Contribute
Register

[NEW / TESTING] Intel 7th Generation Kaby Lake CPUs + 200 Series Motherboards in macOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for your answers!
@Xanny : I also found it was Soundblaster 3D but since i was looking for a Realtek driver, I didnt think it was right. I discovered it wasn't easy to make audio work with this one though. VoodooHDA driver seems to be working for some people. I'll give it a try.

@stork6220 Thank you for your advice. I'm also considering exchanging the Z270 for a Z170, not because of the performance difference between the two but because it seems "easier" in terms of compatibility. I'll go pick up the rest of the pieces tomorrow. Will keep you informed in case of success...and probably in case of failure too :rolleyes:
In your shoes, i'd choose Z270 because probably also next generation of processors could be compatible with them, but i'd just change motherboard with a more standard one like mine or the one you like but with normal ALC sound.
Z170 or Z270 it's a matter of weeks to gain full compatibility as previous version.

In your shoes, i'd choose Z270 because probably also next generation of processors could be compatible with them, but i'd just change motherboard with a more standard one like mine or the one you like but with normal ALC sound.
Z170 or Z270 it's a matter of weeks to gain full compatibility as previous version.
I also would like to keep a Z270. Which one would you recommend, with normal ALC sound? Would it be that difficult to get audio to work with this Gigabyte Z270x?

I also would like to keep a Z270. Which one would you recommend, with normal ALC sound? Would it be that difficult to get audio to work with this Gigabyte Z270x?
Yes probably it's a little bit harder to get audio working. So i think you should choose a motherboard with ALC 1220, which one? Dunno it's your choice ;)

Thanks @Xanny. I was considering the Gigabyte Z270X-GAMING 5 (audio codec is ALC 1220) or the Z270X-GAMING SOC (same thing but more expensive for some reason). I cannot find any review of this MB btw. I'm looking at mid-high-end MB because i need 4K at 60Hz for video editing.

I was looking into the AppleALC supported codecs, and discovered that the Creative CA0132 is actually supported. (the Creative Sound Core 3D of the GAMING-7)
https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

Does it mean it is NOW supported? @IslandSurfCat apparently managed to use it with the help of this kext:

1. Copy the latest Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other
2. Add the HDAS patch in DSDT using CloverConfigurator
3. Change audio inject ID from 1 to 11

Sorry to insist but I'm going to the store tomorrow morning to get the rest of the build and I'm hesitating a lot about what to do with the MB.

Thanks a lot for your help

Thanks @Xanny. I was considering the Gigabyte Z270X-GAMING 5 (audio codec is ALC 1220) or the Z270X-GAMING SOC (same thing but more expensive for some reason). I cannot find any review of this MB btw. I'm looking at mid-high-end MB because i need 4K at 60Hz for video editing.

I was looking into the AppleALC supported codecs, and discovered that the Creative CA0132 is actually supported. (the Creative Sound Core 3D of the GAMING-7)
https://github.com/vit9696/AppleALC/wiki/Supported-codecs

Does it mean it is NOW supported? @IslandSurfCat apparently managed to use it with the help of this kext:

1. Copy the latest Lilu.kext and AppleALC.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/Other
2. Add the HDAS patch in DSDT using CloverConfigurator
3. Change audio inject ID from 1 to 11

Sorry to insist but I'm going to the store tomorrow morning to get the rest of the build and I'm hesitating a lot about what to do with the MB.

Thanks a lot for your help
Do not worry, I understand you. If Apple ALC has support for Creative 3d it's OK.

Anyway, I do a lot of video editing (professional), and the motherboard is the less important part of it. Titan Nvidia card or better, memory and storage are the keys. I hope you'll not try video editing 4k with integrated graphics...

If some users here has experience with creative 3d drivers, I hope can help you better.
I normally buy the motherboard with standard and well known hardware and everything goes smooth without any problem from the start.

Hey all!

Happy to say that with about 1 hour of actual effort (not including prior research, which took a while) - I'm running with 100% no problems (including full power management - no SSDT required): sleep, wake from sleep, graphics, USB 3.0, night shift, etc.

Best hack ever :D

Last edited:
Happy to say that with about 1 hour of actual effort (not including prior research, which took a while) - I'm running with 100% no problems (including full power management): sleep, wake from sleep, graphics, USB 3.0, night shift, etc.
Awesome. Congrats! Is the info on the profile to the left your complete configuration?

Awesome. Congrats! Is the info on the profile to the left your complete configuration?

Yes, complete config. btw: I've got one of the I7s that will work with zero stability issues at 5GHz. Pointless for my needs - but, nice to know I have breathing room in the future if needed. ASUS makes Kaby Lake OC fairly simple.

Screenshot 2017-05-08 16.08.26.png
Screenshot 2017-05-08 16.11.11.png
Screenshot 2017-05-08 16.23.42.png

Last edited:
Nice one @zhuangzi. I managed to go through the installation, but once I finished the post-installation with MultiBeast, the machine kept restarting after the apple logo. I followed this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-on-200-series-kabylake-processor.218494/

Could you send your clover files and config to compare what I did wrong? I launched a new install and would like to do it right this time. Thank you in advance

I have a i7 7700K with Z270 GA GAMING-7 and GA Aorus 1080 Ti. It's the first time I even put together a PC so I was already quite happy to have been able to complete the mount.

Nice one @zhuangzi. I managed to go through the installation, but once I finished the post-installation with MultiBeast, the machine kept restarting after the apple logo. I followed this guide:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...erra-on-200-series-kabylake-processor.218494/

Could you send your clover files and config to compare what I did wrong? I launched a new install and would like to do it right this time. Thank you in advance

I have a i7 7700K with Z270 GA GAMING-7 and GA Aorus 1080 Ti. It's the first time I even put together a PC so I was already quite happy to have been able to complete the mount.

I've got the K7 version of your board (2 Ethernet ports but no Thunderbolt - although, it does appear to have a header for it) along with a Gigabyte 3GB 1060 video card. I managed to get the UniBeast v7.1 installer to run on my second try and even managed to successfully install 10.12.4 but at 800x600 res on a 4K Acer monitor. I didn't realize that I had mistakenly included the CSMVideoDXE-64 EFI file in my Clover setup at the time, and, so, I tried something else that I thought would fix the video resolution. This made the USB stick unbootable and nothing I tried after that to get it back to the bootable state I had worked - even after 3 tries at wiping and redoing the UniBeast procedure. When I get home tonight, I'll have to upload my EFI directory and see if @RehabMan or even @tonymacx86 can shred it to pieces... err, I mean correct it.

UPDATE: Finally got around to zipping my Clover folder. It starts to boot but stops loading with an abnormal exit 1 error, though.

Attachments

• CLOVER (Superbogey).zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back