Graphics
Radeon Sapphire 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Had a working lion hackintosh with my 6870 and upgraded and forgot to backup /Extra folder so my pre-existing .plist file is gone so I had to start from scratch.

I'm having the same problem that I had with Lion where I'm getting no graphics acceleration at all. However, with Lion, it would display Radeon 6XXX in system profiler. With ML, it's displaying Display 3 MB.

I have tried using multiple AtiConfig bootflags, including the previous working one which was Duckweed. All the framebuffers give me the same low resolution.

Strangely, when I use PCIRootUID=1 and boot verbose I get an error saying $log file is not clean yet when I use PCIRootUID=0 I have no problems.

Currently, this is my .plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>darkwake=0</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>2</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Default Partition</key>
<string>hd(0,2)</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any help is appreciated!

The sapphire 6870 has different port compared to every other brand, which cause issues... Yet, a member modified a kext, and it works fine.
What is your version of Mountain Lion ?
I was able to make the card work until 10.8.3, where the HDMI port wasn't working anymore.

If you're in Mountain Lion up to 10.8.2, here are kexts that will do the job just fine ! ;)
I even provide you my chameleon.boot.plist, you had to select the "Duckweed" framebuffer.

Don't forget to run kextwizard or any other programm doing the same job when you manually replace kext ;).

PS : I found that in 10.8.3, the system seemed to work fine with that :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Credits</key>
<string>Created with Champlist</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Quiet Boot</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseKernelCache</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>"1920x1080x32"</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Yet, I change for a GTX 660, so I didn't test any further, DVI and HDMI where working, I could even play video games, yet, while it's supposedly a proof that graphic acceleration was enabled, I found that there where some glitches here and there on the game, so I recommend you stay at 10.8.2.

Attachments

• org.chameleon.Boot.plist
    513 bytes · Views: 212
  • ATI6870 Drivers.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
I'm actually on ML 10.8.3. I was on 10.8 but had no success on that either.

I don't use the HDMI ports I use the DVI ones.

I have tried AtiConfig=Duckweed along with numerous others but they all produce the same low resolution.

There is a problem with the ATI6000Controller.kext in mountain lion as I had to manually install it after using UniBeast. This could be the source of the problem but I'm not sure.

Any other help is appreciated!

With the help of those drivers attached, I finally got my Mac to show Radeon 6XXX instead of Graphics 3 MB. However, it's very slow and glitchy.

Now my main goal is to get it to recognize it as a 6870. Duckweed framebuffer is doing absolutely nothing atm.

My next plan is to try different framebuffers.

SOLVE THE 6870 PROBLEMS IN ML... Replace the card.

I had the same problem. And all indications are that the 6870 and ML are touchy at best on your hackintosh. Flickering Flash banners, scrolling images... all of it slowing down any web activity or graphics utilization. I'm a ProTools editor on film and TV and I couldn't even play back do do my job. I had no issues in LION, by the way.

I tried a myriad of fixes and kexts and tweaks to the bios and couldn't get it to work. In the end, I looked up GPU compatibility with ML and found that for only a hundred dollars, I could replace the card with a GT 640, (this is just what I did). I just put it in this morning and BAM, everything works. No issues at all.

Save yourselves the hassle. Replace the card!

Hack on!!

i had the 6870 working great with lion

my plist had the "duckweed" flag there, and it saved me
give it a shot

<key>AtiPorts</key>
<string>4</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>

Status
Not open for further replies.