Graphics
EVGA GTX 750 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi there. I have spent a while fully customizing my potential hackintosh build. I think I have come to a final conclusion, so I decided to run it over the community. Here are the current specs of my build:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Superclocked
RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport VLP 8GB (4GBx2)
HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB 7200rpm drive
CASE: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-02
PSU: Corsair CS Series 450W ATX Modular
DVD: ASUS DRW-24F1ST
WIFI: TP-LINK TL-WN781ND

I do not plan on doing any over clocking with this build. That is why I went with an H87 board over a more expensive (I think) Z87 board. I want this build to last at least four years, and be nice and stable with Mac OS X. The only question I have about this build is weather or not I should get an H97 board or a Z97 board. I know the 9 series boards from Gigabyte are not completely supported with Mac OS X, but I was wondering how usable they are with OS X.

I am willing to change any of the parts for something with more bang for buck, or better reliability. Keep in mind; however, my budget is preferably under $800.

This build should be fine providing the GA-H87M-D3H supports the 4690... There is no advantage or reason whatsoever to move to a H97 or Z97 board unless you enjoy pain, grief, or maybe bragging rights that it partially works... ;) There would be a huge performance increase if your budget allows you to add an SSD as a boot drive.

This build should be fine providing the GA-H87M-D3H supports the 4690... There is no advantage or reason whatsoever to move to a H97 or Z97 board unless you enjoy pain, grief, or maybe bragging rights that it partially works... ;) There would be a huge performance increase if your budget allows you to add an SSD as a boot drive.
Thanks man. Why would I have a reason to believe the GA-H87M-D3H does not support the 4690? I know that some H87 and Z87 motherboards have to have a bios update in order for the cpus to work, but what 8 series board would work without a bios update? The main reason I even considered a 9 series motherboard was so that I would not have to have a bios update...

If it's too much bother to verify with the manufacture that the cpu is supported, then by all means, carry on...

I checked on Gigabyte's website and it looks like my CPU is supported. Link: http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4492

One more question though. My case come with 2 Corsair fans and I was wondering if I should upgrade them or add more for better cooling. If so what would you recommend?

You're not over-clocking so 2 case fans should be fine. If you wanted to try and limit dust build up you could go for another fan as intake and create positive air flow. I'll let you do you're on research on whether you think this is important/makes a sizeable difference to be worth it.

There's a wide range of different fans for all your aesthetic and noise reducing desires. If silence is you're main aim, then something from Noctua would be a good shout, or the noise blocker series. Its more of a personal judgement about what you consider acceptable. Also, as a rule of thumb, always try and go for the biggest case fans you case supports. A 140mm will be able to run slower and therefore quieter than a 120mm, while pushing the same amount of air through.

Personally I have the AF and SP series from Corsair. I find the noise level to be decent, and like the added splash of colour from the rings.

Placement is also another factor. Generally the consensus is to have air come in from the front/bottom and exhaust out the rear/top.

Hope that helps :thumbup:

Hi, have you been successful with your build?
Last week I bought the same CPU, Motherboard and PSU as you listed, but I had to return the MOBO for the second time already since they appeared to be dead on arrival. I couldn't even make the MOBO beep. The fans would start spinning, then stop after one or two seconds, then start again, stop and so on. I tried it with a different PSU, even without RAM to get a missing RAM beep at least. Nothing. Now the MOBO with installed CPU, and RAM will be checked by the shop I bought the stuff from (They had the nerve to request 10 Euros for that, but I talked them out of it).

Now that I had this experience and read about all the freezing problems with 8 series Gigabyte MOBOs, I'm starting to consider switching to an MSi Z87M-G43 or H87M-G43, although it will take more work as compared to a Gigabyte board until I get OS X up and running.

Hi, have you been successful with your build?
Last week I bought the same CPU, Motherboard and PSU as you listed, but I had to return the MOBO for the second time already since they appeared to be dead on arrival. I couldn't even make the MOBO beep. The fans would start spinning, then stop after one or two seconds, then start again, stop and so on. I tried it with a different PSU, even without RAM to get a missing RAM beep at least. Nothing. Now the MOBO with installed CPU, and RAM will be checked by the shop I bought the stuff from (They had the nerve to request 10 Euros for that, but I talked them out of it).

Now that I had this experience and read about all the freezing problems with 8 series Gigabyte MOBOs, I'm starting to consider switching to an MSi Z87M-G43 or H87M-G43, although it will take more work as compared to a Gigabyte board until I get OS X up and running.

Have you requested the board to be updated to the latest BIOS? Did you tell them you were using a Haswell refresh CPU?

Have you requested the board to be updated to the latest BIOS? Did you tell them you were using a Haswell refresh CPU?

I haven't asked them to update the BIOS. But as far as I know, it should be possible to get into the BIOS to do the update even with the Haswell Refresh CPU installed before the update. See http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=14557.0
But I couldn't get into the BIOS, so I think something is broken. Perhaps it's the CPU, however unlikely.

I'll let you know how things develop.

Please do!

Unless there is a difference between the K and non-K series, although I can't think why there would be, this thread would suggest that flashing the motherboard from USB is not possible on Gigabyte boards.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/buying-ad...k-series-cpus-compatible-z87-boards-ootb.html

I'm planning to ask the supplier to update the board for me before it is shipped (when I FINALLY get around to finishing this thing!!), but, at the moment, the whole issue is about as clear as mud....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back