New to Hackingtosh Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
CPU
Mac Mini (LATE 2012)
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
Hello:

Im new to computer building and Im currently buying components for a Hackingtosh build following the guides from the site for a MacPro.
Im wondering if the Corsair Carbide Series 500R MID tower Case works for this type of build. Im looking for a case that has bays for installing additional volumes if necessary.

Thanks.

Hello:

Im new to computer building and Im currently buying components for a Hackingtosh build following the guides from the site for a MacPro.
Im wondering if the Corsair Carbide Series 500R MID tower Case works for this type of build. Im looking for a case that has bays for installing additional volumes if necessary.

Thanks.
Just about any case will work - I have seen one made of Leggo(TM) blocks.
If your board, CPU cooler, power supply, GPU and drives will fit in the case, the case will work.
An ATX case will generally work with ATX, mATX and mITX boards.

Hello:

Thanks.
Try looking at some Youtube videos about the 500R and see if you can find some that include it in a PC build. That will give you a good idea of what will work in one.

Just about any case will work - I have seen one made of Leggo(TM) blocks.
If your board, CPU cooler, power supply, GPU and drives will fit in the case, the case will work.
An ATX case will generally work with ATX, mATX and mITX boards.
Thanx for the advise I really appreciated.

Try looking at some Youtube videos about the 500R and see if you can find some that include it in a PC build. That will give you a good idea of what will work in one.
Thank you.

Depends on how you want the drives mounted. For example, the Antec 300 has the drives mounted long wise so that the front fans blow along the length of the disk drives and the Antec 302 has the drives mounted short wise so that the front fans blow along the shorter width of the disk drives. In the Antec 300 the SATA cables are connected from the back, on the Antec 302 the SATA cables are connected from the side. Both cases use quick connect drive rails.

The Corsair Carbide Series 500R MID definitely appeals to me. I love being able to install a 140mm fan in the rear, two in the front and two on top. I love the wire mesh front cover for unrestricted air flow. I love the harness access hole locations and sizes. But I would replace every fan with Noctua fans for max low noise.

With so many exposed vents, it's not surprising the 500R is somewhat louder than most cases, but it wouldn't be so bad if the fans had better acoustics. None of them sound particularly good, and the side fan produces an annoying high-pitched buzzing throughout its range. Tragically, the most effective fan is also the most annoying. Furthermore, it's also the most difficult to replace as 200 mm fans aren't cheap or plentiful. Hard drive mounting also needs to be more secure as the trays and cages fit against one another too loosely, resulting in unpleasant vibration-induced noise that require some fiddling to subdue.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/Corsair_Carbide_500R

It's the drive trays that would bother me. It's why I chose the Antec 302 case.

If you do not want to spend over $100 on Noctua fans, the very least you should do is to install fan anti-vibration damper feet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=anti+vibration&Submit=ENE&Page=1

Good site for making a quieter PC: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article26-page1.html

Last edited:
Depends on how you want the drives mounted. For example, the Antec 300 has the drives mounted long wise so that the front fans blow along the length of the disk drives and the Antec 302 has the drives mounted short wise so that the front fans blow along the shorter width of the disk drives. In the Antec 300 the SATA cables are connected from the back, on the Antec 302 the SATA cables are connected from the side. Both cases use quick connect drive rails.

The Corsair Carbide Series 500R MID definitely appeals to me. I love being able to install a 140mm fan in the rear, two in the front and two on top. I love the wire mesh front cover for unrestricted air flow. I love the hardness access hole locations and sizes. But I would replace every fan with Noctua fans for max low noise.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/Corsair_Carbide_500R

It's the drive trays that would bother me. It's why I chose the Antec 302 case.

If you do not want to spend over $100 on Noctua fans, the very least you should do is to install fan anti-vibration damper feet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=anti+vibration&Submit=ENE&Page=1

Good site for making a quieter PC: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article26-page1.html
Thanks for the reply. I'm still looking into cases for the build, my main priority for rhe case is space and ventilation because I live in Puerto Rico and we don't run 24 hrs air conditioning on houses due the high price of electricity at the present time. I'm willing to look at other cases or replacement fans.

I will take into consideration your advice. Thank you very much for the reply.

Boriqua, I feel for you. Hopefully you will be able to get the case shipped for less than what you're likely to find at an electronics store (if you can find them at all.) I know the prices are high on the Island and you have over 10% sale tax rates.

I would look at micro-ATX mobos with 4 mem slots so that I could get a nice midi or micro-atx case. In a pinch a two mem slot mobo could work, provided that you install 16GB of RAM because you're not going to want to upgrade too often, although RAM shipping charges should be minimal from the States.

I paid $50 for my Antec 302 when it was on sale at Fry Electronics. But, then again, I paid $75 for a Noctua heat sink and over $80 for case fans. The bigger the fans the more air it can move, the quieter it should be. So, just buying a case that has a 220mm top exhaust fan should help. You would probably only need a front 120mm, or 140mm, fan for every two hard disk drives.

The Fractal Design Arc Midi has plenty of side mounted HDD bays, along with just two 5.0" front bays. (I think 2 is more than enough, 3 is acceptable, 4 is un-necessary. ymmv.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arc-midi-r2-case-review,3562-2.html

But, again, it's all about price. And in the case of computer cases, when function trumps form, the lower the better. The last thing you want is to ship a heavy case overseas, UPS charges could be astronomical.

Also look at the AeroCool cases, like the AeroCool-800 and AeroCool-1000.

Last edited:
Boriqua, I feel for you. Hopefully you will be able to get the case shipped for less than what you're likely to find at an electronics store (if you can find them at all.) I know the prices are high on the Island and you have over 10% sale tax rates.

I would look at micro-ATX mobos with 4 mem slots so that I could get a nice midi or micro-atx case. In a pinch a two mem slot mobo could work, provided that you install 16GB of RAM because you're not going to want to upgrade too often, although RAM shipping charges should be minimal from the States.

I paid $50 for my Antec 302 when it was on sale at Fry Electronics. But, then again, I paid $75 for a Noctua heat sink and over $80 for case fans. The bigger the fans the more air it can move, the quieter it should be. So, just buying a case that has a 220mm top exhaust fan should help. You would probably only need a front 120mm, or 140mm, fan for every two hard disk drives.

The Fractal Design Arc Midi has plenty of side mounted HDD bays, along with just two 5.0" front bays. (I think 2 is more than enough, 3 is acceptable, 4 is un-necessary. ymmv.)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arc-midi-r2-case-review,3562-2.html

But, again, it's all about price. And in the case of computer cases, when function trumps form, the lower the better. The last thing you want is to ship a heavy case overseas, UPS charges could be astronomical.

Also look at the AeroCool cases, like the AeroCool-800 and AeroCool-1000.
Thank you for the reply. Fortunetly I'm buying everything through Amazon that ships to PR with no problem. I'll definitly look at the case you mention, Im planning to use a gigabyte MB as the guide on the site suggested and a water cooler. I have to compare if both of this components fit without any problems in the suggested case.

Really appreciate the help. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back