Contribute
Register

New SSDs added to the recommended list of the Buyer's Guide

Im using Samsung ssd 980 pci nvme m.2 1TB, boot times is with in 20sec.
Good to hear. Are you on Monterey ? How much space on your 1TB NVMe is used up ?

.... hmmm ...
I was planing to update my System with a "Samsung 980 PRO 1TB - 7000MB/s" SSD.
Will the "WD_BLACK SN850 1TB - 7000MB/s" work with TRIM in Monterey on a GA AORUS Z390 Pro ?
And by the way: will both of the SSDs reach the goal of 7000MB/s on the Z390 ChipSet ?

I am a little bit curious about this because, yes I notice slower boot times since installing Monterey but my
SystemProfiler shows TRIM support YES on both of my "970 EVO Plus" SSDs !
... so I do not really understand this ...

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-10 um 08.10.18.png

I was planing to update my System with a "Samsung 980 PRO 1TB - 7000MB/s" SSD
Why drwhy ?
If your motherboard is only PCIe 3.0 you won't even come close to 4000MB/s read speeds. It requires a PCIe 4.0 motherboard with an M.2 x4 slot to do that. The SN750 is plenty fast enough for use with the Aorus Z390 Pro.

Screen_Shot_11.jpg

Will the "WD_BLACK SN850 1TB - 7000MB/s" work with TRIM in Monterey on a GA AORUS Z390 Pro ?
Yes, you can use the SN850. It should work but has not had as much testing and verification as the SN750. Again, using a PCIe 4.0 NVMe doesn't make a lot of sense with your motherboard. Just costs more money. $55 dollars more.
I notice slower boot times since installing Monterey but my
SystemProfiler shows TRIM support YES on both of my "970 EVO Plus" SSDs !
If you re-read post #1 it tells you exactly what the problem is.
After our discovery of a severe bug in the TRIM implementation of practically all Samsung SSDs,
This means the Samsung drives do support TRIM but it doesn't work properly with macOS versions that use APFS. So you will see that it's enabled in System Info. Having it enabled slows down boot times. Those times will vary from system to system. The suggestion by vit9696 is to disable trim on Samsung drives.

Last edited:
This means the Samsung drives do support TRIM but it doesn't work properly with macOS versions that use APFS. So you will see that it's enabled in System Info. Having it enabled slows down boot times. Those times will vary from system to system. The suggestion by vit9696 is to disable trim on Samsung drives.
Does this affect the system boot time only or other processes too?

After our discovery of a severe bug in the TRIM implementation of practically all Samsung SSDs
Is this strictly to do with NVMe Samsung drives? I'm using 860 EVO SATA drive in my system. Any issues with TRIM on that model?

Is this strictly to do with NVMe Samsung drives? I'm using 860 EVO SATA drive in my system. Any issues with TRIM on that model?
@StudioK : the TRIM bug is only with NVMe drives, and most if not all the Samsungs appear to be affected. AFAIK the SATA SSD drives have been reported to be fine.

Back