Contribute
Register

New system: Mojave Unibeast failed installation (please help?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU
i3-8100
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Hello,

I’m having the same problem as in this thread, but switching to APFS only changed the installation screen to say 13 mins vice 15. I can’t get past the installation to setup or desktop.

At the clover menu I select “Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave.” At disk utility I erase my internal SSD, rename to Mojave, selecting GUID Partition Map and APFS (I’d like to do APFS encrypted but I’m omitting that at the moment to reduce variables).

I proceed with the installation which leads to a reboot and takes me to the clover menu with options: External, APFS Preboot, and APFS “Boot macOS Install from Mojave”. Selecting the last option leads me through two apple loading screens, then to a screen that says “Installing on “Mojave” about 13 minutes remaining.” After about 10 seconds my screen goes black, and then the system reboots and I’m back to clover again. The behavior is the same each time I select the APFS Mojave option.

*build details (also in account details)*
*all selected from recommended list*
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16
SSD: Samsung Evo 1TB
Network card: TP-Link Archer T9E
USB drive (unibeast): Samsung MUF-32AB/AM FIT Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
Note: neither my mobo nor my case have any USB 2 ports

*bios settings*
  1. Load Optimized Defaults
  2. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
  3. (Skipped - could not find) If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
  4. (Skipped - hidden unless you disable CSM Support. Doing this step doesn’t fix the problem.) If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
  5. Set OS Type to Other OS
  6. If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
  7. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
  8. (Skipped) If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
*Unibeast details*
Unibeast 9.2 installed on USB using guide. Yes, I installed on the parent drive name after “view all devices” in Disk Utility.
Multibeast 11.2 copied to Install Mojave USB

I included a few pictures of my screen from verbose output. Is there a log file I can access to copy the full output?

I reposted this.

Attachments

• 6C43FB97-73E7-4071-830F-BBF1106833D0.jpeg
    6C43FB97-73E7-4071-830F-BBF1106833D0.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 165
  • DB33EB58-2B1E-4131-B906-5971B86AC56A.jpeg
    DB33EB58-2B1E-4131-B906-5971B86AC56A.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 171
  • A7A632EA-E66A-414D-882B-8C098E931931.jpeg
    A7A632EA-E66A-414D-882B-8C098E931931.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 117
Hello,

I’m having the same problem as in this thread, but switching to APFS only changed the installation screen to say 13 mins vice 15. I can’t get past the installation to setup or desktop.

At the clover menu I select “Boot macOS Install from Install macOS Mojave.” At disk utility I erase my internal SSD, rename to Mojave, selecting GUID Partition Map and APFS (I’d like to do APFS encrypted but I’m omitting that at the moment to reduce variables).

I proceed with the installation which leads to a reboot and takes me to the clover menu with options: External, APFS Preboot, and APFS “Boot macOS Install from Mojave”. Selecting the last option leads me through two apple loading screens, then to a screen that says “Installing on “Mojave” about 13 minutes remaining.” After about 10 seconds my screen goes black, and then the system reboots and I’m back to clover again. The behavior is the same each time I select the APFS Mojave option.

*build details (also in account details)*
*all selected from recommended list*
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 UD
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16
SSD: Samsung Evo 1TB
Network card: TP-Link Archer T9E
USB drive (unibeast): Samsung MUF-32AB/AM FIT Plus 32GB - 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive
Note: neither my mobo nor my case have any USB 2 ports

*bios settings*
  1. Load Optimized Defaults
  2. If your CPU supports VT-d, disable it
  3. (Skipped - could not find) If your system has CFG-Lock, disable it
  4. (Skipped - hidden unless you disable CSM Support. Doing this step doesn’t fix the problem.) If your system has Secure Boot Mode, disable it
  5. Set OS Type to Other OS
  6. If your system has IO Serial Port, disable it
  7. Set XHCI Handoff to Enabled
  8. (Skipped) If you have a 6 series or x58 system with AWARD BIOS, disable USB 3.0
*Unibeast details*
Unibeast 9.2 installed on USB using guide. Yes, I installed on the parent drive name after “view all devices” in Disk Utility.
Multibeast 11.2 copied to Install Mojave USB

I included a few pictures of my screen from verbose output. Is there a log file I can access to copy the full output?

I reposted this.

