GTX 780 Ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello Everyone!
I'm planning to build a PC/Hackintosh to Play High quality video games on my PC window7 mode and High quality Editing with FinalCut Studio on my OSX SL Hackintosh Mode.

I've done some research on the components I need for the PC gaming I want to do, but I'm unsure if it will work with Mac OSX SL. Operating system.

Please let me know if this Build would run OSX SL and Windows7!
Thanks!

Components:

1. Colossus Tower Case

2. CPU: Intel i7
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

3. DDR3 8GB 1600MHz DUAL VE
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820231468

4. 120GB SANDISK EXTREM SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... D=21664674

5. ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_ ... 8Z77V_PRO/

6. ASUS GTX560Ti OC 1GB
http://www.frys.com/product/6519023

7. NZXT Hale82 750w

8. LG Blu Ray Dis Combo

9. TP-LINK WDN4800 PCI ADPT

This is all. =)
Im new to forums and Im new to this site. I hope this works, if Not please let me know what I could use instead to make it work. Thanks!

I know You cannot stack up GPU on OSX SL when building a Hackintosh, but lets say I want to use a different GPU for my Windows 7 than my OSX SL, can I do that?
Can I install 2 different GPU for 2 different OS?
Thanks!

youve got a 1366 socket CPU with a 1155 socket MOBO..
you might want to go with the 1155 Sandy or Ivy Bridge i7/5 cpu.....

as far as 2 video cards, youll only be able to take advantage of SLI/Crossfire in Windows...

You can have 2 cards in OsX but will not be able to take full advantage....

I thought Intel i7 is 1155 socket and my mother board is for 1155 socket?

Also, I can't have one GPU for Windows7 only and another one specificly for my OSX SL?

the i7 type CPU has different sockets types...each type has its pros/cons and can be geared for different applications... Older i7s have lower clock speeds, and higher power consumptions... the newer ones have higher clock rates (frequency) and lower power consumptions and also take advantage of integrated (in CPU) graphics...such as HD3000 (Sandy) and HD4000 (Ivy)...

For the motherboard you have selected you need the 1155 type socket CPU....

make sure that when you buy your CPU you pick the right socket CPU for the right socket MOBO.... in newegg...itll tell you what type of socket you have under the details tab

another important factor when selecting the mobo is making sure you have a chipset which has an established/tested DSDT.... by chipset i mean the Z77, Z68, X58...etc... that way itll be easier when installing OsX and getting the right kexts (drivers) for your USB...Audio...etc... the board you have selected is the Z77...which from my understanding you wont need a dsdt...(not sure on this one as i have a GA-Z77 bd and didnt have to use a dsdt)

as for the video card...each OS will pick up both video cards.....well at least windows will, so you'll have to install drivers and configure them...in OsX you'll have to install the kexts/support for them... make sure you pick a vid card that is compatible with OsX(all Radeon HD 7xxx are not yet/ or may not be compatible in the future)
tonys buyers guide will give you a list of compatible vid cards...the 560ti you have selected is a good choice..

Farbod said:
I know You cannot stack up GPU on OSX SL when building a Hackintosh, but lets say I want to use a different GPU for my Windows 7 than my OSX SL, can I do that?
Can I install 2 different GPU for 2 different OS?
Thanks!

As far as I know, you can't do this.

And chingon is correct, your processor doesn't match your motherboard. You should buy something like an i5-3570K instead. Even though the i5-3570K is only an i5 processor, it's from the newer Ivy Bridge generation, so it will outperform that i7-960 by a lot.

Also, keep in mind that if you want to install Mac OS X on a computer with an Ivy Bridge processor, you'll have to have access to a real Mac or an additional Hackintosh beforehand. This is because Unibeast (the app we use to set up the Mac OS X Lion installer for PCs) is a Mac app.

