Contribute
Register

New motherboard, old install. Will it work???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU
i5 2500k
Graphics
GTX 650 TI Boost
Hello ALL,

So my mothboard went (GA H61N USB3) and I had to ship it back to Gigabyte. Instead of waiting 2 plus weeks for a replacement, I decided to buy a new one.

The thing is – I got a different model Gigabyte MB (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) but would like to use the same hard drive and same install. Is it possible? I figure I get the dsdt for the new motherboard (it is supported), but I assume as soon as I start the new rig it will KP since it has the old dsdt. How would I proceed once I have the new dsdt?

eric90066 said:
Hello ALL,

So my mothboard went (GA H61N USB3) and I had to ship it back to Gigabyte. Instead of waiting 2 plus weeks for a replacement, I decided to buy a new one.

The thing is – I got a different model Gigabyte MB (GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3) but would like to use the same hard drive and same install. Is it possible? I figure I get the dsdt for the new motherboard (it is supported), but I assume as soon as I start the new rig it will KP since it has the old dsdt. How would I proceed once I have the new dsdt?

I would say it is certainly possible. I built my old build using a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard with a Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU (Socket 775) and directly replace it with the current motherboard and CPU (see signature below). It works right away with both Snow Leopard and Lion and without problems so far. I don't use a DSDT, though.

Jamesbond007 said:
eric90066 said:
Hello ALL,

I would say it is certainly possible. I built my old build using a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L motherboard with a Core 2 Quad Q9550 CPU (Socket 775) and directly replace it with the current motherboard and CPU (see signature below). It works right away with both Snow Leopard and Lion and without problems so far. I don't use a DSDT, though.

James,

I think I am going to give it a try. I don't mind wiping the hard drive, I just need to boot in to take a look at a few things and see what files I might need to transfer over to a usb drive. Hopefully I can get into Lion without KP.

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back