• Upload CLOVER folder from your macOsMojave USB Installer Disk as zipped [ You may use the bulleted steps from this post: #4 ]
  • Upload your BIOS Screen Captures using steps shown at #33 to Automatically Capture and Save BIOS Screens as BMP files to a FAT32 Formatted USB Installer Disk [you can actually save that in the FAT32 formatted EFI Partition of your Mojave USB Installer Flash disk Disk as BMP files and then convert them to JPG or PNG to upload to the Forum after opening them one by one in Preview then click" File> Export as.." change File name from numbers to Real Unique Name and Format from BMP to JPEG or PNG]
  • Why should you take all these troubles?
    • For proper booting and installation of the macOS Mojave from a USB Installer to System Disk, you need a
      • genuine InstallMojave on the USB Installer[assumed to be Genuine and full and the Unibeast Method used is flawless]
      • A CLOVER FileStructure with all the needed files in CLOVER/drivers64UEFI and Drivers64 folder +CLOVER/kexts/Other, and
      • properly created config.plist that would sequentially provide to CLOVER the required kexts and patches during boot
      • Properly Edited and Saved BIOS Options INCLUDING USB, Graphics, Ethernet and Audio Devices (Integrated with the MoBo Chips) or in the add on Card for CLOVER to make use of during the boot.
  • If you don't provide them , you will get advice based on guesswork with a hit or miss result as is frequent.

Last edited:
For the first bullet I used clover configurator but my EFI partition seems to be empty.

For the first bullet I used clover configurator but my EFI partition seems to be empty.
  1. If your mounted EFI Partition from the USB Installer Flash Disk on Desktop (White icon) on clicking DOES NOT show an EFI Folder, you have not installed CLOVER EFI on that macOSMojave USB Installer.
  2. A correctly Installed macOSMojave USB Installer's EFI>EFI>CLOVER FileTree will look like the uploaded images:
  3. Based on your above post , I believe you may have to create a new macOSMojave USB Installer disk using either UniBeast or Terminal commands followed by Manual CLOVER EFI installation and editing of EFI_CLOVER FileTree including config.plist to suite your hardware specs irrespective of the method chosen to create the macOSMojave USB Installer
  4. Yo should recheck all the selected BIOS Options.
  5. BEFORE launching the created macoSMojave USB Installer, make sure its EFI_CLOVER FileTree meets all the requirements for a flawless boot and check BIOS options to assure all hardware controllers are properly selected in the Menus for CLOVER to use them during Boot.
  6. Failure to boot is mainly from problems with CLOVER or BIOS or both and the steps are often the least carefully followed by those who find boot failure.

Attachments

• 1.EFI Partition of USB Mounted.png
    1.EFI Partition of USB Mounted.png
    402.9 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.EFI>EFI.png
    2.EFI>EFI.png
    630.2 KB · Views: 163
  • 3.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    3.EFI_CLOVER FileTree.png
    311.8 KB · Views: 150
Okay so I used Unibeast again and now the EFI partition has the appropriate folders. I attached the clover folder. I used Unibeast the same way as before, so though I hadn't checked the contents with clover configurator that time I suspect it must have been there prior to attempting installation. Does this mean that the partition was deleted or damaged by my prior attempted installations?

I'll now work on the BIOS screen captures.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 108
  1. Edited and annotated Screen Captures of CLOVER-FileTree and config.plist in CCG is uploaded.
  2. if you encounter verbose boot issues during installation you may need to edit your CLOVER and config.plist . You may edit as shown in the images and save the config.plist and try rebooting to see if problem is fixed.
  3. Whether to add to EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI "EmuvariableUefi-64.efi " depends up on what happens to booting following the start of macOSMojave installation on the Hard disk. Intel 300 Series Motherboards have varying needs for CLOVER Editing in macOS Mojave and one size does not seem to fit all.
  4. Without BIOS screen shots, the above suggestions are incomplete.
Does this mean that the partition was deleted or damaged by my prior attempted installations?

• All I can say with certainty is that the EFI Partition was not created properly and EFI Folder not installed to be seen.
  • At present you have the EFI_CLOVER Tree but it may still lack some required features for a flawless boot .
    • I have shown them with annotation on screen shots.
    • How far it will affect booting depends on what your Verbose boot screen would show when you use it as is.
    • Since I don't have the same hardware I cannot test my edited CLOVER to predict the outcome in advance.
    • You use your current CLOVER unedited and if Verbose boot screen indicates problem , then consider changing it as shown in the images.

Attachments

• 2.config.plist_ACPI.png
    2.config.plist_ACPI.png
    248.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 3.Config.plist_Boot.png
    3.Config.plist_Boot.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 4.config.plist_Devices.png
    4.config.plist_Devices.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 5.config.plist_Gui.png
    5.config.plist_Gui.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 6.config.plist_Graphics.png
    6.config.plist_Graphics.png
    176.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 7.config.plist_Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    7.config.plist_Kernel and Kext Patches.png
    192.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 8.config.plist_Rt Variables.png
    8.config.plist_Rt Variables.png
    199.1 KB · Views: 111
  • 9.config.plist_SMBIOS.png
    9.config.plist_SMBIOS.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 10.System Parmeters.png
    10.System Parmeters.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1.CLOVER FileTree.png
    1.CLOVER FileTree.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Okay I have had two strange problems:
1. I cannot get the BIOS screenshots to save to my USB. I get a message that:
"
Screen Capture Status:
Screen Capture Success.
Image saved in
[Samsung Flash]:[\190420144818.BMP]
"
But when I look in the mounted USB FAT32 drive partition none of my images are anywhere to be found.

