Contribute
Register

New SSDs added to the recommended list of the Buyer's Guide

@StudioK : the TRIM bug is only with NVMe drives, and most if not all the Samsungs appear to be affected. AFAIK the SATA SSD drives have been reported to be fine.
Thanks for clarifying that.

Good to hear. Are you on Monterey ? How much space on your 1TB NVMe is used up ?
trim is default on, macOS 12.0.1 & 12.1 with OC 0.76
980.jpg
Trim.jpg

I don't have any TRIM issue with my Samsung 970 EVO PLUS. Maybe PLUS ones still works.

I don't have any TRIM issue with my Samsung 970 EVO PLUS. Maybe PLUS ones still works.

I had a 970 EVO Plus, and the boot time dramatically decreased when I switched it out for the WD SN750.

Did you perform the test as specified by Dortania? If it really concerns you, you should perform the test periodically and see if the boot times increase over time. That being said, it seems like the general consensus is that if you prefer not to change it out and you are OK with the longer boot times, you don't have to change it out. It's just that some people were reporting boot times of 5-6 minutes.

I had a 970 EVO Plus, and the boot time dramatically decreased when I switched it out for the WD SN750.

Did you perform the test as specified by Dortania? If it really concerns you, you should perform the test periodically and see if the boot times increase over time. That being said, it seems like the general consensus is that if you prefer not to change it out and you are OK with the longer boot times, you don't have to change it out. It's just that some people were reporting boot times of 5-6 minutes.
I always felt like my boot times were a bit longer than Windows. I just checked it out the boot takes less than 30 secs (27 secs at last boot) I don't feel any difference between Big Sur and Monterrey to be honest.
By the way how can I perform the test you are talking about?

I always felt like my boot times were a bit longer than Windows. I just checked it out the boot takes less than 30 secs (27 secs at last boot) I don't feel any difference between Big Sur and Monterrey to be honest.
By the way how can I perform the test you are talking about?
@oguz463

See the first post of this thread:

This is a link to the Dortania test:

Basically disable TRIM, then measure the time to boot. Then enable a "timeout" limit for the TRIM process to complete and time it. If it doesn't complete by the timeout then the boot process moves on. Then enable a maximum time limit for TRIM to complete, so the process will take as long as it takes.

Basically, if it isn't broken, the time to boot on all three should be very similar, maybe shorter when TRIM is disabled.

If it is broken, then eventually, the maximum time limit will take the longest

@oguz463
See the first post of this thread:

This is a link to the Dortania test:

Basically disable TRIM, then measure the time to boot. Then enable a "timeout" limit for the TRIM process to complete and time it. If it doesn't complete by the timeout then the boot process moves on. Then enable a maximum time limit for TRIM to complete, so the process will take as long as it takes.

Basically, if it isn't broken, the time to boot on all three should be very similar, maybe shorter when TRIM is disabled.

If it is broken, then eventually, the maximum time limit will take the longest
Thanks for the info. I just saw the issue page after I replied you and I was a little bit late to edit my previous reply. So sorry for that :)
No matter what I set between the three different values on SetApfsTrimTimeout I boot it up in 27-28 seconds. Maybe TRIM just not work on my drive.

@oguz463

Thanks for the info. I just saw the issue page after I replied you and I was a little bit late to edit my previous reply. So sorry for that :)
No matter what I set between the three different values on SetApfsTrimTimeout I boot it up in 27-28 seconds. Maybe TRIM just not work on my drive.
I wouldn't worry about it then. Some people are reporting that they boot quickly after a fresh reformat and install, then the boot times begin to increase. I would just keep an eye on it, set the boot time to max, and if it starts to lag, then maybe look into changing it if it bugs you.

Back