now so it better work lol. I'll definitely be doing that fenvi since it sounds like a breeze to install. I plan on doing some gaming in 2k so I'll probably still end up throwing in a graphics card, maybe an rx 570 just because I feel like I might thank myself for the higher frame rate later on. Thanks for all the help. Its made this build much less stressful to think about.

One last question. You say that your system has been frustrating to keep running after updates. With the simple build I'm doing that seems to have mostly compatible parts as far as I know, would that be as much of a problem?

My problem keeping the system ASRock build running was, in hindsight, always BIOS related. I wanted the improvements other BIOS version supposedly introduced for NVMe support and memory compatibility and the microcode upgrades for the CPU to address both compatibility reason and address CPU security.

My secondary system was seamless with one exception. It did not correctly identify the amount of memory available to the embedded HD530 video controller until I added the correct platform ID into the Devices section of clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back