In the past, you could circumvent this requirement by installing Snow Leopard on your PC first, and then just running Unibeast from there. However, Snow Leopard doesn't support Ivy Bridge.

chingon said:
the i7 type CPU has different sockets types...each type has its pros/cons and can be geared for different applications... Older i7s have lower clock speeds, and higher power consumptions... the newer ones have higher clock rates (frequency) and lower power consumptions and also take advantage of integrated (in CPU) graphics...such as HD3000 (Sandy) and HD4000 (Ivy)...

For the motherboard you have selected you need the 1155 type socket CPU....

make sure that when you buy your CPU you pick the right socket CPU for the right socket MOBO.... in newegg...itll tell you what type of socket you have under the details tab

another important factor when selecting the mobo is making sure you have a chipset which has an established/tested DSDT.... by chipset i mean the Z77, Z68, X58...etc... that way itll be easier when installing OsX and getting the right kexts (drivers) for your USB...Audio...etc... the board you have selected is the Z77...which from my understanding you wont need a dsdt...(not sure on this one as i have a GA-Z77 bd and didnt have to use a dsdt)

as for the video card...each OS will pick up both video cards.....well at least windows will, so you'll have to install drivers and configure them...in OsX you'll have to install the kexts/support for them... make sure you pick a vid card that is compatible with OsX(all Radeon HD 7xxx are not yet/ or may not be compatible in the future)
tonys buyers guide will give you a list of compatible vid cards...the 560ti you have selected is a good choice..

Okie let me see if I got this down correctly:

1. Get an Intel i7 CPU with an 1155 socket to match the Motherboard's socket

2. The Mother Board is a Z77 so there is a possability im good without the Chipset you mentioned

3. MY GPU is perfectly fine.

4. Both OS, Windows7 and OSX SL, will recognize Both of my GPUs that are installed.
Even though my current GPU I chose that works for OSX SL and WIndows7, If I ever decide to use another GPU, make sure my other GPU works for OSX SL.

Did I get it down right? Am I good to go?

I have just Updated my Intel i7 CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115070

How is this? They are both 1155 socket fit now.
Is this all I need?
And again, is my GPU, Motherboard, RAM, and CPU good?
if so I think im going to purchase those components soon then. =) thanks!

1. Get an Intel i7 CPU with an 1155 socket to match the Motherboard's socket. Yes..Very important, if not youll have to either send back the CPU or the MOBO. They have to match

2. The Mother Board is a Z77 so there is a possability im good without the Chipset you mentioned.Z77 chipset on the mobo you have selected will work great, im runnin Z77 on a gigabyte board

3. MY GPU is perfectly fine. correct

4. Both OS, Windows7 and OSX SL, will recognize Both of my GPUs that are installed.
Even though my current GPU I chose that works for OSX SL and WIndows7, If I ever decide to use another GPU, make sure my other GPU works for OSX SL.if you buy one at first, yeah both operating systems will recognize it. if you ever add another GPU (same one) you will ONLY be able to use the SLI/Crossfire setup within Windows, no support for that in OsX (yet)

Did I get it down right? Am I good to go? you should be good to go, if you have any questions ask away..

chingon said:
1. Get an Intel i7 CPU with an 1155 socket to match the Motherboard's socket. Yes..Very important, if not youll have to either send back the CPU or the MOBO. They have to match

2. The Mother Board is a Z77 so there is a possability im good without the Chipset you mentioned.Z77 chipset on the mobo you have selected will work great, im runnin Z77 on a gigabyte board

3. MY GPU is perfectly fine. correct

Even though my current GPU I chose that works for OSX SL and WIndows7, If I ever decide to use another GPU, make sure my other GPU works for OSX SL.if you buy one at first, yeah both operating systems will recognize it. if you ever add another GPU (same one) you will ONLY be able to use the SLI/Crossfire setup within Windows, no support for that in OsX (yet)

Did I get it down right? Am I good to go? you should be good to go, if you have any questions ask away..

You are indeed the greatest person alive in the universe!
Thanks!! =)

Now I sound like a geek! @.@... gosh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back