Contribute
Register

New Player - Low Profile Intel DH61AG mini-ITX - G4 Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: New Player - Low Profile Intel DH61AG mini-ITX

So does the Dell PSU have enough juice to power (2) SATA drives? + a DVD ROM?

Re: New Player - Low Profile Intel H61AG mini-ITX

neilhart said:
I took short cuts to get the new motherboard up an running. I cloned Lion 10.7.2 to the SSD, used Chimera 1.6.0 for a bootloader and Multibeast 4.1.0 to tweak the kexts.

What works: (see the extensions attachments for the actual kexts)

Boots OS X 10.7.2 fast to the desktop.
Ethernet
HD3000 - DVI and HDMI (have not looked a sound over HDMI)
Sound
USB 2 and USB 3

I need more time on the system to fine tune it. But the main worry is over; it runs and appears stable (this base upon about 6 hours of run time).

Now to find another G4 Cube to hack.

neil

Neil,

You DA MAN!

I have this board (as of last Friday) but have been struggling with UniBeast where I get the infamous 'still waiting for root device.'

Can you share BIOS settings (I could not find the HPET under Power mgmt)?

If you were able to clone a 10.7.2 and boot with Chimera, might there be something I am missing?

Looking forward to your advice! I am putting this into a Viako 55 mm tall case using Viako's AC adapter.

Thanks!

Q - Power Managment?
A - Do not know yet - part of the fine tuning to come.

Q - Two Sata and Optical drives?
A - There are only two SATA ports on board. Anyone thinking of loading this board up should study the Intel docs and plan the power budget. I am prepared to stop buying and installing an optical drive in every box and I am moving away from internal 3.5" drives, so this board suits my needs.

Q - HPET in the BIOS
A - I did not find a setting, but it was a couple of quick passes through.

Q - BIOS settings
A - Just the normal SATA to AHCI and a new one, UEFI I think, needed to be selected for OS X to boot.

Q - UniBeast vs a shortcut
A - I have not done a UniBeast yet. I have a home made USB Installer which is a clone of the xMove generated 10.7 installer with an Easybeast /Extra folder and Chimera. But moving LION images around, I have found a cloned 10.7.2 drive to be viable across most i-core CPU machines that I have tried. And the need for a DSDT.aml is greatly diminished with these new boards, new CPUs and LION. Sleep is over-rated as is power management. Look at the spec for the i3-2125 and you will see that Intel has left some of this detail of these lower end CPUs.

Q - HDMI audio
A - I personally not interested as my audio systems are not directly linked to HDMI output. So bringing this up is only of passing interest.

neil

@neilhart (sorry for the typo)

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try them out later today. Do you plan to utilize the mPCI-e slots for SSD and wifi?

slowjin said:
@neilhard

Thanks for the quick replies. I will try them out later today. Do you plan to utilize the mPCI-e slots for SSD and wifi?

The mSATA / mini-pcie SSDs are too many $$ at the moment. And depends upon the final form.

There are some 1/2 size Wifi/Bluetooth cards that I am looking at and trying to learn if one would be seen as an OS X Airport. These cards are reasonable, and I may buy and try.

neil

kwiksilver said:
If you extract the DSDT someone should be able to edit it and get power management and HDMI audio working I'd assume.

Also any reason for i3 2125 over the i3 2105??

More power and I always have to say but it' really true. With the 2125 the chance of the artifacts are lower or there's no artifacts with it. :)

And congratulation neil! Very sweet build! I want it... :lol:

Mate94 said:
kwiksilver said:
If you extract the DSDT someone should be able to edit it and get power management and HDMI audio working I'd assume.

Also any reason for i3 2125 over the i3 2105??

More power and I always have to say but it' really true. With the 2125 the chance of the artifacts are lower or there's no artifacts with it. :)

And congratulation neil! Very sweet build! I want it... :lol:

Note that my intent is to run HD3000 graphics on this motherboard. When you go through the Intel approved CPUs you are left with the i3-2125 as the strongest CPU.

And just to note that it can be done, I have completed a fresh install of xMove Lion 10.7 followed by an combo update to 10.7.2. Note I used rBoot CD to get the installer running. This is an Easybeast installation. I assume UniBeast USB installer would work as we'll (I just have not gone down that path). Everything important to me works (Ethernet, Sound, Dual Displays, Accelerated Selectable High Resolution, USB 2 and USB 3...).

Sleep and wake from sleep does not work (yet).

neil

neilhart said:
Sleep and wake from sleep does not work (yet).neil

Did you edit a DSDT for this mobo?

beelzebozo said:
neilhart said:

I'm interested in too, because this motherboard can replace the H67N-USB3-B3, because in the USA seems like it's Out of Stock. Just in case. :)

beelzebozo said:
neilhart said:

Not at this point. I just brought it up on Monday evening and yesterday I completed a fresh Lion install.

If you know of someone that is good at DSDT.aml generation I would be glad to work with them on this one. I noted that MdLd0n on Insanleymac has stopped responding to user requests for DSDT help (last post that I saw was early October).

And an update on CPU selection. I re-read the Intel table of compatible CPUs and noted that there is an i5-2405S listed. This one has 4 cores with 4 threads and more features. However it is more $$ but would run a HD3000 system.

neil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back