NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello Everyone!

As the title suggests I have never done anything like this before. This will be my first build. I've decided to just go ahead and follow the CustoMac 2012 Pro build to make the process as smooth as possible. But before I do I have a few questions:

• The GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, seems to have great reviews and the Thunderbolt included is a big plus. However, everyone seems to be reporting that the Bluetooth is null. Has anyone resolved this? Are other options in regards to getting the build Bluetooth enabled?

• I'm planning to use the Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler to keep the 3770k nice and frosty. Will this change my power requirements? Will I have to go for more wattage?

• Lastly, any comments or suggestions for a newbie? Seriously anything you can tell me that you will think will help will be greatly appreciated and heeded.

Thanks everybody looking forward to joining the world of Hackingtosh(ing)

...The GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, seems to have great reviews and the Thunderbolt included is a big plus. However, everyone seems to be reporting that the Bluetooth is null. [/COLOR][/FONT]Has anyone resolved this? Are other options in regards to getting the build Bluetooth enabled?
The UP5 TH doesn't :oops: does have Bluetooth, but it doesn't work with OS X. You'll need a USB BT dongle, such as the Targus ACB10US.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K6RK0/

(Note: I forgot about the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH comes with the a WiFi/BT card; never took mine out of the box as I knew it won' work and forgot about it - happens as you get older. :p )

...I'm planning to use the Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler to keep the 3770k nice and frosty. Will this change my power requirements? Will I have to go for more wattage?
Check Corsair's website for the power requirement and use a PSU calculator to add it in with the rest of your components.

Other advice? Read the Golden and User Builds to see what other successful owners of the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH motherboard and 3770K have done.

• I'm planning to use the Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler to keep the 3770k nice and frosty. Will this change my power requirements? Will I have to go for more wattage?
No, the water cooling will not increase you power requirements (at least not by enough to matter). But if you want to overclock a lot, it might.

The GA-Z77X-UP5-TH, seems to have great reviews and the Thunderbolt included is a big plus.
I love this motherboard. Here's a really good setup guide and thread about the board. You can find the same guide at hacksbyalfa.com.

The UP5 TH doesn't :oops: does have Bluetooth, but it doesn't work with OS X. You'll need a USB BT dongle, such as the Targus ACB10US.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002K6RK0/

(Note: I forgot about the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH comes with the a WiFi/BT card; never took mine out of the box as I knew it won' work and forgot about it - happens as you get older. :p )
The GA-Z77X-UP5 TH does have a Wi-fi/Bluetooth expansion card, but the last I read, it doesn't work. I used the Targus Bluetooth dongle from the Customac list, and it works fine except for wake from sleep.

I'm planning to use the Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler to keep the 3770k nice and frosty.
I really like the idea of the Corsair Hydro series, but I cannot recommend them. After returning two H80s, I suspect that they have serious build quality issues. The first one had leaked in the box long enough before I even received it that the screws were corroding. The second one worked for under thirty seconds after I installed it, and then the fan controller blew and took one of the fans with it (and yes, I was wearing a stat strap). In addition to my anecdotal evidence, the Hydro series' reviews on Amazon and Newegg are a mixed bag of five stars and one stars -they seem to just work or fail spectacularly. Even though professional reviews of the Antec Kuhler H2O series aren't as good as those for the Corsair Hydro series, I'm going to give one a try next time. For now, I put an air cooler back in my hack.

I really like the idea of the Corsair Hydro series, but I cannot recommend them. After returning two H80s, I suspect that they have serious build quality issues. The first one had leaked in the box long enough before I even received it that the screws were corroding. The second one worked for under thirty seconds after I installed it, and then the fan controller blew and took one of the fans with it (and yes, I was wearing a stat strap). In addition to my anecdotal evidence, the Hydro series' reviews on Amazon and Newegg are a mixed bag of five stars and one stars -they seem to just work or fail spectacularly. Even though professional reviews of the Antec Kuhler H2O series aren't as good as those for the Corsair Hydro series, I'm going to give one a try next time. For now, I put an air cooler back in my hack.
Just FYI, The Corsair Hydros, Antec Kühler and Thermaltake Water 2.0 series are all made by the same third-party company*, and are essentially the same package with different labels on, plus the hoses are different. But it does sound like you have had some really bad luck. Let's hope my Antec doesn't fail on me like that. :)

* With the exception of a couple of models (including H100 I think), which is made by another third party as far as I know.

The main advice I would give is to read and read and read. Most problems you will encounter have a solution somewhere. If you're following a build already documented and you run into a problem that you're sure hasn't been documented yet, post about it in that build's thread. If you solve something or find an extra piece of advice for people doing similar builds, post it!

Bluetooth dongles will generally work out the box.

My Antek Kuhler H20 620 is working just fine, my build is mostly like BitterMelon's :)

Good luck with the build.

Just FYI, The Corsair Hydros, Antec Kühler and Thermaltake Water 2.0 series are all made by the same third-party company*, and are essentially the same package with different labels on, plus the hoses are different. But it does sound like you have had some really bad luck. Let's hope my Antec doesn't fail on me like that. :)

* With the exception of a couple of models (including H100 I think), which is made by another third party as far as I know.

That's good to know. I knew the Corsairs were made by a third-party, but I didn't know about the Antecs. I've read that the hoses on the Antecs a quite a bit better, and leaking is my main concern after receiving one that was leaking in the box. I even thought about putting some liquid gasket around the seals on my second unit, and might just do that if I try a third unit.

Thanks Everyone!

I can not wait to get the ball rolling on this. So glad that this site and the people on it exist! So helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back