Contribute
Register

New NVIDIA Web Driver release installation "failed" and broken PreferencePane (Pascal) on 10.12.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170 Pro Gaming
CPU
Intel i5 6600K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
I checked for updates in the NVIDIA Driver Manager (while on *f01), downloaded the update and started the installation, which proceeded normally but after the verification step it failed. I tried clicking on the X button, then on the button to show the error log but nothing happened.

I then rebooted, still had NVIDIA icon on the MenuBar and on System Preferences working properly and showing the new driver version (*f02). I noticed Night Shift still required a workaround to work after a reboot, which should've been fixed from what I've read (I just switch resolutions and it works).

I uninstalled via Driver Manager, rebooted and reinstalled the driver via .pkg (downloaded from the link provided in the Downloads section on this website) but to no avail: the driver seems to be working properly (-Night Shift still broken, wtf), but the PreferencePane won't work (it appears in System Preferences, though when clicked a notice comes up "Unable to open the NVIDIA Driver Manager" and suggests to reinstall the driver) and there's no MenuBar icon anymore.

I have no idea what's going on here, I tried changing SMBIOS from 17,1 to 14,2 (which was the definition I had when I first installed the driver, then I changed it because I was suggested to do so on Skylake), reinstalled, same issue.

Went back to 17,1, tried uninstalling and rolling back to previous version (*f01), was surprised to see the exact same issues as with the new version (everything went fine when I first installed the *f01 driver last week).

Any ideas? Another thing: I've recently cloned my system from a HDD to a SSD, I don't have a recovery partition anymore but I don't think that's the culprit.

Also, would be nice to read the error log from the installation, but as I said nothing appears when i click on the button to show it and I don't know where and if it's stored somewhere.

The *.prefPane folders are located under /Library/PreferencePanes (for CUDA and NVIDIA Driver Manager), I can use the "Nvidia Web Driver Uninstaller.app" to uninstall, but the other *.app related to the Driver Manager won't work.

I've read other people are having this issue with the installation in other threads, I hope we can find a solution.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.46.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.46.33 PM.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 398
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.47.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.47.09 PM.png
    34.3 KB · Views: 408
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.47.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.47.57 PM.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 361
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.48.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 6.48.13 PM.png
    116 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Yup, having the same issues.

Screen Shot 2017-04-20 at 9.41.49 AM.png

Not sure. I commented in the other thread to download it from the site but read here you had already done that. I don't encounter any issues when updating through the Driver Manager.

Yup, having the same issues.

View attachment 249696
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling? Are the PreferencePane and MenuBar items still there and working before/after attempting reinstallation? Can you get an error log by pressing X button after failed installation and clicking on the "Show Error" button? My OCD is driving me crazy, damn you Nvidia. At least the driver part appears to be somehow working (except for Night Shift which should've been fixed... did it even update the actual driver?).

Last edited:
I had a similar issue a while back, when I had a 970, and my only solution was to re-install the OS. Not really the ideal solution but at least it's something.

I had a similar issue a while back, when I had a 970, and my only solution was to re-install the OS. Not really the ideal solution but at least it's something.
REEEEE, I really hope it doesn't come to that. I'm looking into it atm. Thanks for replying.

YAY! I solved it. Phew.
Looking at /var/log system and install logs, turns out I had some FakeSMC plugins leftovers from HWSensors (which wasn't working and I didn't uninstall properly) that were somehow preventing the Nvidia installer from completing the installation (probably couldn't rebuild kext cache without any errors and rolled back to previous driver without notice and messing up prefpane, btw rly niec isntaller nvidia :cool:).

Removed Nvidia driver, reinstalled FakeSMC, rebuilt kextcache, rebooted and reinstalled Nvidia driver successfully, rebooted again et voila, Night Shift working properly and PreferencePane/MenuBar item back to normal. :lol:

Last edited:
I have been able to install the Web Drivers properly but my OSX Sierra won't switch to the Nvidia driver and returns to the default driver everytime. I tried all yours steps on the first post for enabling NVram but no luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back