2. When I try to use the same USB that has my EFI partition and folders on it I still can't get the images to save, but when I check the EFI partition all the folders that were definitely there before I plugged it into the machine are gone.

Correction: The empty EFI partition is on InstallESD rather than Install macOS Mojave, so it's not that they're being deleted it's that I cannot seem to mount the EFI partition via Clover Configurator on Install macOS Mojave after unmounting it.

Okay I have had two strange problems:
1. I cannot get the BIOS screenshots to save to my USB. I get a message that:
"
Screen Capture Status:
Screen Capture Success.
Image saved in
[Samsung Flash]:[\190420144818.BMP]
"
But when I look in the mounted USB FAT32 drive partition none of my images are anywhere to be found.

2. When I try to use the same USB that has my EFI partition and folders on it I still can't get the images to save, but when I check the EFI partition all the folders that were definitely there before I plugged it into the machine are gone.

Correction: The empty EFI partition is on InstallESD rather than Install macOS Mojave, so it's not that they're being deleted it's that I cannot seem to mount the EFI partition via Clover Configurator on Install macOS Mojave after unmounting it.

Is your Samsung Flash drive formatted in FAT32? BIOS Images can be captured and Saved only on FAT32 Formatted External Disks.
If you save the images in your Mojave USB Installer disk that is properly created in DU with GUID+MacOS Extended (Journaled) using Erase tool, you should not have any issues to retrieve.
The DU creates an EFI Partition that is about 210MB in FAT32 at the beginning of that Disk and the remaining is formatted as HFS+J. The FAT32 Formatted EFI Partition is hidden and UniBeast can find it to direct you to install CLOVER in its EFI folder with UEFI or Legacy Boot (UEFI is preferred for all modern MoBo) and some limited Graphics configuration.
If you use Manual CLOVER you are pretty much on your own (I like the manual method as I have full control over what I want to install the way I want after I have already read my chosen Motherboard and add-on card manuals about the Chipsets in them and how it can be installed in macOS Systems)

If you have saved the images in macOS Mojave USB Installer, you have to mount the hidden EFI Partition with a Tool like CCG or EFI Mounter V3.
The images won't affect the EFI_CLOVER Folder FileTree as the images are saved at the root of EFI Partition which has a lot of free space besides having the EFI Folder which contains CLOVER folder.

Every time you eject the USB Installer or insert it again, you have to relaunch CCG and then click on "Mount EFI" > Mount Partition"
Recheck if not doing the above step is your problem with "missing BIOS Images" in macOSMojave USB Flash disk.

Attachments

• 1.macOSMojave USB Installer .png
    1.macOSMojave USB Installer .png
    22.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I have tried with two different USB drives (different makes and models), each in FAT32. I also tried using the EFI partition as you mentioned, which likewise reports properly saving the image, but which I cannot mount after dismounting.

If nothing else, I can take photos with my phone and upload that way, though I know that's not ideal.

The installer disk was erased in Disk Utility with format MacOS extended (Journaled), GUID partition map, and named USB. I then used UniBeast, following the prompts to select the drive, Mojave, and UEFI. It is created correctly and I can mount the EFI partition with Clover configurator and the boot and clover folders are there. When I eject this drive from Disk Utility the first time and reconnect it will refuse to mount from Clover Configurator -- the "Mount Partition" button depresses but does not mount the drive. Relaunching clover configurator does not fix this problem, but repeating the entire installation process does, at least until I unmount the drive again. Is it possible to mount it manually in terminal? I don't see it in the Volumes directory of course. I worry that since I cannot remount this drive when connected to my mac that it won't connect the EFI partition when connected to the Hack, and that could be the problem with the installation process. I'll reinstall and try it again without reconnecting it to my mac, and run in verbose mode. Is it possible to record output of verbose install to a file on my USB (vice, say, recording to my phone)?

By the way, aren't the specs of my computer build very similar to those of the recommended hardware? I know my motherboard and CPU are on the list, so am I missing something or shouldn't these components already be known to work with Unibeast etc?

Screenshots of usb configuration

Attachments

• bios_usb_configured.png
    bios_usb_configured.png
    175.6 KB · Views: 97
  • bios_usb_filesystem.png
    bios_usb_filesystem.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 103
  • configuring_bios_capture_usb_fat32.png
    configuring_bios_capture_usb_fat32.png
    394.7 KB · Views: 98
Status