Contribute
Register

New Radeon Pro WX 3200

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the advantages of having a Radeon Pro compared to an RX560 570 or 580?

What are the advantages of having a Radeon Pro compared to an RX560 570 or 580?

@aztlan78,

Most domestic GPU's are designed for gaming where as Workstation GPU's are designed for doing actual work.

This video gives a very good explanation of the strengths of the Radeon Pro WX 4100 Workstation GPU (the least expensive in the supported workstation class GPU range) over a Gaming based GPU such as RX 570.

Although the video does the comparisons on Windows, the same should be true for MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Curious on everyone's thoughts and opinions of this new workstation card. Around $200 and it's Polaris. Looks like something that's pretty good for Hackintosh?

@Slickademo,

I just installed a Radeon Pro WX 4100 in one of my systems (see Media Mac build in my sig) and it works very well.
Just needed to update to latest Lilu + WhatEverGreen and configure IGPU as headless.
Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 01.26.15.pngScreenshot 2019-12-03 at 01.27.49.png
If space is tight and you need a single slot, low profile AMD GPU it does the job, no compatibility issues as its natively supported and for such a small and dare I say "cute" little GPU it works surprising well.

Primary use for me is for improving video playback on my Media Mac HTPC.
It also works very well the new WhatEverGreen AMD DRM enabling feature as detailed here :-

Of course if playing triple A games is a priority (which it is not for me) then its not the card for you.
Having said that it does run basic games well, way better than the Intel IGPU.

Runs cool and the fan makes no sound so good for a HTPC which is what i'm using it for.
I was super lucky and managed to snag one for a very low price on eBay.

If you want a low power no fuss GPU for supporting basic MacOS features then I can highly recommend the WX 4100.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@aztlan78,

Most domestic GPU's are designed for gaming where as Workstation GPU's are designed for doing actual work.

This video gives a very good explanation of the strengths of the Radeon Pro WX 4100 Workstation GPU (the least expensive in the supported workstation class GPU range) over a Gaming based GPU such as RX 570.

Although the video does the comparisons on Windows, the same should be true for MacOS.

Cheers
Jay

Actually, on the Mac, everything tends to use OpenGL or Metal so the workstation cards tend to do better on the mac for gaming. I was very surprised at how well the old W7000 works on everything.

I have a laptop with wx3200 and I have made it worked by injecting it as "Radeon Pro 560"

"

@ss2sameer, I'm new on hackintosh, so could you give us more details about how you did it?
Was that some special change on config file or some different kext?

@aztlan78,

Cheers
Jay

It is not the same on Mac. There are no pro drivers vs gaming drivers issues to suffer through on the Mac side. There is no direct x support on the mac so EVERY card on the Mac is the equivalent of a professional card on Windows. An RX580 on the mac is like using an RX580 on the PC with Radeon Pro drivers instead of gaming drivers.

So that video... Means nothing to Mac OS users. In FACT, if you want a more honest comparison of video cards, it should be done on a Mac where they don't play games with the drivers. PC gaming drivers purposely "nerf" the professional graphics (openGL) so they can sell the more expensive pro cards.

Providing some first-hand experience: the Radeon Pro wx3200 is indeed not recognized in Catalina 10.15.2, and runs at the VESA fallback driver resolution of 1024x768. I was overconfident in ordering one, that surely another Polaris core would be supported (combined with the generally-good support for Radeon Pro and previous FirePro models).

Now using it on my Threadripper 3960x server instead, but learn from my misstep!

In other news, the W5500 looks like a pretty great choice (much more reasonable price of $399 MSRP while still retaining 8GB VRAM, compared to the ~$799 W5700). Note that not even 10.15.3 currently supports W5500, but it just launched today, and seems pretty likely that 10.15.4 will support it. https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...ed-as-price-conscious-alternative-mac-pro-gpu

@Slickademo,

I just installed a Radeon Pro WX 4100 in one of my systems (see Media Mac build in my sig) and it works very well.
Just needed to update to latest Lilu + WhatEverGreen and configure IGPU as headless.
View attachment 438502View attachment 438503
If space is tight and you need a single slot, low profile AMD GPU it does the job, no compatibility issues as its natively supported and for such a small and dare I say "cute" little GPU it works surprising well.

Primary use for me is for improving video playback on my Media Mac HTPC.
It also works very well the new WhatEverGreen AMD DRM enabling feature as detailed here :-

Of course if playing triple A games is a priority (which it is not for me) then its not the card for you.
Having said that it does run basic games well, way better than the Intel IGPU.

Runs cool and the fan makes no sound so good for a HTPC which is what i'm using it for.
I was super lucky and managed to snag one for a very low price on eBay.

If you want a low power no fuss GPU for supporting basic MacOS features then I can highly recommend the WX 4100.

Cheers
Jay
How did you customized your "About this mac"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back