Contribute
Register

New SSDs added to the recommended list of the Buyer's Guide

I wouldn't worry about it then. Some people are reporting that they boot quickly after a fresh reformat and install, then the boot times begin to increase. I would just keep an eye on it, set the boot time to max, and if it starts to lag, then maybe look into changing it if it bugs you.
I have disabled trimforce on terminal still 27-28 seconds. Probably TRIM totally is not working on my side. How's the SN750 boot-ups in seconds?
I'm thinking having one more NVMe SSD on my system. I might go with an another 970 EVO PLUS to make RAID 0, or SN 750 to install macOS on a different disk. Probably I don't think I need insane disk speeds so I think I will get a disk for macOS to install.

I have disabled trimforce on terminal still 27-28 seconds. Probably TRIM totally is not working on my side. How's the SN750 boot-ups in seconds?
I'm thinking having one more NVMe SSD on my system. I might go with an another 970 EVO PLUS to make RAID 0, or SN 750 to install macOS on a different disk. Probably I don't think I need insane disk speeds so I think I will get a disk for macOS to install.
I'm out of town, so I can't give you an immediate measurement. With the EVO, TRIM timeout set to max, it took a while, maybe a minute or so, to reach the point where my 6900 XTXH drivers would load. The GPU takes a few seconds, maybe 10 or so. Then I land in the login screen.

With the SN750, I'm not sure, but it's dramatically different until it hits the driver load step, like maybe 5 seconds?

If you're shopping for a new NVMe, I'd go with the WD personally. I'm very disappointed that the Samsungs have this problem, but I understand that they probably never intended to be formatted in APFS.

If you're shopping for a new NVMe, I'd go with the WD personally. I'm very disappointed that the Samsungs have this problem, but I understand that they probably never intended to be formatted in APFS.
Suggesting that Samsung had a lack of foresight?!? That's sure to bend a few butts!

You could test it to make sure. Scroll down on the page linked.
I have already tested. 3 scenarios perform the same on my side. (AuthRestart Enabled)
I boot in about 28 seconds. That's totally fine for me I didn't measure it but most probably it was totally the same with Big Sur.
I guess I'll go with SN750 for macOS and leave Samsung for Windows.

I have already tested. 3 scenarios perform the same on my side. (AuthRestart Enabled)
I boot in about 28 seconds. That's totally fine for me I didn't measure it but most probably it was totally the same with Big Sur.
The symptom seems to be more obvious on Monterey. I haven't read about anyone with Big Sur complaining, at least, not about the slow boot.
I guess I'll go with SN750 for macOS and leave Samsung for Windows.
A wise choice. Cheers.

The symptom seems to be more obvious on Monterey. I haven't read about anyone with Big Sur complaining, at least, not about the slow boot.

A wise choice. Cheers.
I read on forums people who upgraded from Big Sur mostly have the problem. I did a clean format and install on Samsung SSD. Like I said in my previous post I don't see much difference on booting time between two versions of macOS. But I feel booting a bit slow on macOS, always was, with Samsung of course. I get between 25-30 secs but too few people reported boot times below 20. I am really curious about the boot time with SN750. Also in the issue page I saw in comments SetApfsTrimTimeout doesn't work on Monterey, this might be why I get the same result every test case.

I read on forums people who upgraded from Big Sur mostly have the problem. I did a clean format and install on Samsung SSD. Like I said in my previous post I don't see much difference on booting time between two versions of macOS...
The slow boot will not necessarily rear it's ugly head for several weeks (maybe months). On a fresh install, booting can actually seem quite normal (whatever normal is), and some people refuse to believe a problem even exists, because they don't immediately see it. I think it's called N.I.M.B.Y. syndrome, which stands for Not In My Back Yard (If they can't see it, or understand it, it's not true).

Mostly, the slow (several minutes) boot seems to be happening in Monterey. Or, at least, I've seen little to indicate the symptom occurs in any other macOS.
... But I feel booting a bit slow on macOS, always was, with Samsung of course. I get between 25-30 secs but too few people reported boot times below 20...
I use normal SATA SSD drives (Samsung 860 EVO's), and my boot time is about the same as the 20-30 secs you mentioned. That's fine with me. It's a fantastic improvement from when I used HDDs. Even so, probably a third of that time is taken by the rEFInd and OpenCore timeouts - I chain-load OpenCore with rEFInd, which is convenient while multi-booting.
I am really curious about the boot time with SN750. Also in the issue page I saw in comments SetApfsTrimTimeout doesn't work on Monterey, this might be why I get the same result every test case.
I've only read good things about the SN750, but as always, you won't know till you try one. Cheers.

@trs96

My OS is on a Western Digital SN750, and I'm now using my old Samsung SSD 960 EVO as a scratch disk for photoshop (no storage, strictly scratch disk). Both have TRIM enabled.

Do you see any issues with that due to the 960 having TRIM issues? Should I turn off TRIM for the 960 EVO? Would I be better off swapping out the 960 EVO for a WD SN750 to use as a PS scratch disk, or is TRIM not an issue here? If all I'm doing is running the drive into the ground, I'm ok with that... Im more concerned about Photoshop lagging due to my selected scratch disk. Thanks for posting about all this, very helpful!

edit: Im on 12.1 beta 3 FYI

Do you see any issues with that due to the 960 having TRIM issues? Should I turn off TRIM for the 960 EVO? Would I be better off swapping out the 960 EVO for a WD SN750 to use as a PS scratch disk.
Should work ok as a scratch drive with TRIM enabled. You could test it on and off but it shouldn't have any affect on boot times. Keep using the Sammy till it fails as there's no long term data stored on it. You could check out the 960's health status every once in a while with the Magician software and Win10.

Back