Sapphire HD 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello

I recently replaced my motherboard when the old one died after only one month of use. It boots fine now with the new one but now only the onboard graphics work. It doesn't even recognize that my card is in there.

Here are my specs:
Running ML 10.8.1
i7 2600k CPU
Gigabyte Z77-UD3H Motherb
oard
AMD Sapphire HD 6870 GPU
Corsare 16GB RAM
ModXTreme-Pro 600W PSU

So here's the story. About two months ago I decided to build my first hackintosh with the parts listed above. I got it to run fine fairly easily but had trouble with getting the graphics card to work. Not sure what I did, but I got it to work. It was running relatively flawlessly for a good month.

Last week I came home from work and it wouldn't power on. I assumed it was the psu so I got a new one but it didn't change. I managed to finally get it to power up, but it went through an endless post cycle. I then went and exchanged the mobo for a new one of the same kind. It booted up right away without me having to change any of the bios. I used the onboard graphics at first and it worked fine. I attached my graphics card correctly and nothing. the fan spins up fine but i get nothing from my monitor. It just says that there's no input. I'm positive the monitor works because it does when I'm on the internal GPU. When i look in the system profiler, it says that theres no PCI card.

I tried reseating it multiple times and checked the psu connection as well. I tried turning off the internal graphics but I got nothing. tried to change the GPU priority too. I went through attempts to install kexts, change some text in the org.chameleon.Boot.plist file to no avail. I'm beside myself on how it wouldn't work even though it worked so well for so long. Also, I'm not sure if this matters but I have seemingly way to many kexts for graphics in my extensions folder.
Please, any help/suggestions would really help. I think it's safe to assume that the card is not dead as it spins up normally? I really have no clue at this point... I like to think I'm good with computers so anything, please.

Thank you so much in advance!

Brent

Thanks so much for the quick reply!

It sounds promising. My only hang up is that I already have a running version of ML installed with the settings the way I like it and so forth. Is this a fresh installation or can I keep my present setup?

If you have a working partition then its best to try the new installation on a test drive.

i'm so sorry. Just not sure what you mean.. Is there any way you could explain further?

Ok. Sorry for the wait on the update. So I tried what you said to do and still nothing. i deleted the 6000 kext from the flash drive, emptied the bin, and did a fresh install. I reloaded chimera, reinstalled the kext and It ran fine but still no GPU. the ONLY thing i can think of is I wasn't able to boot up with GraphicsEnabler=No since my non bluetooth keyboard cant write the letter E. After that i tried restoring to a last known working setup i had with time machine to no avail.

Do you think there is any perimeters I don't have right in the BIOS? Maybe something wrong with my org.chameleon.Boot.plist? I'm getting a bit frustrated with it at this point. Really any ideas would help.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back